It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation… what you need to know and why

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

game over man
reply to post by RickinVa

Thanks! Fishing has been banned in Fukushima waters other than government testing. I'm glad to hear you think they should up grade their gear based on possible radiation exposure.

What do you think of the picture in this link:

ajw.asahi.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

^My thread I started today, specifically about Russia Today's article.

That's the biggest problem with Fukushima........the radiation factor is being downplayed by Tepco and the Japanese government. Fukushima is a huge problem and it released massive amounts of radiation into the local environment during the initial meltdowns in 2011.

Tepco has been desperately trying to decontaminate the area, but that is a huge task that is virtually impossible to achieve to Japanese standards.... I believe their goal is to return the area to state of no more than 1 millisievert above background... I really don't think they can ever achieve this due to the amount that blew out.

To decontaminate the area, one step is all the topsoil has to be removed.....then you have to take that somewhere and dump it, but its still radioactive. When it rains, more radiation is washed onto the topsoil that was just decontaminated from nearby areas that have not been decontaminated, the amount of radiation would depend on the amount of rain and the level of radioactivity being washed away. Tepco at this point is pretty much just playing a big ole game of whack-a-mole... no matter what they do, more problems just keep popping up.

Eventually, Tepco is not going to have any choice but to walk away from the site and just let it sit and keep on leaking radiation. Tepco is a corporation, and they have limited funds.... the cost of cleaning up and trying to contain Fukushima is an enormous expense, and it will eventually bankrupt the company. The Japanese government is going to have no choice but to take over the site from Tepco... they should have done this from day 1.

A lot of scientists will tell you that based on the amount of radioactivity being found in the fish in the surrounding areas, that the amount of radiation that Tepco claims was/is being released is a figure that is simply way too low to produce the results being observed.

edit on 16-1-2014 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I'll have to go back a review my research but I was not aware that Fukushima is still officially leaking. I will have to confirm that on my end.

I too have read the biggest threat are the elements that sunk to the bottom and are not flowing to the ocean. What are the long term problems of this? Environmentally speaking...Or can the solution be as simple as quarantine the area?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

game over man

I'll have to go back a review my research but I was not aware that Fukushima is still officially leaking. I will have to confirm that on my end.

I too have read the biggest threat are the elements that sunk to the bottom and are not flowing to the ocean. What are the long term problems of this? Environmentally speaking...Or can the solution be as simple as quarantine the area?

Good questions..... This whole event is extremely bad public relations for the Nuclear industry.... Fukushima has raised the awareness of the people that Nuclear power is inherently dangerous and the risks outweigh any positive benefits.

Just because something sinks to the bottom of the ocean, that doesn't make it any less radioactive or less dangerous. That's why they tell you to avoid the bottom feeding fish,,,, they are naturally going to ingest higher amounts of radiation than a fish that does not spend a lot of time on the bottom.

Bio accumulation is a huge concern when it comes to Fukushima, only time will tell how much of a concern regardless of what anyone would like to have you believe. Take mercury for example.....it's bad for you to ingest.... the more of it, the worse it is for you. That's why they advise you to limit your intake of certain types of fish when there are high levels of mercury. The Nuclear Industry, on the other hand, want you to believe that "low doses" of radiation are harmless and ok to consume when the scientific community is divided on that subject.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Why are you claiming rain is bringing more radiation? I've linked scientifically published papers that show this isn't true...did you miss those? Evaporated water is pure H2O with nothing else...

The radiation rain picks up is naturally occurring in the upper atmosphere and while it falls. If you have SCIENTIFICALLY PUBLISHED data that shows that isn't true I would love for you to provide it.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Seafood is tested in a lab for mercury amongst other elements for safe human consumption. A fish with a high level of mercury won't pass a QC test either because you can see the decomposition from high levels of mercury. Also it would taste like metal.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

raymundoko

Why are you claiming rain is bringing more radiation? I've linked scientifically published papers that show this isn't true...did you miss those? Evaporated water is pure H2O with nothing else...

The radiation rain picks up is naturally occurring in the upper atmosphere and while it falls. If you have SCIENTIFICALLY PUBLISHED data that shows that isn't true I would love for you to provide it.

Now we are back to word games.... I never said that the rain is radioactive..... lets stick with the facts please.

Fact: Water follows the path of least resistance.
Fact: Water will carry radioactivity with it when it moves.
Fact: A lot of radiation settles on the trees, roofs, grass, shrubs etc.
Fact: When it rains, water will wash radioactivity off of an object and carry it to other places.
Fact: There are many areas outside of the plant were higher than normal radiation reading have been found.
Fact: Fukushima expelled quite a bit of radioactive material across a wide area near the plant, this is why there is an exclusion zone.

Example:

You decontaminate an area of ground by removing the topsoil deep enough to get the readings down to a lower level. Any radiation that remains on the ground above the area, some of it will wash down onto your freshly decontaminated ground when it rains, making it radioactive. This is the problem that Tepco is having.... the rain is washing radioactivity from non-decontaminated areas back to decontaminated areas.

as Joe Friday would say.......... just the facts, mam, just the facts.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It's hard for readers to stick to the facts when the information is presented like we are in a nuclear holocaust! I'm telling everyone, the conspiracy is the media overplaying this situation to deflect attention away from a very serious threat of global warming.

How does radioactive water react when the water heats up? (I don't know, just asking)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

game over man

It's hard for readers to stick to the facts when the information is presented like we are in a nuclear holocaust! I'm telling everyone, the conspiracy is the media overplaying this situation to deflect attention away from a very serious threat of global warming.

How does radioactive water react when the water heats up? (I don't know, just asking)

Actually from an observant point of view the "media" is far far away from overplaying this situation.

It's actually deathly quiet on the MSM networks, but not to worry as Holywood is alive and kicking in the news.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

game over man

When water comes into contact with a melted core, radioactive steam is generated. This will continue until the core cools sufficiently to no longer generate enough heat to create steam. It takes a very long time for a melted core to cool to the point where this is achieved, and its also affected by many various factors.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

For the record I am not trying to play word games, this is your direct quote:

Every single time it rains, more radiation is deposited on the topsoil that was just decontaminated

I am not sure how else you expect someone to take that other than you think rain is bringing more radiation.

However, now that you have clarified what you meant I partially agree with you.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

raymundoko

For the record I am not trying to play word games, this is your direct quote:

Every single time it rains, more radiation is deposited on the topsoil that was just decontaminated

I am not sure how else you expect someone to take that other than you think rain is bringing more radiation.

However, now that you have clarified what you meant I partially agree with you.

Your right, I should have clarified my original statement better, it wasn't done to generate fear or excitement, I just sometimes type faster than my brain can keep up. I will go back and edit it so that anyone who reads it better understands what I am trying to say.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Buddy, I'm talking about the ocean temp rising...

2nd line

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Wrong, it's totally over the top. I've been doing ample research and to find actual helpful reporting you have to go through hundreds of articles with fear mongering headlines. I'm baffled by your reply.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

game over man

Buddy, I'm talking about the ocean temp rising...

2nd line

I have no idea so I am not even going to answer that. I am really trying my hardest not to say something that I can't back up.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Most people are afraid of quality of seafood from pollution. Yes this is true but what causes way more issues is rising ocean temperature and ocean levels. These change migration patterns and the increase temperature provides a warm welcome to natural disease for both wild and farmed raised fish.

If all of you care about the ocean, learn about Global Warming.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

game over man
reply to post by Iwinder

Wrong, it's totally over the top. I've been doing ample research and to find actual helpful reporting you have to go through hundreds of articles with fear mongering headlines. I'm baffled by your reply.

Here is what I said," It's actually deathly quiet on the MSM networks, but not to worry as Holywood is alive and kicking in the news. "

I will stand by it as the "MSM" have failed to report the actual crisis just like when the BP well blew out in the Gulf.

The very best of the information regarding both situations was to be found right here on ATS and still is for that matter.
I am sorry that my post baffled you and I mean that.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

game over man

Most people are afraid of quality of seafood from pollution. Yes this is true but what causes way more issues is rising ocean temperature and ocean levels. These change migration patterns and the increase temperature provides a warm welcome to natural disease for both wild and farmed raised fish.

If all of you care about the ocean, learn about Global Warming.

I understand your concerns about the radiation and global warming, but I will have to bow down to an expert to address that.

But that's actually a good point..... if an ecosystem is already being changed by global warming (not saying it is) then what additional changes could radiation have on an already stressed system? I have no idea and don't recall that ever being brought up in my research.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

The failure to do so is because it's in Japan.

Just Google myths of Fukushima or something along those lines and you will see dozens of typical headlines, far and wide on Fukushima, and any other environmental concerns wrongly assumed to be caused by Fukushima.

If you know the most reliable and solid science websites you can use their search bar to find their research and findings. You can read the debunking for yourself on your own time....

I've been hearing Fukushima non stop in the news and online almost everyday for at least a month, and haven't even seen a shroud of evidence to be worried about anything. Everything radical claim is debunked.

Global warming, pollution, and overfishing are problems. Putting the blame directly on Fukushima for every problem is weird and bizzare, and explaning every fault with nature on Fukushima is crazy too. Argument of ignorance.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Well then you're not researching scientific data on the ocean my friend. All science of the ocean corroborates and confirms global warming ten fold. The seafood and fishing industry closely monitor water/ocean temp and all sorts of things about where they fish for decades...The press on the industry is so negative because there is heavy political lobbying against global warming, and the seafood industry confirms global warming through their research of the ocean.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Putting the blame directly on Fukushima for every problem is weird and bizzare, and explaning every fault with nature on Fukushima is crazy too. Argument of ignorance.
reply to post by game over man

Yep that was the same spiel as the BP blow out in the gulf......guess what it was true.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join