It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Realities of a Police State - Queensland, Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I have been wanting to discuss this situation for a while, and Bilder's thread, Welcome to Police State Queensland Australia, has inclined me to do so now.

While Bilder's thread focused on a specific incident resulting from the imposed laws, this thread will talk about the laws of which have been, and will be passed. Laws of which violate the rights of Australian citizens living in the state of Queensland.

The most controversial of these laws, and the specific bill of which violates the rights of Queenslanders, is the Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Bill of 2013 (VLAD from here on out).

The government (with the media's help) sold the VLAD bill to the residents of Queensland as an anti-bikie bill - A set of laws which will only be used to target bikies, otherwise known as criminal motorcycle gangs. While people were initially happy of such laws being introduced, no-one expected the laws to be such broadly written that it could encompass the average individual.

So what's in these laws?

The VLAD bill has been used for the purposes of disestablishing and restricting association of what the government and Police force describes as criminal associations. According to the bill, an association can be any of the following:

association means any of the following—

(a) a corporation;
(b) an unincorporated association;
(c) a club or league;
(d) any other group of 3 or more persons by whatever name called, whether associated formally or informally and whether the group is legal or illegal.

A participant of such an association is someone who has:

(a) (whether by words or conduct, or in any other way)
asserts, declares or advertises his or her membership of, or association with, the association; or
(b) (whether by words or conduct, or in any other way)
seeks to be a member of, or to be associated with, the association; or
(c) has attended more than 1 meeting or gathering of persons who participate in the affairs of the association in any way; or
(d) has taken part on any 1 or more occasions in the affairs of the association in any other way.

So while being a participant is all well and good; what if you are a member of a group which had recently been declared an illegal entity? What if you had an altercation which landed you in court, while being a member of, or associated with an association?

(1) For this Act, a person is a vicious lawless associate if the person—
(a) commits a declared offence; and
(b) at the time the offence is committed, or during the course of the commission of the offence, is a participant in the affairs of an association (relevant association); and
(c) did or omitted to do the act that constitutes the declared offence for the purposes of, or in the course of participating in the affairs of, the relevant association.

(2) However, a person is not a vicious lawless associate if the person proves that the relevant association is an association whose members do not have as their purpose, or 1 of their purposes, engaging in, or conspiring to engage in, declared offences.

Read that last bit carefully. If a resident of Queensland (who happens to be affiliated with a relevant association) gets into trouble, then the onus is on them to prove that they are innocent, and that the association of which they are affiliated, is not one whose purpose is to break the law. Essentially, an individual involved with an association is treated as guilty before being proved as innocent.

What happens if an associate fails to prove their innocence? They will get 15 year prison term without parole. If they are an office-bearer? 25 years without parole. Even if one's initial charge is dropped, they must serve the mandatory time relevant to the VLAD laws.

(1) A court sentencing a vicious lawless associate for a declared offence must impose all of the following sentences on the
vicious lawless associate—
(a) a sentence for the offence under the law apart from this Act and without regard to any further punishment that may or will be imposed under this Act;
(b) a further sentence of 15 years imprisonment served wholly in a corrective services facility;
(c) if the vicious lawless associate was, at the time of the commission of the offence, or during the course of the commission of the offence, an office bearer of the relevant association—a further sentence of 10 years imprisonment served wholly in a corrective services facility which must be served cumulatively with the further sentence mentioned in paragraph (b).

(2) A further sentence—
(a) must not be mitigated or reduced under any other Act or law; and
(b) must be ordered to be served cumulatively with the base sentence imposed.

(3) However, if the base sentence does not—
(a) impose a term of imprisonment on the vicious lawless associate; or
(b) require the associate to immediately serve a term of imprisonment in a corrective services facility;

the associate is to immediately begin to serve the further sentence mentioned in subsection (1)(b) and the base sentence is to have effect, so far as practicable, at the end of the further sentence or sentences.

(4) Also, if the base sentence imposed on the vicious lawless associate is life imprisonment, the further sentence mentioned in subsection (1)(b) is to have effect from the parole eligibility date applying to the associate as a prisoner under the Corrective Services Act 2006, section 181.

(5) If a sentencing court is sentencing a vicious lawless associate for more than 1 declared offence, the sentencing court may
impose further sentences for only 1 of the offences.

(6) However, when deciding which declared offence to use for imposing further sentences, the court must choose the offence
that will result in the vicious lawless associate serving the longest period of imprisonment available under this Act for the offences.

Overall, the VLAD laws are able to be used against any citizen of Queensland who belongs to an association of 3 or more individuals who cannot prove that the group of which they belong does not exist for the purposes of criminal activity.

Effectively, all members of criminal gangs are no longer allowed to associate with one another. The laws have even been used against tradespeople, stating that if they do not give up their affiliations with such associations, even their involvement with friends or family, than they could lose their licenses to work.

This is only the beginning, and can be used against many more individuals.

---

Other legislation of which the Queensland Government is wanting to pass include laws against out-of-control events and laws protecting Police Officers from being sued.

The legislation combating out-of-control events states that an event can be shut down if 3 or more people (out of a group of 12 or higher) engages in anti-social activity. The organisers of such events, if found guilty, can be sentenced to 1 year imprisonment and a $12,100 fine.

statements.qld.gov.au...

To be continued...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Another legislation of which the Queensland Government would like to implement, is one preventing citizens from suing individual Police Officers.

As Premier Campbell Newman stated:

"In the often highly complex situations they respond to, and despite performing their roles professionally and in good faith, the nature of their business means there are occasional incidents that cause injury to people or damage to property."

The Brisbane times reports that:

The legislation amendments are designed to protect state employees who are working in an official capacity from civil liability.

Instead, that liability will be transferred to the state. But the legislation does include a clause which allows the government to recoup costs from state employees who "have engaged in conduct other than in good faith, and with gross negligence".

Overall, Queensland is quickly becoming a Police state. This is not a good indication for the rest of Australia...

Thanks for reading!

- Daas.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

It's strange what fear does to people, however I understand this fear as there are regular bashings and other disturbances committed by people associated with these gangs where I live.
I do not agree with the measures taken as these are slowly turning us into a police state where the innocent are punished and the guilty walk free on a regular basis.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Its all part of the GLOBAL control system thats being established.

We see more and more that when THEY create a law to stop BAD people, that same law can be used against the rest of us!

Dont like what your government is doing?
Well, its a democracy so lets protest.
BAM!!! you've just fallen foul of these laws, you'll be locked up!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Exactly!
This "law" can be used to stop any and all dissent with government policies!
This is NOT an anti biker law!(since when does the law allow discriminatory persecutions?)
ANYBODY at a demonstration (specially the organisers) could be serving a 15yr sentence for participating!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Ergo. If a number, say exceeding 3, of law officers or politicians were proven to be involved in any criminal activity(like fiddling expenses or perjury on the stand) then by extension their whole association could be classed as a criminal association. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. I think if you do a little digging this law has been tried in other Aussie states but because of its coverall nature becomes un enforceable. Think of any group of more than 3 people then this law would apply. Think of church congregations, mothers unions, councils, government, police!!! Get the message. The list is endless. If you could prove a number of members of any organised group were doing illegal activity(which is quite easy when you consider all the obscure laws there are like speeding or littering) then the whole group can be recognised as an anti social group. Of cause the powers will cherry pick which group to persecute. Use their own laws against them to prove it un enforceable.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

It's pretty simple really.

This is the beginning of stopping unions and workers gathering for strikes and so forth, as by association it can be interpreted as illegal as all those people belong to an organisation, thus making the laws actually about stopping the people from gathering than about halting bikers.

Did you see the three guys that were arrested just before Christmas having a beer at a local? They were all family, were not dressed in MC cuts and were having a drink after work when the Police arrested them using this new law. They now face six months in jail and for what? Having a drink? Being part of an MC?

Sunshine Coast bikers arrested over 'having a beer.'

It's more than just Police state, it's a test to see if once again the Australian people will just bend over and take it without standing up. Once it is found it will work, any group acting within what the government calls 'dissent' (which can be anything really) can be arrested. Unions, protestors, equal rights group, racial groups, you name it. There's no stopping it really.

I just hope we can get the next few years out of the way and dump Newman and his cronies on their asses out on the street where they belong for even thinking up this pointless drivel. Trouble is, it looks like it's here to stay.

In the meantime most people I know, myself included have been too afraid to even take their bikes out on the road in a group. It's just not worth the hassle.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

74Templar

It's pretty simple really.

This is the beginning of stopping unions and workers gathering for strikes and so forth, as by association it can be interpreted as illegal as all those people belong to an organisation, thus making the laws actually about stopping the people from gathering than about halting bikers.

Did you see the three guys that were arrested just before Christmas having a beer at a local? They were all family, were not dressed in MC cuts and were having a drink after work when the Police arrested them using this new law. They now face six months in jail and for what? Having a drink? Being part of an MC?

Sunshine Coast bikers arrested over 'having a beer.'

It's more than just Police state, it's a test to see if once again the Australian people will just bend over and take it without standing up. Once it is found it will work, any group acting within what the government calls 'dissent' (which can be anything really) can be arrested. Unions, protestors, equal rights group, racial groups, you name it. There's no stopping it really.

I just hope we can get the next few years out of the way and dump Newman and his cronies on their asses out on the street where they belong for even thinking up this pointless drivel. Trouble is, it looks like it's here to stay.

In the meantime most people I know, myself included have been too afraid to even take their bikes out on the road in a group. It's just not worth the hassle.

the yandina 5. all but four have been released on bail this week.
these laws, like many similar globally are about working out who we are connected to that migth be a threat

unions are quite serioulsy a major target

cant have anyone stand against our corporate overlords.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I love the fact my car does not have to go over the pits every year like back in Sydney, its just a pain.

Maybe I should not have said anything, cause you know what will happen

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Overall, Queensland is quickly becoming a Police state. This is not a good indication for the rest of Australia...

it's not becoming one..

IT IS ONE !!! ( just from reading the OP)

wow.. so even church going folk are at risk .. as well as....oh... more than 3 family members eatting on their porch in the summertime.. !!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

stirling
Exactly!
This "law" can be used to stop any and all dissent with government policies!
This is NOT an anti biker law!(since when does the law allow discriminatory persecutions?)
ANYBODY at a demonstration (specially the organisers) could be serving a 15yr sentence for participating!

100 % correct, this is aimed at The G20 Summit and union actions here in Brisbane in November. Because the .... is about to hit the fan. Apply to the above statement/quotation. There will be extreme violence here between now and November. The bikers behind this legistlation are not victims, they are complicit. They are on the payroll. Side note, I have been observing military police in joint patrols with the civilian forces, here on the Gold Coast.
edit on 15-1-2014 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Very well put together thread m8,it certainly illustrates the direction we are heading in ,possibly the worst item you have mentioned is protecting police from being sued,this in my opinion is going to open a huge can of worms,govts really don't let a good crisis go to waste do they.
Unfortunately these sort of posts don't get a lot of traction around here if it doesn't happen in America no=one seems that interested.

S & F

edit on 20-1-2014 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Bilder
Very well put together thread m8,it certainly illustrates the direction we are heading in ,possibly the worst item you have mentioned is protecting police from being sued,this in my opinion is going to open a huge can of worms,govts really don't let a good crisis go to waste do they.
Unfortunately these sort of posts don't get a lot of traction around here if it doesn't happen in America no=one seems that interested.

S & F

edit on 20-1-2014 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the kind words mate! I enjoyed your thread also, as it both spurred me to finally create this thread, as well as provide valuable knowledge to the people.

I agree. I feel that restricting the rights to sue individual officers will likely lead to some unwanted scenarios for the people of Queensland. I just hope that the trend of imposing these laws do not hit the rest of Australia...then we all would have a huge problem to deal with.

Agreed. If this stuff was happening in the USA, people here would be flipping out.

Thanks again for your kind comment!

- Daas.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
i live about an hours drive from the queensland border in nsw and it amazing how different the rules are in the two places but i fear the OP is correct it will not be long till the laws are implemented australia wide...."australia dont become america"

new topics

top topics

join