It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let FREEDOM ring! Is THIS what that means???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Today is Martin Luther King's birthday, so as part of my tribute to an American who actually did more than just "talk about the problems in America"; I'm gonna start it off with a snippet of his famous "I have a dream" (speech) and later, i'll put things in check. If you're already familiar with the speech, scroll to the bottom of the page. You won't believe your eyes!

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

Full Audio Clip

Now, let me show you what's been circulating around facebook. This is an utter disgrace and a shame to all the accomplishments MLK, Jr. made for "African Americans"; and people abroad
Is this what MLK, Jr. died for? Is this "FREEDOM". If so, i'd rather go back to bondage!!! Unbelievable the lows people are sinking to!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We once had freedom.

Now, we have freedumb.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Only in America!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think that MLK is rolling in his grave today. He was a great man and a great roll model for a entire generation but young people seem to gravitate to pop stars and athletes. I also find it kinda sad that in the forty plus years since his death that we still name bridges and streets after him (I have no problem with that by the way) because black icons are hard to find. So much potential for greatness is just being left to flounder. Whatever the reason, African Americans dont have anyone to focus them to do great things. I thought Obama might be that guys but he just turned into a joke. We all need another Martin Luther king jr.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Do you know why Stone Mountain and Lookout Mountain were mentioned?

KKK strongholds/HQ

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Well, thank you for posting the excerpt from his speech.

The other part, that is so sad that people would do that to his image. Seems like we are rotting from the inside as a society.

S and F.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Kind of like this:

The premisis is that Dr. King didn't die when he was shot in '68, but went into a coma and was awakend some 40 years later.

Now, before you go and get your shorts in a wad over some language, please know that Boondocks is written and produced by Aaron McGruder, a black guy who seems to get it.
edit on 15-1-2014 by incoserv because: added comment, corrected typo

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Here's the whole episode, if you're interested:

top topics

join