It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists dredge up vestige of chilling monster

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have posted before on Project BrightEye, which is a satelite based variable wavelength blue-green laser, designed specifically to penetrate deep ocean water to detect and communicate with underwater submarines, as well as for surviellance uses.

Although I seriously doubt that the DoD would ever let this kind of research be done (they dont even admit to the existance of BrightEye), but that is the perfect tool to search the depths of the uncharted oceans.

BrightEye is already used for essentially taking flash photos of high value targets through inclement weather conditions. I would believe it to be possible to retask it to take flash photos of the deep sea and find all kinds of large life forms that we had no previous idea existed.

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Why is this in Crypto? Megalodons have been known in science for a long time. The only thing that would make them a cryptid is if they were still alive. Which there is some evidence on...

XAOS

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Do any of you remember the link a few months ago to an article in some scientific journal? Some deep-sea testing devices recorded vibrations of what could only be an enormous creature - larger than a whale. This kind of indication only goes to show that we sure have a lot to learn about what goes on down there.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xaos
Why is this in Crypto? Megalodons have been known in science for a long time. The only thing that would make them a cryptid is if they were still alive. Which there is some evidence on...

XAOS

Well, that was what I thought this article might be implying. If I put it in the wrong place, I guess I goofed up.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I guess its all right, there is quite a bit of evidence for the existance of Megalodons in modern waters, or at least an evolved version of them. There are several cases of giant sharks being caught from deep in the ocean, like the megamouth. And with the discovery of the Colossal squid the existance of huge sea creatures in the depths has become more likely.

XAOS

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
K-K, I posted that site because it very accurately represents the overwhelming scientific consensus. As has been pointed out: this is a "crypto" issue precisely because posters wish to examine the possibility that the scientific consensus is wrong.
It doesn't get one very far if we begin from the point of view that the scientists are wrong. Surely, in "crypto" we have to begin by acknowledging all reaosnable evidence and then putting forward our reasons for being dissatisfied with it - hence, for example, the relevance of the coelocanth or of my point about the sheer size of the oceans and our relative ignorance of them.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
"the guy doesn't bother explaining his reasons very well, for the most part he simply dismisses the idea. he actually uses the fact that it doesn't exist anymore against one of the common arguments for it being alive.
"
And this I'm afraid is an example of (one hopes: temporary) head-not-rightness.
The site is very informative: the two sides are plainly laid out with clear reasons for the scientific consensus; there is no "personal" perspective: his, or anyone else's.
I urge curious colleagues to visit and record their rage at this gross calumny directed at the eternally-helpful Estragon.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
"And this I'm afraid is an example of (one hopes: temporary) head-not-rightness.

Is that anything like what we in KY, call Cranial-rectumitis?

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
"my thinking has been faulty, it's Great Whites that dont like our taste"

Wrong again...(sorry), the shark at fault was a rogue Great White.... If I remember correctly, they found complete limbs and even a torso's remains inside....but it was a Great White, of that I'm sure. Great Whites were largely unknown to the public at the time as well, which made it even more horrific in the papers (with phrases such as Sea Devil, etc. used).

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but I once heard that similar teeth were found in the Amazon, indicating that massive fresh water sharks once existed in S. America.
Has anyone else heard of this?

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
that is one killing machine. I bet a couple o them stil live today

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
An article listed on most major news websites about a sound picked up by the US Sonar Nets used to detect passing submarines? I remember it being some type of clicking noise that didn't match any known marine animal noise. At first some people attributed it to the Giant Squid but nobody ever found anything definite on it. Maybe it was related to Megaladon? If anybody can find a link to that article please send it to me or post it here.

ID

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It would seem unlikely that a shark that size could go so unnoticed for so long. Not merely for the size of the creature but for the massive amounts of food that they must consume. If they do still exist I think it would be in very small numbers otherwise we would have seen more evidence of them. Then again the same SHOULD be true for the giant squid and we know they exist. It just goes to show you how little we actually know about our own oceans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join