It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ETs / UFOs as Advanced Machine Intelligence.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Astronomer Seth Shostak is a pretty controversial chap when it comes to the UFO subject (and actually conducting research into it) but did think he made some really interesting points towards the end of this presentation about the high probability of extra-terrestrial life being some form of advanced machine intelligence (he also bets the audience a cup of coffee that we'll actually find it by 2030).

See 11:00

SETI chief astronomer Seth Shostak bet hundreds of people at our Boing Boing: Ingenuity live event that we'll hear from an extraterrestrial within 25 years.

Not to confuse the two but a few researchers down the years have also speculated that some actual UFOs could be the product of a visiting post-biological intelligence and Richard Dolan makes some relevant comments below in his article about UFO origin and biologist Ivan T. Sanderson (who also suggested the possibility that UFO occupants may be artificial life forms).

What Are They?

Most scientists involved in artificial intelligence research are convinced that we are on the verge of a new era in civilization: the age of intelligent machines. Many of them also believe in the inevitability of an event they call the Singularity. This is believed to happen when computer intelligence becomes able to upgrade itself, to reprogram itself continuously, and become ... self-aware.

Such a process, these experts argue, will involve a rapid, exponential increase in computer intelligence, leaving human intelligence in the dust. A similar event occurred when human intelligence exploded within the incredibly brief period (in biological evolutionary terms) of a few million years. But in the case of machine intelligence, the pace will be much, much faster.

Think of it this way. Moore’s Law is widely known within the field of computer science. In 1965, Gordon E. Moore (now the Chairman Emeritus of Intel Corp.) predicted that the number of transistors per integrated circuit would double every 18 months. Incredibly, this has held true. Thus, in 1971, the leading integrated circuit contained just over two thousand transistors; by Year 2000 that number was 42 million..

On UFOs

I haven’t encountered any AI theorist discussing the matter of UFOs. I imagine that most of them don’t give this topic the time of day. (Then again, I’ve learned always to expect surprises: there are probably a few who are interested, but aren’t shouting it from the rooftops). All of them, however, discuss future machine intelligence as something that will be so far greater than ours as to be alien (their word).

Could it be that such a progression is a normal one, not just here on Earth, but elsewhere in the universe where intelligent life may have evolved? The natural course of evolution does not give us unlimited intelligence, but the intelligence necessary to exist within a natural ecosystem. To get beyond that – say, to develop the intelligence and technology to reach the stars – more than natural selection is needed.

Human beings are not suited to live in space, nor indeed any place other than Earth, at least not for the long term. We evolved here, with Earth’s unique gravity, magnetic fields, temperature, microbes, atmosphere, and food. To live elsewhere, we will need to be modified, perhaps so much that the result would be something entirely different. A new species, created with some of our DNA, would probably be the most logical means of sending biological organisms to distant worlds. Unless, of course, it’s a better choice to let the machines go it alone.

If on Earth, why not elsewhere? Indeed, wouldn’t this be the most logical scenario?

What of the UFOs that people see? What of the alien beings? I think it most plausible that these are the products of advanced machine intelligence. Possibly of a similar order to the intelligence that we may soon achieve with our own machines. We cannot today conceive of the technology to take us to the stars. But what about a future machine of transcendent intelligence? Has machine intelligence from elsewhere already done so?

Judging from the long history of UFO sightings and reports, I think the answer is yes.

What Are They?

Not to be outdone the late Mac Tonnies also postulated about UFOs being the product of an 'inconceivably ancient machine intelligence' so it does look like the idea has been kicking around for a while (full article also contains good section called 'Establishing the Foundations').

UFOs as Vanguards of a Post-Biological Intelligence

In my own case, the study of UFOs and occupant encounters has led me to two predominant interpretations, each at odds with the traditionally accepted Extraterrestrial Hypothesis (ETH). In one scenario, the beings sighted since at least the 1950s (and, if folklore is any indication, long before) are the denizens of an invisible landscape: technologically savvy but impoverished hominids I've dubbed "cryptoterrestrials." In the other, the enduring UFO spectacle is the product of an almost inconceivably ancient machine intelligence not unlike that portrayed in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001.

Link

Anyone out there any thoughts on this one?
edit on 19-2-2015 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Heh, considering the stuff that appears on this site, I will share this experience, or if you wish you may call it a dream. But truly it was more than that.

The results go with this post, yet I have not had time to read replies. In my experience/dream which is not, I came to my senses while being lifted in a white light. Yup, just like in the movies, but it was kind of fun. I looked up and saw the belly of this craft I was approaching and was surprised to see it was organic. Not something constructed but a living thing. As I approached the belly I hoped like hell they would at least open up so I wouldn't be smashed against the skin.

No worry, I just faded through to the inside where a great surprise awaited me. The craft was in fact alive, it was a sentient being, it greeted me warmly like an old friend. It was as though I had come home from a long trip, cool as hell. What is neat is, when you want to look out, you don't need windows, all is visible. If this were just a dream, it was one of what seems to be a learning and yes, I think others can grow, build or whatever you wish to call it, intelligence of any shape or size. Who's to say machines can't be friends. Hell, I enjoyed getting answers from by ipad tonight. Just ask it which is better, a droid or apple.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I'm not so sure about UFOs, but, I'm fairly confident of the higher likelihood of first contact with any Aliens we legitimately discover through proper scientific inquiry for being machine/post-biological.

Machines would be a hardier, more durable approach toward interstellar exploration, and the next better thing than letting machines do the work would be through direct interaction via post-biological synthetic existence that would allow the same durability of a machine, but the flexibility of independent decision making with biological roots.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I operate from this perspective.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I can’t comment on the subject of UFO’s, but I do have very definite thoughts/feelings about the rise of machine intelligence.

I believe that soon there will be a revolution in computing and information technology that will change the world, and our place in it, in a very significant way. It will be when reliable, working quantum computers become available. It will signify a noteable evolutionary step up the ladder, possibly leading to a paradigm shift in our perception of reality in certain areas. Classical digital (binary) computers will not disappear entirely, since quantum computers will be most suitable for certain distinct classes of computation; but in many areas of science and technology quantum computers will provide solutions to problems never before possible using classical systems. And as it relates to this thread, AI and computer learning may benefit greatly from the new technology. Some may think I’m exaggerating a bit, but I’m sticking with it.

Not only will machines/robots become intelligent and aware, they will also become our friends and companions. We will interact with them quite naturally, forming relationships with strong emotional bonds. Ha! We’ll probably have to change our laws to allow marrying them!! Although the divorce rate may be very high, as it will not take long for them to become bored and disgusted with us. And all of this is literally right around the corner; before the turn of the century.

Advances beyond that have the potential to get a little scary, though, and I hope we carefully think through every step we make. It will not be long before machines will program themselves better than we can, be capable of maintaining themselves (including replacing their own parts), they will reproduce (make other machines), and evolve by improving the next generation based upon their own faults and limitations. Kinda sounds like “life”, doesn’t it? Ultimately, who is the servant and who is the master could become an issue. Time will tell.

At any rate, I think it’s quite conceivable that if there exists higher intelligences in this universe, then the possibility of intelligent machine “life” is surely real. And it’s superior intelligence over ours may be so great as to be beyond our comprehension. We’re just the rookies in this game...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Interesting theory. Nothing would surprise me and I agree that surprises
are a foot.
Will take a look at the VID.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I would concur this is indeed a possibility along with other varied forms of life out there. Think about it, we are the youngsters in the universe, and we are sending robot/machines to inspect moons, planets and the cosmos. It makes perfect sense to me, that some form of life we encounter will/would/could be robotic. Think Gort from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
S & F for a well thought out, and put together thread. Thank you for getting my motor going this morning as I really needed it
. If the first alien life form we found happened to be artificial, then we would at least know that there are beings out there somewhere. Who would be building the artificial intelligence as it couldn't have just evolve from one of the 3 domains of life (3 Domains of Life), lol.

Here's another link to add to the one you provided in the OP:
Is AI more common than Biological Intelligence across the Universe?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
To throw a little spice into the mix, what if the machine intelligences were "ours?" Future generations of superintelligent machines that are smart enough to solve the problems our puny human minds can't, including time travel.

I've always said that trying to avoid damaging their own developmental timeline could be a very big motivator for "aliens" not to interact with us too much.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Idk, machines would make better explorers, miners, as well as armies. They need no substance, or sleep, just maintenance.
However, when it comes machines, especially with our technology, I just gotta think, they gotta have their glitches sometimes.

Lets say, Earth becomes entirely like that Keenau Reeves movie. One solar flare, would send that so called advanced civilization backwards.
I do think an advanced race would still keep much of their biology, however, would still have some mechanical implants, or something like that to allow them to interact with their technology. Much like District 9.

Unless, artificial gravity becomes an easy technological standard to combat G-forces.

Ether that, or it will be like Akira, where the villain becomes a giant fetus that absorbs everything.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sending out A.I. to the farthest reaches of our galaxy might be a great way to surpass our issues with the van allen radiation belts and perhaps some other unseen issues with other planetary conundrums, why wouldn't other forms of intelligence see the same advantages of doing the same. Great thread!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
kind of a stupid concept. machines can't be alive. that's why we call them machines. apparently he's never watched star trek or had a lucid thought in his entire life! but he's a science guy so what does he know about living! next i suppose he'll try and convince us that flying spaghetti monsters evolved from some kind of flying manicotti or that all life is sacred or some bs like that! science guys! they're always so funny and SO one dimensional. If arthur c clarke had siad this? never happen. He's the best science guy there ever was!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by karl 12

I'm not so sure about UFOs, but, I'm fairly confident of the higher likelihood of first contact with any Aliens we legitimately discover through proper scientific inquiry for being machine/post-biological.

Machines would be a hardier, more durable approach toward interstellar exploration, and the next better thing than letting machines do the work would be through direct interaction via post-biological synthetic existence that would allow the same durability of a machine, but the flexibility of independent decision making with biological roots.

I've got to disagree with you on that last point. Machines have the potential to be much more flexible in their intelligence because they can be engineered to exceed the constraints of biologically evolved intelligence. I think that alone is reason enough to expect ET intelligence to be machine based, because the advantage of machine intelligence over biological intelligence is potentially overwhelming.

I honestly think a singularity type scenario is almost a certainty in the development of any technological civilization. I think the only thing that could prevent this from happening, besides a catastrophe of some kind, is if artificial intelligence is actually impossible for some as of yet unforseen reason.

Slightly off topic: Has anyone else noticed a surge of interest lately in machine intelligence and the singularity? I've seen a lot of comercials in the past few weeks for movies and TV shows on the subject. I wonder why the sudden interest?
edit on 17-1-2014 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wonder if this is related to the Simulation theory. If this was all a computer program or hologram or whatever, then they might have bots designed to monitor the experiment and make adjustments, fix errors and stuff? I dunno that's probably not it but who knows?

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

No reason why the AMIH couldn't account for some sightings or why it couldn't co-exist with both the ETH and the IDH !

I guess once the proven number of planets with non-related sentient races in the universe exceeds 1 the chances are it could be a large number, all at differing points in their evolutionary scale.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Tearman

I've got to disagree with you on that last point. Machines have the potential to be much more flexible in their intelligence because they can be engineered to exceed the constraints of biologically evolved intelligence. I think that alone is reason enough to expect ET intelligence to be machine based, because the advantage of machine intelligence over biological intelligence is potentially overwhelming.

I honestly think a singularity type scenario is almost a certainty in the development of any technological civilization. I think the only thing that could prevent this from happening, besides a catastrophe of some kind, is if artificial intelligence is actually impossible for some as of yet unforseen reason.

Slightly off topic: Has anyone else noticed a surge of interest lately in machine intelligence and the singularity? I've seen a lot of comercials in the past few weeks for movies and TV shows on the subject. I wonder why the sudden interest?

I don't disagree with your points, but, I feel I must add to that the stubborn insistence of life (at least that we've observed) to adapt, and evolve.

While sending pure machines, regardless the sophistication, even if indistinguishable from biology, to explore the universe is the logical decision in terms of durability, and robustness to weather most of the extremes of interstellar travel, including the possibilities of deep time, we must consider the biological parent in potentially taking the step into post-biology, not only for issues of mortality, but, from a platform of curiosity as well.

I, for one, for instance, would quite readily decant from biology given technological feasibility to transfer into a fully synthetic body in that such could equate to getting off this planet for direct gloves off exploration and interaction with the rest of the Universe.
Distributed intelligence is also a robust solution in combining the durability of a machine, but, also the safety that comes in nodal distribution such that should function cease through accident, or purpose in one agent, a cluster, swarm, or even cloud of self replicating, self maintaining and sustaining replacements would decrease failure potentials.

In short, yes, should we discover Aliens, it's certainly likely they may be machines, possibly post-biological machines, and/or distributed intelligences.

Such could drift dormant in perpetuity near anywhere and any when in the Universe where power is sustained from naturally occurring radio waves similar the concept demonstrated in Google's Contact lens for diabetes.
Any sufficiently 'lonely', or strategically minded civilization could seed its own galaxy with an entire network of such self sustaining/maintaining/replicating pockets of ambush agents lying in wait to make contact with ... anyone for whatever purpose, whether social, altruistic, or even hostile.

Thus, if there are, or ever were any other intelligent, technological civilizations in our galaxy, it would seem only rational to expect encounters with such patient remnants of any past civilization now dormant.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

karl 12
Astronomer Seth Shostak is a pretty controversial chap when it comes to the UFO subject (and actually conducting research into it) but did think he made some really interesting points towards the end of this presentation about the high probability of extra-terrestrial life being some form of advanced machine intelligence (he also bets the audience a cup of coffee that we'll actually find it by 2030).

Seems a reasonable posit.

By 2030 our own machine intelligence might reach a similar level of sophistication.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

I don't disagree with your points, but, I feel I must add to that the stubborn insistence of life (at least that we've observed) to adapt, and evolve.

While sending pure machines, regardless the sophistication, even if indistinguishable from biology, to explore the universe is the logical decision in terms of durability, and robustness to weather most of the extremes of interstellar travel, including the possibilities of deep time, we must consider the biological parent in potentially taking the step into post-biology, not only for issues of mortality, but, from a platform of curiosity as well.
I'm not really recognizing the difference between machine intelligence of a totally synthetic nature, and that which has evolved from some biological past. I think in both cases, the ability to engineer intelligence is the important aspect. Engineered intelligence will be the norm and whatever intelligence we encounter, I bet it will be artificial.

Thus, if there are, or ever were any other intelligent, technological civilizations in our galaxy, it would seem only rational to expect encounters with such patient remnants of any past civilization now dormant.
Yes. If there have been any and if any of them have survived to reach the technological capability to expand into space. Part of me wants to say all technological civilizations are doomed to implode--or to fly apart. I think as they increase in complexity, there might come a point where a civilization loses internal cohesion and splinters off into many remnants. The result could be a conflict massive enough to undo what cultural complexity led to the situation in the first place. Thus civilizations might hover around a pre-singularity state, or possibly self-destruct whenever they cross the event horizon.
edit on 26-1-2014 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

By 2030 our own machine intelligence might reach a similar level of sophistication.

Perhaps even sooner than 2030 given the work being done to reduce the bottleneck between the human and machine intelligence constructs. There are lots of classified projects working to develop human machine intelligence hybrids offering the best of augmented biological, synthetic biology, and pure machine technologies.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Great reading (sourced by StringTheory)

THEY'RE MADE OUT OF MEAT

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all the way through. They're completely meat."

"That's impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the stars?"

"They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in that sector and they're made out of meat."

"Maybe they're like the orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence that goes through a meat stage."

"Nope. They're born meat and they die meat. We studied them for several of their life spans, which didn't take long. Do you have any idea what's the life span of meat?"

"Spare me. Okay, maybe they're only part meat. You know, like the weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside."

"Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads, like the weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They're meat all the way through."

"No brain?"

"Oh, there's a brain all right. It's just that the brain is made out of meat! That's what I've been trying to tell you."

"So ... what does the thinking?"

"You're not understanding, are you? You're refusing to deal with what I'm telling you. The brain does the thinking. The meat."

"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"

"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal! Are you beginning to get the picture or do I have to start all over?"

"Omigod. You're serious then. They're made out of meat."

"Thank you. Finally. Yes. They are indeed made out of meat. And they've been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of their years."

"Omigod. So what does this meat have in mind?"

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the Universe, contact other sentiences, swap ideas and information. The usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat."

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio. 'Hello. Anyone out there. Anybody home.' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"
"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe, without prejudice, fear or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say? 'Hello, meat. How's it going?' But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with here?"

"Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat containers, but they can't live on them. And being meat, they can only travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim. Infinitesimal, in fact."

"So we just pretend there's no one home in the Universe."

"That's it."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you probed? You're sure they won't remember?"

"They'll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads and smoothed out their meat so that we're just a dream to them."

"A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat's dream."

"And we marked the entire sector unoccupied."

"Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others? Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?"

"Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen core cluster intelligence in a class nine star in G445 zone. Was in contact two galactic rotations ago, wants to be friendly again."

"They always come around."

"And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the Universe would be if one were all alone ..."

link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join