It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Invention: Triton Oxygen Respirator Extracts Air Underwater!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

LeatherNLace

jtma508
reply to post by MysterX

As far as I can tell this is a conceptual idea only.

A conceptual idea knocked off from the Star Wars franchise:

starwars.wikia.com...

The A99 aquata breather was a small breathing apparatus that allowed oxygen-breathing lifeforms to survive underwater, in space, or among noxious gas for up to two hours. Jedi Knights commonly carried aquata breathers during field operations.

Or did Star Wars rip the idea off from James Bond?

Thunderball 1965 (and later on in die another day)

Here's a replica of the underwater breathing device i presume Mr. Bond..

Replica breathing device

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

(To clarify, this is in answer to James' hypothetical question about cracking water as you go)

Carrying water would be more practical than compressed O2..you can get water anywhere (even from your bladder if you really had to) and it doesn't need heavy duty tanks to keep it compressed like O2 does.

edit on 15-1-2014 by MysterX because: clarification

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Thanks for that Observer, i'd certainly go with a diving pro's knowledge over my own when it comes to this stuff, the deepest i've gone is the deep end at the local swimming pool..about 10 feet!

But isn't the 5 litre lung capacity the maximum capacity? Like when you yawn or deeply inhale after exercise?

Normally, we only breath a fraction of our max lung capaicty, not sure what they call the tech term, but it's something like tidal or trital capacity..? Not sure what it's called, but we usually only take shallow breaths.

This would throw off the Pro's calculations a bit, but even so, i'm sure he's right.

Like Ignorant Ape said earlier, this device is probably only going to taken up as a diving or swimming training aid, in swimming pools and so on..especially considering what everyone else has said about the filters getting blocked with crud and other stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

MysterX
you can get water anywhere (even from your bladder if you really had to)

How much dissolved oxygen do you think there is in urine?

People still do not understand how this is supposed to work!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Yeah agreed..i made the schoolboy error of assuming it could somehow (remarkably) 'crack' the water and extract O2 that way, in my excitement i imagined firefighters being able to breathe for hours on a few litres of H2O.

Completely wrong as it turns out.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Of all the gadgets the most interesting is the mini breathing device. Used on several occasions during the film, the device seems to be a highly innovative creation and was the cause of much debate as to whether such a gadget could actually work. However during an interview on the DVD release of the film, the unit’s designer Peter Lamont recalls when he was asked by the Royal Corps of Engineers if such a device could really exist and how long it could be used underwater he replied; “As long as you can hold your breath.”

whatculture.com...

If you see the link in your quote its the same description as the triton, James bond one is like a small tank

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

hellobruce

MysterX

Mate..it's well established i cocked up with my understanding of how this device is supposed to operate, if you read the post from James1982 that i was answering, he was asking a hypothetical question;

Although even if it was splitting oxygen from hydrogen, carrying water for oxygen purposes seems a bit odd when you can simply carry liquid oxygen which would contain more oxygen than the same amount of water.

That is what i was answering, not continuing along the 'cracking' H2O tack...for that to work, cracking the water i mean, the battery would have to be very special indeed..along the lines of free, almost limitless energy kind of special!

edit on 15-1-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I'd worry about that device, what happen if your diving in water with alot of dirt in suspension? Or for whatever reason you happen to go through a cloud of sand in suspension in the water and those gils get clogged... Or if the thing starts to clog slowly by the time you realize whats going on you'll already start to be dizzy and running out of air.

You can last alot longer on a puff of air full of oxygen than one mostly deprived of any, could one make it to the surface in time? The size it has though I would bring two backups attached to my belt with plastic bags on them attached with elastics...

Better safe than sorry...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

Yeah i agree..there'd be a lot of problems to overcome with something like this.

Who knows, maybe it or something like it might be useful for an emergency escape breathing device for submarines or capsized ships etc?

Although the pressures and technical ins and outs that i've no idea about would probably rule it out.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   

abeverage
Jedi already had those...

Now where is my effing flying car and lightsaber please???

Lol I can wait on the flying car, glowstick first! LOL

OP nice find that is pretty cool.

Grim

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Grimmley

abeverage
Jedi already had those...

Now where is my effing flying car and lightsaber please???

Lol I can wait on the flying car, glowstick first! LOL

OP nice find that is pretty cool.

Grim

hahahaha.... post of the year... sorry for the one liner I just had to say so...

2nd line...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this is just a design idea (as of which most things on Yanko Design are) and would be impossible for it to actually work in the real world. You'd be able to snorkel, but not SCUBA. Your lungs would never be able to inflate due to the pressure of the surrounding water. The reason SCUBA works is because the tank has compressed air in it which is able to inflate your lungs enough to counteract the surrounding pressure. But you don't have to take my word for it, just try breathing through a hose/snorkel under more than just a few feet of water and you'll understand.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Alphamacaroon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder
If this works well enough to allow a person to breath underwater without an oxygen tank my mind will be blown. If it does work as stated I'm sure there will still be some risks associated with using it. For example if you hit a pocket of low oxygen water or swim deep enough it may stop working. Still absolutely brilliant.

...Planktons, algae, other dissolved gases, sediments, ...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

geo1066

ChaoticOrder
If this works well enough to allow a person to breath underwater without an oxygen tank my mind will be blown. If it does work as stated I'm sure there will still be some risks associated with using it. For example if you hit a pocket of low oxygen water or swim deep enough it may stop working. Still absolutely brilliant.

...Planktons, algae, other dissolved gases, sediments, ...

They are all much bigger than o2 molecules so they wouldn't clog the filtering device. Even if they did a simple blowback valve could clear them.

As I said before the device would only be limited to the compressor and battery charge. This could work if those two things were worked out.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

hellobruce

MysterX

And this is simple stuff ! Imagine the head shaking I go through when something slightly more complicated surfaces like "free energy devices" , "climate change", "Cameras on Mars rovers", "JPEG compression"........the list goes on and on.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

MysterX

Or did Star Wars rip the idea off from James Bond?

Thunderball 1965 (and later on in die another day)

Here's a replica of the underwater breathing device i presume Mr. Bond..

The writer was a British naval intelligence officer so it's all true......

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

hellobruce

MysterX

Dissolved Oxgen?

H20 - A water molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms that are connected by covalent bonds.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

, fish must be really good splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by Realtruth

, fish must be really good splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen

It's called sarcasm.

That's why I put the smiley face in front of it.

This thread is getting too funny.

Not many people know that water can take on extra oxygen by aeration. I thought the urine comment was funny and the response.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

actually suspended solids could block a gill device

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join