It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannot upload anything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I used to be able to. But, not now. I get _javascript errors and (using windows xp along with safari, IE8) the downarrow does not produce the sub-menu bar. In win xp firefox 3.8, I select the upload item off the menu, select my file, and push the load button, but then nothing happens. Yes, I have _javascript enabled on all browsers. Yes, I realise that win xp is not supported any longer, but everyone is not going to upgrade to a more recent browser just to use ATS. There IS life outside one forum and sometimes the tried and trusted OS and browser combinations are better than the newer upgrades.

I think your programming guys are trying to be too clever and assume that we all have up-to-date browsers which - in a real world, is not true. Could we have more testing in all the major browsers and versions and an old and trusted method of uploading files please? One which just works with old browsers. This is so frustrating. I mentioned this upload problem some time ago (in the older version of the site) so it is a recurring management problem.

I also have a linux side to my machine running firefox browser (the Debian Squeeze standard one) called iceweasel. That does not work either. So across windows xp and linux debian squeeze NONE of these upload methods work and the only common factor is the software. I know it is not nice to hear this either.

This comes from an old programmer so I know a little about what I am saying. I also know that testing is a huge and costly part of the maintenance of a website which cannot be ignored.

So, is it possible to take things back a step or two and realise that in order to post we will have to have certain functionality not just the writing of posts, but also the peripheral tasks associated with that.

There is also something wrong with the 'preview' button too recently. I think this preview button and the upload problem have some _javascript things in common as they produce browser error console messages on all my different browsers.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Huh, interesting. I can't upload anything from my Win8 desktop at all, despite having the same browser, same settings, same additional softwares & versions (Adobe, Java, etc) I have no selection/search & upload button options at all, no matter what browser I use (FF, Safari, Chrome) On my Win7 netbook, I'm good, everything shows up & everything works as it should.

Would it be safe to assume that the site has "issues" with certain Windows versions?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Some issues may be to do with not having the flash plugin installed, however on mine I have the flash plugin installed.
I did find this caused a problem in the past with the upload button not working and once I installed flash, it fixed it for me. You may want to try that or reinstall flash plugin perhaps? Now though, I think there are program and lazy programmer issues.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Are you looking in the right spot? The upload should be right under ........................here

err..............on the right of the right of the logout tab

click on the check mark thing and uploads should drop down with other features.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
i'm running xp with newest FF version, can't upload pics in posts/replies. i have them uploaded to ats library, but can't upload to thread replies/posts. also noticed when i made a reply today, only the first sentence was in the reply, tried to correct it and nothing worked, so just left it expecting a mod to come along and delete it for not being enough of a post.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Today it is worse. I have mail/messages but I cannot read them. There are multiple errors in the IE8 error console giving the messages.php program as wrong.

This is really, really frustrating.

The programmers need to decide on the lowest/oldest browser supported and then make code which works for that and let everyone know. Then it is their choice whether they upgrade to a newer browser or not. Again I have tried to read my message in both Debian iceweasel and in IE8 under win xp and neither will allow me to see it and both report multiple _javascript errors.

I understand firefighting software which may have been written by others (mostly contractors) and have now gone on to other contracts. I have been a contract programmer in the past and the hiring company wants you to get up to speed as quickly as possible and produce results. Maybe stop and take stock of the situation and start a dialogue with the users is a way forward?

Really, it does not matter if the site does not have the best look or feel, but it is important that it works correctly. If folks can use the existing basic features, then they will be happy and then new features can be added one by one when they become necessary.

I feel that the drive to produce a new fresh look to the desktop has overtaken practicality and ease of use. It takes very little to muddy a reputation and so what if your website is called 'old fashioned' that can be remedied over time with planned and tested updates to both content and functionality.

Thats my 2c worth anyway.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The messages are working now. Thanks guys. I know it is not easy to keep everyone happy.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The uploads page is still not working and to try and get some indication where the problem lies, I validated the CSS
jigsaw.w3.org...

and the HTML
validator.w3.org...

in Windows xp & IE8 the upload arrow does nothing for me.

new topics

top topics

join