It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare ice Phenomenon, Hair ice

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This is absolutely stunning phenomenon. It has been mystery since 1800s. No one exactly know how it works, but there are interpretations that when temperature is correct, the water draws from the mycelium of dead trees and form hair-like ice formations. They grow from the base (like normal hair), not from end of hair. As the water molecules freeze on surface, it draws more and more water from the mycelium onto surface, growing this "hair". This only happens with leaf trees.

The phenomenon is very rare and has seen only in Europe, Eastern Canada and Western United States. Its unknown why it doesn't happen elsewhere.

Kenneth Libbrecht has done report from this: The physics of snow crystals
www.its.caltech.edu...

Google translated original finnish article With more pictures
edit on 14-1-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

That is really cool. I wish there was a mountain of snow ice to board on...looks like it would be very kush.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Maybe the dna of the tree is structuring the formation of the ice. I think that the leaf like structures on window frost could actually correlate to the pollen DNA in the air. Another words the shape of frost created by a birch pollen will resemble a birch leaf. Pine pollen could look like pine branches or leaves. Fern pollen, ferns growing on the window.

In this case, maybe something from a silk worm or spider may actually be forming this strange frost. Another thing is where does a spider get the signalling to spin webs. Maybe from the wood itself.
edit on 14-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
That's wild!

S&F Thanks for sharing it as I have never seen it before.

It looks like it should be soft. I wonder how many years you would have to live on this planet to cease being amazed at the occurrences around you? I learn something new everyday, so I would assume that the wonder would never cease. That's a good thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

I'm glad it comes in white hair, to honor the elders. Thank you as well, I've never heard of or seen this. The intricate layering is phenomenal.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The hair is so fragile that even the wind would break it. But as hair is very dense, like fur, it doesn't break. The ice is very rich in carbon, when it thaws, it leaves carbon rich water solution.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about this thing before. Its amazing.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wow! What a fantastic thing that is!!

Like Kanga said; how many years would one have to live to see all there is to see??
I'm guessing thousands.

Thanks OP!!
s/f

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Maybe veering slightly off topic, just today there is an article about 15 different types of ice. Read about it here:

I'd never really thought much about ice, but it appears that water adapts when found in some extreme conditions.

I'm at work now, can't really research this, but I did find this picture (from 1937!) of 9 different types of ice: Link

I have to get back to work, but I when I can, I want to see if there is a description and reason for the type of ice in the OP.

I would love to 'shave' some ice off of that and put it in my iced tea!
Thanks for the pictures, OP!

snrRog

edit on 1/14/2014 by snrRog because: syntax

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm always amazed that at 55 I'm still learning about things. That is just fascinating! Thanks so much!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Morgellons.

top topics

join