It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ETs / UFOs as Advanced Machine Intelligence.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I guess it just depends on what we're willing to call a "machine." In my mind, insects are like little machines, running around with their tiny efficient bodies using a microscopic brain with only a few simple programs/instincts.

Anyway, I think it might be a mistake to see these things as machines the way we consider machines, and swapping out alien creatures for robots, even though that's what our brains are telling us they most closely resemble. There is probably more to them than that.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I guess it just depends on what we're willing to call a "machine." In my mind, insects are like little machines, running around with their tiny efficient bodies using a microscopic brain with only a few simple programs/instincts.

Ha interesting point mate and I suppose it's all about context - macro images of insects make them look more 'organic' (link) but I suppose large numbers of human beings running around could also resemble something machine-like from a certain perspective.

Anyway, I think it might be a mistake to see these things as machines the way we consider machines, and swapping out alien creatures for robots, even though that's what our brains are telling us they most closely resemble. There is probably more to them than that.

Good point there - hell, maybe all the different UFO occupant reports are products of different AI avatars from 3D printers - who knows?

Have you read the short story 'The State Of The Art' by Ian M. Banks? Certainly makes a person think!

Know you will probably have read it but for those who haven't below is a great article on AI by Tim Urban (sourced by AdmireTheDistance).

The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence
edit on 30-11-2016 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

And humans are just bigger machines. Self replicating machines at that. Given a high enough degree of technology, I do not see any problems with future "humans" being pretty much any size and shape, completely machine based. The ultimate goal would probably be to create an artificial cellular structure, allowing you to control your body to fit any environment in the universe (need 4 arms for a task? Well then just grow them out). Actually "becoming" a UFO is problematic in the sense that you need a strong propulsion system, but if every human can have that already built in (but not necessarily always used) then why not? Again, its a matter of the degree of technology. If everyone could wear a small fanny pack that enabled you to fly... we would wear them. If it was the size of a house, not so much.

Sure we would loose pretty much everything that makes us human and compress it down the very essence of life - curiousity, evolution, will, etc - but hey you loose some and win some

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Seth Shostak still going on about AI aliens.

… any society that invents radio, so we can hear them, within a few centuries, they’ve invented their successors. And I think that’s important, because the successors are machines.

SETI Expert Says Aliens Are Probably Robotic Life Forms

a reply to: merka

Enjoyed reading that post mate and although I don't like keep recommending Sci Fi literature have you read "Diamond Dogs' by Alasdair Reynolds - it's quite a relevant one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join