It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Invention: Triton Oxygen Respirator Extracts Air Underwater!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

You know what, i dont care anymore, where do i preorder one?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

brilliant (concept)
by a student who obviously loves sci fi and knows the square roof of fek all about
breathing under water or the technicalities of diving!
shame because it would be a very useful device in the right situations.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

But you need to use water that has O2 dissolved in it, your urine does not have O2 dissolved in it. It has H20, you need (H20)+(o2 in solution). This does not work on water, it removes dissolved O2 from water, two different things we are talking about here. If you jumped in a tub of pure distilled H20 with this device on, you would drown as there is no O2 dissolved in that water for you to breath. It works like fish gills, fish die if there is no O2 dissolved in their water, this is why aquariums have Aerators.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As a certified diver - I can say that this, while cool - won't be used by most divers.

The first problem will be the cost to upgrade. The existing (tank) technology has been around for a while, and people who've invested in their own equipment won't be happy about buying a super-expensive piece of equipment to replace what they already have, and what already works well. The scuba world has an existing infrastructure geared toward the existing tech.

The second problem has more to do with the mechanics of breathing compressed air at depth. At shallow depths (less than or equal to 1 atmosphere - 30 feet), sure - this technology will allow divers to stay under for a long time. Any deeper - the diver is still required to follow dive safety procedures to decompress - or suffer decompression sickness (the bends - dissolved gasses forming bubbles in the blood when decompressed). Each atmosphere of depth has a maximum dive time. The deeper you go, the less time you can spend there before you accumulate more gas in your blood than you can expel through dive decompression. If you can't decompress - a hyperbaric chamber is in your future - at great cost, if your survive long enough to get there.

There is a condition known as nitrogen-narcosis which occurs within a body breathing compressed air at depth. The nitrogen in the air is absorbed into the blood and can make a diver immediately drunk. Not alcohol drunk, but loopy, lightheaded, unaware of his surroundings - the effects differ person-to-person. In all cases it's a bad thing when you lose your faculties, and many who experience nitrogen-narcosis kill themselves by ascending too fast or diving too deep.

The last problem I have with it is - it requires a battery. Battery dies - no air.

As a diver, I won't even consider such tech.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

stutteringp0et
As a diver, I won't even consider such tech.

I also see perhaps some problems, but as is the case with most inventions, it will get hammered till a proper solution is found.

Where I do see perhaps a more real-world application of this technology would be in the underwater mining sector. Being a miner myself, when I dredge for gold I have to rely on the air sent to me with 50-100 feet of hose. A device such as this would eliminate that and also the other factors (IE: Human Observation, clean filteration and gas/diesel fuel costs). Definitely not being encumbered by hoses is a plus in itself.

Ever since seeing an old James Bond Movie where Roger Moore was swimming with the aid of a small device (similar to this), I've hoped that technology would catch up to fantasy (or science fiction for that part).

Excellent tech...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

JohnnyAnonymous
Where I do see perhaps a more real-world application of this technology would be in the underwater mining sector. Being a miner myself, when I dredge for gold I have to rely on the air sent to me with 50-100 feet of hose. A device such as this would eliminate that

So how much dissolved oxygen would be in the water where you are dredging?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If it could be made to work it would be a good safety feature (in addition to immersion suits etc) for passengers flying to oil rigs by helicopter. It would alleviate some of the difficulty of escaping a helicopter ditched in the sea and filling with water.

STASS already fulfils a similar role for military but training requirements mean its not widely used in commercial situations where the passenger may be an unfit and relatively untrained middle aged man/woman.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

ShayneJUK
reply to post by MysterX

brilliant (concept)
by a student who obviously loves sci fi and knows the square roof of fek all about
breathing under water or the technicalities of diving!
shame because it would be a very useful device in the right situations.

Then we're virtually the same person ShayneUK, apart from the student bit!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I personally dont think this could produce enough air for a human to breath in real time.

Another thought : If they are claiming to be able to split oxygen from water then wouldn't that just leave hydrogen? Wouldn't a device that can extract hydrogen be even more useful?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Hijinx, appreciate you posting man, but for the record, i've explained that i missunderstood the way this thing was supposed to work.

I now know it's supposed to scavenge the dissolved Oxygen in the water and not split the water into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

It was a mistake i made in my excitement on finding this, and haste to grab the info and inform ATS members about it...half cocked doesn't do it justice.

Slightly embarrassing mistake...but we're all Human, and we all make 'em, apologies.

edit on 15-1-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stutteringp0et

Yep there are problems.

The infrastructure one is a good example, but you know what people are like, the next new thing has to be had and all that.

Cars replaced horses in the end.

The Nitrogen narcosis thing wouldn't apply though would it? Being an Oxygen only concept, the N wouldn't be involved...could be wrong, i know very little about this stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

You're a gold miner Johnny?

That's truely..wow for me, ever since watching the old Westerns as a kid i've wanted to do that.

Quite jealous of you actually, sounds like an adventurous lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

No...they aren't claiming that PhoenixOD, i did though and was wrong.

They are talking about filtering the dissolved Oxygen in the water. Different thing altogether.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The biggest problem with this device is how they will filter out Oxygen from all the other gases found dissolved in water. Methane, CO2, etc..

Not to mention, this is just a glorified filter. How will they keep it from getting clogged?

I've always imagined a device like this since I was very young, every time I swam in my grandparents pool. When I learned that fish actually do breathe oxygen, and they just take the tiny air bubbles out of the water, and my dad explained to me why our fish tank had a little hose at the bottom making bubbles ( so the fish don't run out of air to breathe ). I figured it would some day be possible to make a device that worked like fish gills.

Then I realized, the bigger the fish, the bigger the gills. We would need a pretty large device to give us enough oxygen to supply our body. We would also either have to constantly swim around like a shark to ram water into our intake, or have some type of pump like the muscles of normal fish to pump water into our intake.

Either way, I'm sure it will be possible one day. I'd probably go with a combination of nano filter and electrolysis. You'd need a really large heavy battery though.

Or maybe I would take advantage of Oxygen's very convenient electronegativity....

edit on 15-1-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Intresting !

larger devices like this could be used to produce clean air and even possibility more rain... just a though

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Great points. These are a few things, which I had thought of as well. Firstly, (I personally think), that it must work on some form of electrolysis or something....in order to extract the O2 from the water.

With that being said, (if it does work on an electrolysis principle), then there could potentially be a multitude of factors which could affect the operation of the device.

What do you think?......

Does this work through electrolysis?
OR
Do you think that this work, through the same manner as how a fish's gills extract O2 from the water???

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

InCeNdIaDrAcOnIs
Firstly, (I personally think), that it must work on some form of electrolysis or something....in order to extract the O2 from the water.

Or you could have just read the first post, then would realise it had nothing at all to do with electrolysis....

What do you think?......

I think you should have read the first post!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

One word Revolutionary!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

This is like what Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi used in Star Wars - The Phantom Menace when they entered the underworld to reach the Gungan?
edit on 15-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I used to dream when I was a child that if I turned a fish around and stuck it in my mouth, head first, I could breathe through its gills in a similar fashion to how this works.

Was a very appealing concept at the time.

It didn't seem weird at all... haha.

I will be getting one of these if they ever make it to market. I would actually be living one of my childhood dreams - awesome!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join