It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing...the mold that is smarter than computer scientists and transport engineers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
This totally blew my mind! Take the time to watch this and you will be amazed.

And humans are supposed to be intelligent beings! This thing has no brain...no capacity for thought and reason- as we currently understand it. Is there actually truth to the "collective conciousness" that people talk about? I can't help but think that there is so much more to the universe than meets the eye after watching this.

Anyone else absolutely - lap you across the face with a wet fish - amazed?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
As a conspiracy site idea....

Feed some of the mold processed foods. And see if it keeps making good decisions.

Eg.... Feed it some BS and see if it grows towards a photo of Obama .

But seriously. Find out what stops it from acting intelligent stay away from these foods.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by taketheredpill

Once an electronics- teacher said to the class: If you need something, say a small switch, you just turn to nature, find the rock with the right set of characteristics, fiddle around somewhat and get it to do it's bit. Or you pick up a random rock, play with it to find out what it can do and build a circuitry around it using some pebbles you already know the characteristics off. The rock aint intelligent, it is just being a rock doing it's special thing. Finding out how you can put that thing to good use is what takes intelligence.

The slime can do a nice trick. (finding the quickest routes (saving resources) with the best set of backups to prevent being cut off the candy too easily.) That does not make it intelligent. It's just another "rock" to play with, trying to mold it into usefulness.

Fun!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Not really that impressed. It seems to have no intelligence at all. Not bashing your video but no it didn't outsmart the engineers. They have more things then a flat surface to calculate when building networks. I think its a waste of time personally. I mean we should study it but we shouldn't dump tons of money into it. Its methods look quite simple and I had no problems understanding how it functioned.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Yeah, not really sure what is so amazing about this to be honest. On the video, the mold seems to use every path to go around the Maze - it doesn't solve it. That isn't to say it won't have it's applications, but it is going very far to claim it " is smarter than computer scientists and transport engineers "

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Makes sense to me!

I wonder if it would stay away from blue cheese - surely it wouldn't be cannabalistic?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Did you actually watch the first video? You will see where that comment came from then.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Not bad! on the time lapse, reminds me of an old "gumby" cartoon! (would have been even better if it was "gumburcules", thanks Dr. John Zoidberg) or something one might hurl up after eating too many curry roles and drinking to many lime flavored liquers!, but is it really better than an x-box? or angry monkeys that build "terra-watt" lasers that can punch a hole through space time, or put together awesome metal bands with names like "judas priest" or "megadeth" or "iron maiden"? No. No, I think not! great color for a retro pick-up truck though! maybe on of those old cab-over willeys jeeps

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by taketheredpill

I watched it, but at work I can't have the audio on - I'll have another look when I get home to give it a fair appraisal

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Maybee this will explain the maze solving a bit better.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Fair enough - what amazes some people can make another barely even bat an eyelid. For me, the fact that the experiment in the first video was recreated and the outcome was the same - the slime mold (I'm pretty sure it was a different batch of mold as well) managed to recreate the most efficient network of transport for the nutrients it needs to survive is in itself quite remarkable. That fact the food was placed out in the same positions as stations in the Greater Tokyo network (the most efficient network on earth apparently) and the molds network was better than the one created by scientists and engineers is what is amazing in my opinion.The fact that the mold didn't know of where there would have been obstacles yet still created it much the same is baffling. Imagine how many collective years of education those involved in the planning of that network would have had – here a slime mold – a single celled amoeba can come in and recreate and improve what humans have done. How many neurons are needed to produce even a single thought no body knows. This organism only has one cell and no brain let alone any neurons. The things it can do, we humans can take a lifetime to learn and even longer to perfect.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
they never took into account that some roads need to take those routes because of mountain ranges.

The scienists should make a replicator of mountains instead of a flat surface.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

So how does it know the route that is the same as those with mountains, if all it has is a flat surface to go by?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh boy, you are a tough crowd today.

I like the little yellow blob, it's a no brainer for me!

Pun intended.

top topics

join