It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Benefits Street" - Justifying cuts in welfare?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
so would you employ a cleptomaniac?an imbecile?an alcho? A serial masturbater?
Yes lots of people are unemployable,and most are a product of an uncareing society. No one wants to live on 60pound a week,would you? Iwhat would you suggest we do with the unemployable?Euthanise them perhaps?
Im sick of rich people thinking they are superior when the truth is they would not last 2 weeks on 60 pound a week.

Sixty quid a week, plus free housing and so on. Yes, even a kleptomaniac is employable and it's got nothing to do with rich people feeling superior.

Regards

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

paraphi

symptomoftheuniverse
so would you employ a cleptomaniac?an imbecile?an alcho? A serial masturbater?
Yes lots of people are unemployable,and most are a product of an uncareing society. No one wants to live on 60pound a week,would you? Iwhat would you suggest we do with the unemployable?Euthanise them perhaps?
Im sick of rich people thinking they are superior when the truth is they would not last 2 weeks on 60 pound a week.

Sixty quid a week, plus free housing and so on. Yes, even a kleptomaniac is employable and it's got nothing to do with rich people feeling superior.

Regards
you dont get free housing,you have to pay a contribution out of your 60 quid,about 10percent! And now they have to find another 12 quid bedroom tax if they find themselves with an extra bedroom. Those unemplyable really have got the life of riley havnt they? I can see how envious you are

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
After re-reading this post , it would appear the mind control system has done it's job well . We work to live not live to work . We were not created to make others richer or make them our masters . But we constantly give away our birthright to other humans who seek to enslave us .

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

adarma
After re-reading this post , it would appear the mind control system has done it's job well . We work to live not live to work . We were not created to make others richer or make them our masters . But we constantly give away our birthright to other humans who seek to enslave us .

LOL! YOUR QUOTE >>>

"We work to live not live to work!"

There are many, many living without working!

If you work you are PAID by an employer and not a master and if your

employer, as a by product of your working makes money, why shouldn't he?? after

all he initially invested his own money, he takes the risks,he also

employs people, and if the business goes under he has the most to loose

I know a few people in business *Green grocer, *Butcher, *Small store owner, and

yes the have a good standard of living .... but they work dammed hard for it.

LOL!! YOUR QUOTE >>>

"But we constantly give away our birthright to other humans who seek to enslave us"

DICTIONARY DEFINATION Birthright - A right, privilege, position, or possession

to which a person is entitled by birth.

Now which of these are you and others being deprived of ? LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

eletheia

adarma

LOL! YOUR QUOTE >>>

"We work to live not live to work!"

There are many, many living without working!

If you work you are PAID by an employer and not a master and if your

employer, as a by product of your working makes money, why shouldn't he?? after

all he initially invested his own money, he takes the risks,he also

employs people, and if the business goes under he has the most to loose

I know a few people in business *Green grocer, *Butcher, *Small store owner, and

yes the have a good standard of living .... but they work dammed hard for it.

LOL!! YOUR QUOTE >>>

"But we constantly give away our birthright to other humans who seek to enslave us"

DICTIONARY DEFINATION Birthright - A right, privilege, position, or possession

to which a person is entitled by birth.

Now which of these are you and others being deprived of ? LOL
What you laughing at? I suppose the women who got crushed in Bangladesh should be thankful to their employers? Lets not forget that without workers the employers would be nothing. Most emplyers are greedy undeserving vampires,who hate their empoyees.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Way OFF TOPIC this thread is titled - Benefits Street (IN THE UK) Justifying cuts in
Welfare

What has this thread to do with women employed in BANGLADESH

The UK government is not responsible for what goes on in other countries!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

My post highlighted how idiotic your off topic post was

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

If anything, it was more "on topic" than the previous 3 pages - he has a very good point. It's all very well being some rose-tinted pseudo-communist and railing against "vampire employers", but that is hardly an accurate portrayal, is it? Most employers do care about their workforce and recognise that without them, there would be no business. In fact, this was shown in good effect during the downturn, when many employers kept on staff @ reduced hours instead of just wholesale laying them off like they did during the last economic quagmire.

I'd love to hear of any viable alternatives to "working for vampires". I doubt there will be any, because most who hold these idealistic views rarely have any realistic suggestions.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
"Benefits Street", the manufactured con; pure media spin propaganda to turn all them hard working strivers against the unemployed. Nice to see so much ignorance being displayed here at ATS, makes me proud to be British!

Did you know that for the first time there are now more working people living in absolute poverty than non working people? But I suppose making that point is 'leftie' and therefore dismissable to those that have swallowed hate's bitter pill?

according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, for the first time, the number of people in working families who are living in poverty, at 6.7 million, is greater than the number of people in workless and retired families who are living in poverty, at 6.3 million.

www.michaelmeacher.info...

Completely corroborated by the horse's mouth of welfare reform:

Duncan Smith argues that blame for those trapped on benefits should not be attached to benefit claimants but on a welfare system that traps them on the dole because work does not pay.

www.theguardian.com...

One (foreseeable) consequence of lowering living standards is the increase in homelessness:

The 5% rise in the overall homelessness figures last year included nearly 9,000 families with children, which is the equivalent of one family losing their home every 15 minutes.

www.michaelmeacher.info...

In December 2011, homeless charity Crisis published life expectancy figures suggesting that homeless people, including those in temporary or hostel type accommodation was 30 years lower than for non homeless people. The mean age for death of all homeless people was found to be 47 with homeless women living to only 43.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Lose your job (or not!), lose your home, lose one third of your life.

What of the woman in hospital in a coma, sanctioned by the DWP for not trying hard enough to find a job? Damn shirker!

www.mirror.co.uk...

Once power was established the first action of the unelected ConDems was to introduce laws protecting them from any form of vote of no confidence (dissolution of their parliament). The Tories needed this to give them time to wrought their long term strategic goals of sticking it to the working classes.

If you choose to believe that the shambles that is welfare reform is because of ministerial incompetence, think again. These people are educated adults; they know exactly what they are doing and it is all going spiffingly to plan.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

You know, any point you were trying to make goes out the window when you start throwing around silly statements like "unelected ConDems" - it just betrays a blatant political bias. FYI, the Conservatives actually got a higher % of the popular vote than Labour did in 2005 and only a couple of % less than Labour did in in 2001. Between the two parties, they actually got 59% of the vote, so do explain to me how exactly they are "unelected".

You are quite right though about the show and as I said earlier in the thread, most intelligent people would have been aware of this before watching it, it fits C4's MO like a glove. Pointing out media manipulation is like informing people that they breathe oxygen - bloody obvious. The trick is to not let it manipulate you.

You also raise a point about homelessness but don't really put anything into context. "Homelessness" is a wide term and doesn't mean people living on the streets and can include people in temporary accommodation while they await housing. In fact, every one of the 9,000 families will be in exactly this position - not one will be on the streets.

Which brings me onto my next point - poverty. Poverty is a strong, evocative word yet is thrown around quite a bit. When most people think of poverty, they imagine no food, flies everywhere and pot-bellied children in Africa. Poverty in the UK is nothing like this.

For much of the early part of this century, I myself was classed as "living in Poverty", simply down to not earning enough (I was on £13k on my apprenticeship yet living in rented accommodation not with Mum & Dad). Yes, life was tough and sometimes Pot noodles were on the menu, but I can't really say I ever faced starvation - I had Cable TV, a mobile phone, a computer and broadband yet, according to the Government set standard for "poverty", I was a mere peasant.

My point is, ultimately, that it's all very well throwing around these strong, powerful words, yet you have to put them into context to actually mean anything.

In fact, looking at the current definition - which for my situation would mean £268 a week for 2 Adults + 2 Kids (I actually have 3) after rent, council tax, income tax, water and NI have been taken off - I am actually technically in "Poverty" now. Apparently, I need £1072 per month left over after all those are taken out my salary of £41k/annum - I actually have just slightly less than this.

Just something to think about....

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What is 'poverty'? it is a subjective issue ...

To someone with a hot meal it will mean 'bread and water'

To someone with bread and water it will mean 'hunger/nothing'

To someone with shelter it could mean the lack of a bed,

To another the lack of shelter

To someone with a 19" TV and to another with no TV at all

Its not anything new its always been like that there will always be someone

with more and there will always be someone with less ...

"I cried that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet"

@ sturmason

I too am in poverty according to government guidelines!!

the steps I have personally taken is to go to bed earlier and get up a little

later to conserve on my energy bills ... I look on that as positive action in helping

myself rather than negativity!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Poverty is sitting in the dark because you have no eletric
Poverty is having holes in your shoes
Poverty is going to a #ty school
Poverty is paying more for essentials
Poverty is substance abuse to escape reality
Poverty is never having a holiday
Poverty is not affording to take the bus
Poverty is being hungry
Poverty demeaning
Poverty drags you down
Poverty is a Trap laid by the evil capitalist bastards who need greed more than others because deep down inside they do not know love so they need greed to feel superior,to feel better than others,to cover up the fact they are empty

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

In your eyes, yes, all those could be described as being in poverty - however that is not the offical definition which is actually quite broad.

Like I said, according to the Government definition of it, I am in "poverty" because I have less than £268 a week disposable income. Yet I have a roof over my head, I drive an AUDI, I have a 47" 3D LED TV and we have plenty of food.... Go figure..

Anyway, the point I am making is that throwing around figures of so many people being "in poverty" when the definition of it is actually quite broad doesn't really mean much. Most of the people classified as being "in poverty" in the UK will not be in any way shape or form be like you have described in your post.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Is that your pathetic best?

# Poverty is never having a holiday?

When I was young no one ever went on holiday. Contrary to popular belief a holiday

is not a necessity, its eight years since I was last on holiday.

# Poverty is paying more for essentials?

I don't see how you arrive at that conclusion ... like myself anyone can shop

at bargin stores, £ shops, there are the cheaper supermarkets, charity shops!

# Poverty is going to a #ty school?

I wouldn't know how to define a #ty school ... they all have to hold to certain

standards, and parents need to take responsibility for unruly children instead

of blaming all in sundry for what they cannot control

# Poverty is sitting in the dark because you have no electric?

# Poverty is substance abuse?

Poverty is certainly NOT substance abuse ... Substance abuse is self inflicted,

and if your in poverty where do you manage to get the money? That

money you have paid for that substance could have gone into your electric meter

and solved your poverty is sitting in the dark problem

# Poverty is having holes in your shoes?

NO poverty is having NO SHOES

I cried because I had no shoes ... until I met a man with no feet...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You're right, I absolutely hate this government. But then I guess my belief that all forms of government are fascist probably feeds into that. The hatred is not passionate but the passion I feel for the weak, the dispossessed, the abused is easily turned against those that gleefully seek to further undermine them, punish them even, for things that are not their fault.

Personal responsibility? I wish this government and it's ministers would take personal responsibility for the impact of their heinous policies that are, at this time, only hurting the most vulnerable in society.

I say at this time because I do not for one minute believe that 'austerity' will stop with benefits being stripped from people in coma's or those that are unemployable (ask any risk taking entrepreneur, 'would you employ someone with hidden disabilities such as bi-polarism or PTSD?' Would you put them in a position of trust, let them have access to your customers? Are your premises adapted for workers in wheelchairs? Do you have hearing loops in your shop/office/factory?) People are unemployable because no one wants them!

No, austerity will be rolled out to the so called middle classes just as government spin the 'strivers versus shirkers' debate to foment opposition in the minds of those that may oppose them, so they will spin a tale of selfishness when they hit the pound in the pockets of the professional classes. Saving a few quid a week to each JSA claimnant is small fry compared to the amount of excess income the middle classes have to be plundered.

My point about homelessness was tied in with life expectancy. How did you miss that? Austerity will lead to poverty, poverty will lead to destitution and destitution will lead to death. These 'austerity' measures are killing people. The DWP have stopped publishing figures for the amount of claims closed due to death. I wonder how much of that is because they do not want the general population to know how their policies are killing people. In the year 2011-2012, 11,000 sick and disabled people died after having their work suitability reassessed and their livelihoods severely reduced or taken altogether. 11,000 tragedies that according to DWP, cannot even be officially counted as a stat!

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't have time to reply fully, but just a couple of points, if I may?

teapot
I say at this time because I do not for one minute believe that 'austerity' will stop with benefits being stripped from people in coma's or those that are unemployable (ask any risk taking entrepreneur, 'would you employ someone with hidden disabilities such as bi-polarism or PTSD?' Would you put them in a position of trust, let them have access to your customers? Are your premises adapted for workers in wheelchairs? Do you have hearing loops in your shop/office/factory?) People are unemployable because no one wants them!

Every company I have worked at in the past 16 years (since leaving school) has been equipped to deal with disabled people - in fact, the building I am sat in now has disabled toilets upstairs and downstairs, plus a lift, with ramps etc.

One of our 3rd line techs is deaf and as far as I can ascertain, the company bends over backwards when people are ill. One guy has had a brain tumour, he is on the mend now, but he had a full year off on full pay and is now being eased back into work doing a few hours a day for 60% of his salary. Bearing in mind he did 12hr days prior to being ill, he is actually getting more for his time.

teapot
No, austerity will be rolled out to the so called middle classes just as government spin the 'strivers versus shirkers' debate to foment opposition in the minds of those that may oppose them, so they will spin a tale of selfishness when they hit the pound in the pockets of the professional classes.

FYI - Austerity hit us years ago, my friend! No one batted an eyelid though... I lost my Tax credits in 2011 and we've had our Child benefit cut already, so me and the missus are "out of pocket" by the better part of £200 a month - £50 a week - so do forgive me if I am not that fussed about someone losing a few quid a week because they have an extra bedroom.

On that note, no-one came out at all in 2007 when Gordon Brown brought in the "bedroom tax" for those in private housing but in receipt of Housing benefit - all the coalition did was extend this to those in Social Housing too. But no one mentions what Brown did, just the "evil Tories".... Where were you to defend the "middle classes" then?

The point I am making is we have been bearing the brunt for years already, us "middle classes", but we don't get 5 threads a week on how we're being downtrodden because we just soak it up and get on with it.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I work i get well above minimum wage £10 an hour. my wage covers my rent and bills and nothing more.
I dont have any kind of mobile phone, i dont have a tablet or laptop, i have a desk top computer a few years old now.
i dont have a car, all of our clothes are second hand, i shop in the cheapest supermarkets i can.
The fact is the Government subsidises low wages with Tax credits, and then trys to demonise those that claim it.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is not about benefit cuts and saving the public purse, it's about dismantling and finishing the welfare system for good.
And they will do it with the help of the Sheeple.

Utter Scum.
www.cpag.org.uk...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

There are two sorts of person :-

Those like yourself, who when they get cut backs, the interest rates increase

or the reduction of benefits/allowances or hit some sort of financial bump,

will tighten their belt/budget, will take on extra shifts, or supplement their

income with a part time job .... will bite the bullet and get on with it

Then there are the others, 'the entitlements' who hit with the same situation,

blame everyone and anyone, cannot see the bigger picture expect to be carried

and have everything done for them ... blame the government for all their woes ...

Another thing, there was a time when people worked according to their abilities.

and were paid as such, they invariably started at the bottom and worked their

way up ...nowadays every one wants to start at the top, and get paid the same

as those with greater experience

I am appalled that there are still adults who cannot absorb the principal

that if you have only have a pint, you cannot take out a gallon!!

And if you have £1billion in the pot you cannot take out £1billion and five

Liam Burn knew it ... remember the message he left the incoming government

"Sorry guys the cupboard is bare"

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Is that your pathetic best?

# Poverty is never having a holiday?

When I was young no one ever went on holiday.

My heart bleeds for you,it realy does ,is this why you hate the poor? I see typical ,poacher turned gamekeeper. It all makes sense now.

I suggest you watch Scrooge over and over and over again,for what good it will do.

P.s you dont need money to abuse substances ,shows how detached you are.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join