It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation… what you need to know and why

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

I saw it.
Why would expect higher levels? You know that "expecting" results is not a very scientific approach, right?

edit on 2/12/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
vreply to post by Phage

Very true just i figured at 200 km from the sight it would still be detectable in most cases its not. Surprised would be a better word but ive been trying to tell them it isnt as bad as they think ive explained radiation but no one listens.But still the beta particles appear to be separating quicker than i imagined id love to see a simulation on it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

These guys have made a model that matches the observed decline in contamination levels. It corresponds to an annual influx (via leakage) of about 3 TBq/year. They project that to show that, given that rate of influx, pre-disaster levels (in seawater) would be reached in the immediate area by 2016. It may be that the model is on the worst case side.
www.sciencedirect.com...

Of course, contamination in sediments isn't going anywhere.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Phage

These guys have made a model that matches the observed decline in contamination levels. It corresponds to an annual influx (via leakage) of about 3 TBq/year. They project that to show that, given that rate of influx, pre-disaster levels (in seawater) would be reached in the immediate area by 2016. It may be that the model is on the worst case side.
www.sciencedirect.com...

Of course, contamination in sediments isn't going anywhere.

Judging from their model and actual reading im guessing they were going for worst case scenario.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Record cesium level in Fukushima plant groundwater.

The operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant says water samples taken from a newly-dug well contained the highest levels of radioactive cesium detected so far in groundwater at the site. Tokyo Electric Power Company says the record levels suggest that the leakage point could be near the well. The utility on Thursday said it had detected 54,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 137 and 22,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 134 in water samples.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

new records every week....it just gets better and better.
edit on R092014-02-13T15:09:46-06:00k092Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

In a way it could be good news.
As it says, it may help in locating the source of the leak.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Forget the 54,000 bq of cesium as a high..... now its 93,000 bq one day later.

TEPCO detects record levels of radioactive cesium near Pacific, more errors add to NRA's wrath

TEPCO is still eyeing dumping toxic water into the Pacific Ocean as it fails to contain in makeshift storage tanks [...] a massive daily influx of water needed to cool the battered reactors, while nuclear experts believe that other methods need to be traversed before contaminating the ocean. Dumping radioactive water into the ocean is of grave concern to local fisheries cooperatives as the potential for radioactive materials to spread to marine life remains a distinct possibility,

www.shanghaidaily.com...

They are most likely going to start dumping water from the storage tanks.... I am surprised that they haven't done it already.
edit on R152014-02-14T00:15:02-06:00k152Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R222014-02-14T00:22:48-06:00k222Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Bad Article, you need to be a bit of suspicious with the Chinese (Xinhua)
and their Relationship with the Truth, they speak much better
Tepconese than Tepco itself!

They wrote:

The overall decommissioning of the plant is expected to take around 40 years, with the removal of all nuclear fuel from the Number 4 reactor building being completed by the end of this year, however TEPCO said it had only successfully removed around 9 percent of more than 1,500 unused and spent fuel assemblies in the reactor building's storage pool.

◯Breakdown of transferred assemblies by kind
Spent fuel286 assemblies/1,331 assemblies
Unirradiated (New) fuel22 assemblies/ 202 assemblies

◯Number of times of cask transportation:
14 times

Original Source:

TEPCO, while admitting there may be a new leak at the site of a well located just 50 meters from the adjacent Pacific Ocean, confirmed that the levels of cesium found in its groundwater samples were as high as 54,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 137 and 22,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 134.

Shanghai Source

Your Result is wrong too

edit on 14-2-2014 by Human0815 because: better

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Human0815

Bad Article, you need to be a bit of suspicious with the Chinese (Xinhua)
and their Relationship with the Truth, they speak much better
Tepconese than Tepco itself!

They wrote:

The overall decommissioning of the plant is expected to take around 40 years, with the removal of all nuclear fuel from the Number 4 reactor building being completed by the end of this year, however TEPCO said it had only successfully removed around 9 percent of more than 1,500 unused and spent fuel assemblies in the reactor building's storage pool.

◯Breakdown of transferred assemblies by kind
Spent fuel286 assemblies/1,331 assemblies
Unirradiated (New) fuel22 assemblies/ 202 assemblies

◯Number of times of cask transportation:
14 times

Original Source:

TEPCO, while admitting there may be a new leak at the site of a well located just 50 meters from the adjacent Pacific Ocean, confirmed that the levels of cesium found in its groundwater samples were as high as 54,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 137 and 22,000 becquerels per liter of cesium 134.

Shanghai Source

Your Result is wrong too

edit on 14-2-2014 by Human0815 because: better

Bad article????

Feb. 12, 2013 reading: 54,000 bq per liter of cesium
Feb. 13, 2013 reading: 93,000 bq per liter of cesium

Tepco handout showing a new high record of Cesium at 93,000 bq per liter on Feb. 13, 2013

www.tepco.co.jp...

Tokyo — The UN nuclear watchdog on Thursday urged Japan to consider "controlled discharges" into the sea of contaminated water used to cool the crippled reactors at Fukushima. The proposal was among recommendations outlined in a report by the International Atomic Energy Agency after its latest inspection of the worst nuclear accident in a generation.

www.google.com...

Despite the injection of fresh capital, TEPCO is still eyeing dumping toxic water into the Pacific Ocean as it fails to contain in makeshift storage tanks -- the source of a number of previous leaks -- a massive daily influx of water needed to cool the battered reactors, while nuclear experts believe that other methods need to be traversed before contaminating the ocean.

www.shanghaidaily.com...

My post had nothing to do with fuel rod removal.....it concerned a new record cesium level and Tepco dumping more water into the ocean. Please stay on topic with what people post when replying to posts.

Your Result is wrong too

It would appear my post is 100% correct as posted.

edit on R212014-02-14T10:21:41-06:00k212Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R232014-02-14T10:23:04-06:00k232Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R242014-02-14T10:24:41-06:00k242Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R272014-02-14T10:27:31-06:00k272Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R292014-02-14T10:29:34-06:00k292Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R322014-02-14T10:32:49-06:00k322Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

My post had nothing to do with fuel rod removal..... stay on topic with what people post when replying to posts please.

But your Article spoke about the Fuel Rods
and the Numbers of Shanghaidaily are different
from yours too, i just corrected and added this Information,
for the Benefit of the Forum nothing else,
you make Bunny cry

(not really
. )

Edit: Now it is even 130.000 Bq a l.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

‘Hot’ materials found 15 km from Fukushima plant most likely from Unit 3 — 7.3 billion Bq/kg of Cesium — Over 7,500 Bq/kg of Plutonium and Americium

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

7,300,000,000 bq per kilogram........... great googly moogly batman!

They said the P word too..... plutonium... nasty stuff

The explosion at reactor #3 was huge, anybody who has seen the video knows this.... every day... a little more truth slowly leaks out. (pun intended)

edit on R462014-02-14T10:46:01-06:00k462Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Is this low Plutonium Level the final Evidence that not
the MOX exploded but "just" Hydrogen?

Press-Release:
Tepco Hand-Out

(just to see the Analysis!)
edit on 14-2-2014 by Human0815 because: file

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

I haven't followed the whole reactor 3 / MOX fuel thing.

But I can say this, if plutonium was released, that's a very bad thing!!

Never forget the beagles who died in the name of research.

Out of 144 beagles that were given plutonium nasal sprays in order to see what the effect on humans accidentally inhaling plutonium would be..... 97.9% of the dogs died of either bone cancer, lung cancer and two died of liver cancer. 141 out of 144.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Plutonium is deadly, even at very low doses.

edit on R372014-02-15T16:37:53-06:00k372Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R422014-02-15T16:42:03-06:00k422Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

There was plutonium released at Fukushima
www.rri.kyoto-u.ac.jp...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I knew that plutonium was released, that's a byproduct from nuclear fission.... I was trying to make the point that I stay away from the MOX fuel controversy surrounding reactor 3.

I think that there is sufficient evidence that reactor 3 was running MOX fuel, but some people still debate whether that is true or not.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

RickinVa

I haven't followed the whole reactor 3 / MOX fuel thing.

But I can say this, if plutonium was released, that's a very bad thing!!

Never forget the beagles who died in the name of research.

Out of 144 beagles that were given plutonium nasal sprays in order to see what the effect on humans accidentally inhaling plutonium would be..... 97.9% of the dogs died of either bone cancer, lung cancer and two died of liver cancer. 141 out of 144.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Plutonium is deadly, even at very low doses.

edit on R372014-02-15T16:37:53-06:00k372Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R422014-02-15T16:42:03-06:00k422Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

They should have never used dogs percentage was most dogs die of cancer and it is very dependant on the breed as well. So im not sure if this study really tells us anything other than maybe there was an increase in cancer death but to what extent we can't tell. But i have a feeling they used dogs on purpose to skew the results you have to be careful.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

No there was an explosion i think it was reactor 3 but yeah it was bad this made it difficult to restart the coolant in the reactors and it almost got alot worse. But some of the employees refused to abandon the plant seeing it as their responsibility to fix. And its a good thing they did if they just let it go there would have been a huge mess. Not sure the employees would have the same reaction in other countries.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For those of you that think omitting anything caught in the Pacific will somehow save you from toxic crap, think again. While the Atlantic doesn't have as much radiation, it is still an extremely polluted ocean. In fact, the East Coast of North America, due to higher population density and higher levels of industry, is more polluted than the West Coast, which is sparsely populated and has less human activity. Not to mention on the other side of the Atlantic, you have Europe and the Mediterranean sea, one of the most polluted bodies of water in the world, spewing plenty of toxic crap into the Atlantic. For example, Atlantic bluefin tuna has the highest levels of mercury of any tuna fish in the world. And Mercury is a far more widespread, dangerous toxin than radiation. Seriously, people, would you eat anything caught anywhere in the vicinity of New York or New Jersey?

And on top of this: Atlantic fish stocks are collapsing due to overfishing. Thus, Atlantic caught fish should be avoided as well, since eating it contributes to extinction and environmental chaos. Especially Atlantic Cod, of which stocks have collapsed everywhere. Humans aren't the only creatures who eat these fish. Many marine animals are dependant upon normal fish stocks to survive. Eating overfished fish will contribute to their extinction as well. Pacific fish stocks, on the other hand, are more plentiful and better managed.

Even the Indian Ocean is not safe. The 2004 Tsunami swept untold millions of tons of polluted crap into an ocean that was already surrounded by countries with few, if any environmental protections, who freely dumped all sorts of garbage into the sea without a second thought.

So if you are worried about the environment, eat Pacific fish. If you are paranoid for health reasons, then you should simply drop fish from your diet, period, because all the world's fish are heavily contaminated one way or another. Even farmed fish are a hazard. For that matter, avoid any European meat or dairy (Chernobyl).

When I eat fish, I tend to avoid Atlantic caught for health and environmental reasons. Given all the numerous sources of potentially hazardous radiation (cell phones, cell phone towers, wireless, radio waves, nuclear radiation from power plants,ect) Fukishima is a fart in a thunderstorm. Not saying that it's not bad news. The Japanese government does have its head up its rear, and the situation is a lot worse than they are letting on. The really are being idiots.

However, there are much worse ecological disasters in the making that will end up hurting us before Fukishima does. By the time Fukishima gets around to severely poisoning the world, we will probably already be dead from any one of a number of disasters waiting to happen (superbug outbreaks we can't stop, GMO tampering and contamination of the whole food chain, genetic damage from overdrugging the entire population, honeybee die off resulting in many of our food crops failing, increase in nuclear power over fossil fuels also increasing the amount of nuclear waste produced, ect).

I live on the West Coast and have paid plenty of attention to Fukishima, as it potentially effects me. And I am not losing any sleep over it. I am more concerned with our land based food stuffs, how they are produced, and long term consequences from them.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

There is no Controversy if Nr. 3 was running with and on MOX,
the Controversy is that some People (see Thread Nr. 1)
claim that the Fuel exploded and expelled/ ejected
from the Reactor, which is wrong!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Cesium levels high in hundreds of Fukushima reservoirs

Very high levels of accumulated radioactive cesium have been detected in the mud of hundreds of reservoirs used to irrigate farmland in Fukushima Prefecture, where agriculture is a key industry. The finding comes as prefectural authorities continue to try to assuage public concerns of contaminated food following the triple meltdown at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant three years ago. A joint survey by the prefectural government and a branch office of the farm ministry found that the levels exceed 8,000 becquerels per kilogram of soil in 576 reservoirs. In 14 of those cases, the level tops 100,000 becquerels.

The cat is slowly creeping out of the proverbial bag.........no good news ever comes out of Fukushima.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join