It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation… what you need to know and why

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

RickinVa

wishes
reply to post by RickinVa

Yes, I'm very interested in what they're doing (and not doing) there. I wasn't able to find anything substantial that the ALPS is up and running and performing to such a high standard, perhaps there are things in that report I wasn't able to see. I came across some debates about where the waste is going and am guessing they'll force it on the poorest neighborhoods or country. As far as I'm concerned they should put in in Abe's and the Tepco/IAEA officials backyards and see then how well they can solve problems.

It's hard to find information but it's there if you look for it.. I personally think to dismiss something simply because Tepco didn't say it is just wrong... I try to look at all sources for information, and sometimes you have to pull a lot of weeds before the flowers can breathe.... I, myself, do not arbitrarily dismiss information from Tepco. But they have a huge financial interest in everything they say or put out to the public. Just like some of the doom prophets out there.
edit on R072014-01-25T22:07:24-06:00k071Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

I actually agree there not going to release anything that opens them up to financial liability. However there are other groups watching and trying to keep them honest so to speak. For people outside of Japan its not really are concern but for people in Japan i do hope that they make their government jump all over their data. Right now the companies liability depends on how well they clean up their mess. Much like when theres an oil leak onto the ocean. BP got lucky mother nature took over and saved there rear do to producing a huge amount of microbes. This isnt going to happen here Tepco will have to literally sift and filter out all that radiation. Because i dont think the Jaanese government is willing to wait for 30 years. Now the next big test is removing the fuel rods from the reactors last i heard they were at 10 percent in my book this is far to slow.

The radiation complicates things but nothing we couldnt overcome with technology its just expensive and Tepco doesnt want to spend the money. I guarantee we could have a robot designed to remove them in less than a year but it would have a huge price tag. What they are doing is putting people through training programs at the plant then when they reach their badge limit move them to another facility. Heres where the government should step in. See these people are willing to except a 3 to 5 percent increase in cancer risk for the pay. But in the long run its the Japanese who will pay for this in added health costs . My other problem is just the time a person becomes familiar with the plant its time for them to go meaning you maintain a level of incompetence.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

1. and 2.System Kurion from the US and France gave Areva
3. Sarry from Toshiba
4. ALPS itself

Sarry:

SARRY stands for "Simplified Active Water Retrieve and Recovery System". Well, it doesn't quite stand for these words, but that's how Toshiba's been calling it. It is already being installed at Fukushima I Nuke Plant, and is expected to come online sometime in early August.

As it is planned right now, this Toshiba's system comes after Kurion and before AREVA. SARRY is being jointly built by Toshiba, IHI, and the US company Shaw. A metal cylinder of 1.4 meter in diameter and 3.6 meters in height is filled with synthetic zeolite and titanium silicate.

The system will connect these cylinders serially to decontaminate the water. The first half of the cylinders use absorbers with low percentage removal of cesium, and the second half of the cylinders use absorbers with higher percentage removal.

Ex-Skf

Kurion absorbed Caesium only,
Arevas was and is bigger:
Tepco
edit on 26-1-2014 by Human0815 because: more info

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

dragonridr

BGTM90

dragonridr
Lets explain it this way dirt will act as a natural filter allowing water to seep out but at the same time acts like a filter to heavier elements like tritium etc. Works alot like an oil filter in your car. Oil passes through the heavier sludge gets caught in the filter. This is why the radiation level spikes when measured per liter. There is less water but the same amount of radioactive material and you end up with huge numbers per liter. Now your right its a serious issue because they need that water to keep the fuel rods cool.Your looking at 3 to 5 years to cool them down. See when a fuel rod is exposed to air it has to rely on air convection to remove heat and its just not capable of removing enough heat.Where water is forced convection meaning as water heats up cooler water travels under it. Now since we have never had a fuel rod melt down we are not entirely sure what happens. But lets say i wouldnt want to be around if one does.

Please provide your source stating that dirt will filter out radioisotopes. How is Tritium a heavy element. Its an Isotope of Hydrogen which is the lightest of elements its lighter and smaller than the whole H2O molecule. Also please explain your 'less water but same amount of radiation' statement it just doesn't make sense. And water and air convection is the same when air is heated up it rises and cooler are is replaced the reason it is not as effective in cooling is because its less dense and the specific heat of air is a lot lower than water. Also we have had nuclear fuel rods melt down there have been multiple civilian and military meltdowns the US govt. has even purposely melted down rods for testing.

Simple water is easily absorbed into dirt hydrogen is not it bonds differently oxygen likes to bond with everything. This is why we get explosions. Now tritium which is 3 hydrogen atoms also known as H3 all over the moon and an excellent fuel source. Any way back to the discussion tritium will not make it as far as water and this causes it to condense. Ill use the example of a coffee filter. water easily passes through it however the grains that make up coffee do not. So all the water passes through and only some of the chemicals in coffee the rest remain in the filter. This works the same way water leaves some tritium escapes but alot more water does. This is why they can use it to gauge if there is a leak in the tank. If tritium levels rise water is leaking out. Now air convection and water convection are different water uses whats called forced convection. This is because water has pressure which changes the way it interacts with heat. In water a mass transfer occurs taking heat with it this is called advection.

No you are not understanding these concepts correctly: First H3 is not 3 hydrogen atoms it is one hydrogen atom that has one proton and two neutrons. Secondly filtration using a filter, such as your coffee filter, has nothing to do with bonding to the filter. Materials simply can not pass threw the filtration material because of it size. Third, Tritium will bond to oxygen creating what is called "Super Heavy Water". You can not filter H3 out of the water because it is the water. This is why every nuclear plant in the world is allowed routine tritium emissions. Also, hydrogen does not condense except at extremely cold temperatures that are just a few a degrees above absolute zero. If a filter that can not filter out water, it will also not filter out elemental Hydrogen, even Tritium. Also mass transfer occurs in gasses also, not just liquid water. It has more of an effect because water has more molecules per given volume as in, it is more dense and therefor, has a higher specific heat as I previously explained.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

BGTM90

dragonridr

BGTM90

dragonridr
Lets explain it this way dirt will act as a natural filter allowing water to seep out but at the same time acts like a filter to heavier elements like tritium etc. Works alot like an oil filter in your car. Oil passes through the heavier sludge gets caught in the filter. This is why the radiation level spikes when measured per liter. There is less water but the same amount of radioactive material and you end up with huge numbers per liter. Now your right its a serious issue because they need that water to keep the fuel rods cool.Your looking at 3 to 5 years to cool them down. See when a fuel rod is exposed to air it has to rely on air convection to remove heat and its just not capable of removing enough heat.Where water is forced convection meaning as water heats up cooler water travels under it. Now since we have never had a fuel rod melt down we are not entirely sure what happens. But lets say i wouldnt want to be around if one does.

Please provide your source stating that dirt will filter out radioisotopes. How is Tritium a heavy element. Its an Isotope of Hydrogen which is the lightest of elements its lighter and smaller than the whole H2O molecule. Also please explain your 'less water but same amount of radiation' statement it just doesn't make sense. And water and air convection is the same when air is heated up it rises and cooler are is replaced the reason it is not as effective in cooling is because its less dense and the specific heat of air is a lot lower than water. Also we have had nuclear fuel rods melt down there have been multiple civilian and military meltdowns the US govt. has even purposely melted down rods for testing.

Simple water is easily absorbed into dirt hydrogen is not it bonds differently oxygen likes to bond with everything. This is why we get explosions. Now tritium which is 3 hydrogen atoms also known as H3 all over the moon and an excellent fuel source. Any way back to the discussion tritium will not make it as far as water and this causes it to condense. Ill use the example of a coffee filter. water easily passes through it however the grains that make up coffee do not. So all the water passes through and only some of the chemicals in coffee the rest remain in the filter. This works the same way water leaves some tritium escapes but alot more water does. This is why they can use it to gauge if there is a leak in the tank. If tritium levels rise water is leaking out. Now air convection and water convection are different water uses whats called forced convection. This is because water has pressure which changes the way it interacts with heat. In water a mass transfer occurs taking heat with it this is called advection.

No you are not understanding these concepts correctly: First H3 is not 3 hydrogen atoms it is one hydrogen atom that has one proton and two neutrons. Secondly filtration using a filter, such as your coffee filter, has nothing to do with bonding to the filter. Materials simply can not pass threw the filtration material because of it size. Third, Tritium will bond to oxygen creating what is called "Super Heavy Water". You can not filter H3 out of the water because it is the water. This is why every nuclear plant in the world is allowed routine tritium emissions. Also, hydrogen does not condense except at extremely cold temperatures that are just a few a degrees above absolute zero. If a filter that can not filter out water, it will also not filter out elemental Hydrogen, even Tritium. Also mass transfer occurs in gasses also, not just liquid water. It has more of an effect because water has more molecules per given volume as in, it is more dense and therefore, has a higher specific heat as I previously explained.

Yeah it is getting late i was thinking 1 proton and 2 neutrons thanks for the correction.Tritium is not the water it is what happens when water is bombarded with radioactive isotopes the oxygen is released and the hydrogen becomes ionized. Then it breaks down further into helium . Now tritium is so weak its incredibly hard to detect so hard to detect. Its emissions are so low geiger counter won't even detect it to test for heavy water you have to take it to a lab and do whats called Liquid scintillation. The only fear you have of tritium is acually inhaling it since as i said earlier oxygen like to bond and it will do it in your lungs as well. This is why we gave to wear masks when handling it has nothing to do with radioactivity.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Yes what I meant to say is that you can not filter tritium out of water like you stated because it is apart of the water molecule. Also Tritium can be detected by a Geiger counter as shown here.

But now you are agreeing that tritium can not be filtered out of water with a coffee like filter?

Also what does inhaling Tritium and "oxygen boding in you lung" have to do with each other?

I don't agree that inhalation is the most dangerous thing you have to worry about. At par if not of greater concern with inhalation is consumption. Water is readily absorbed through the intestine and is a route for tritiated water to enter the body. Now sense we breath less water than we consume to me it would seam more of a concern.

Just to add heavy water is water composed of deuterium Super Heavy Water is water composed of Tritium.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

BGTM90
Yes what I meant to say is that you can not filter tritium out of water like you stated because it is apart of the water molecule. Also Tritium can be detected by a Geiger counter as shown here.

But now you are agreeing that tritium can not be filtered out of water with a coffee like filter?

Also what does inhaling Tritium and "oxygen boding in you lung" have to do with each other?

I don't agree that inhalation is the most dangerous thing you have to worry about. At par if not of greater concern with inhalation is consumption. Water is readily absorbed through the intestine and is a route for tritiated water to enter the body. Now sense we breath less water than we consume to me it would seam more of a concern.

Just to add heavy water is water composed of deuterium Super Heavy Water is water composed of Tritium.

No see ionized particles like tritium group together And several things filter out hydrogen ions how do you think they make heavy water in the first place. Heavy water is not a radiation threat its biggest health risk is literally drowning when you inhale. But as far as beta emissions you get more radiation from your microwave at home. As far as detecting it with a geiger counter you cant well you can when you start dealing in several gallons. The keychain is a gaseous form of tritium you know the stuff you dont want to breath. But more pointedly its beta decay is hastened by using phosphor causing it to glow. Tritium does not glow so you can't hold a tritium keychain in front of a geiger counter and go see it detects it. A Geiger counter will do the same thing he did holding it to a florescent bulb in your house.Remember radiation is just Electromagnetic radiation just like lights or radio waves. Not all EM is dangerous and some only slightly. Just because it emits particles doesnt mean it will kill you do you realize they make pendants out of tritium and remember they are increasing the beta decay in order to get it to glow and people wear them. Does this tell you how little energy tritium imparts its beta particles wont even go through your skin.

It takes massive amounts of tritium to kill you you will literally have to sit in a pool of the stuff for weeks to die from radiation exposure, but i dont think you would last that long because its first thing would be radiation burns. You would feel like someone poured acid on your skin. Since the beta particles cant actually enter the body they will damage the skin however. But a trip to a dermatologist and youll be fine though id watch for skin cancer.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Human0815

I said since we started to talk about ALPS that you need to read
the Files because it was clear that ALPS it self is still in a Test Phase

It is also clear that the final Sludge is highly toxic.

You need also to understand that the Filtration is not only based on ALPS but on 4-6 other Facilities.

Sadly i cant post Images from a Pdf but i will look for it,
nice as i am!

I do not care about other filtration systems in place at Fukushima... this discussion is about Tepco claiming that ALPS can clean the water of 99% of its radionuclides so it can be dumped in the ocean... it can't plain and simple.

it does no good for the thread, it's an attempt to divert the thread away from certain topics

I nailed that one.... want to talk about ALPS? and what can or can not be done to fix it?

I agree that ALPS is in the test phase, but to promote it as something thats going to save the water at Fukushima is just plain wrong. And the test results so far are not promising. Not good at all actually...

edit on R302014-01-26T14:30:47-06:00k301Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R332014-01-26T14:33:12-06:00k331Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R372014-01-26T14:37:06-06:00k371Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R382014-01-26T14:38:09-06:00k381Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think we should do a little bit of a reboot here.

This is a Aug 24th, 3013 article from National Geographic.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The new storage tank leak presents a different and potentially more serious problem than the ongoing groundwater flow leaks. The water from the leaking tank is so heavily contaminated with strontium-90, cesium-137, and other radioactive substances that a person standing less than two feet away would receive, in an hour's time, a radiation dose equivalent to five times the acceptable exposure for nuclear workers, Reuters reported. Within ten hours, the exposed person would develop radiation sickness, with symptoms such as nausea and a drop in white blood cells.

This is very, very nasty stuff.

TEPCO said on Wednesday that tests of seawater from a ditch near the leaking tank didn't show any significant increase in the amount of cesium-137 and other radioactive materials, suggesting that the highly radioactive water isn't directly reaching the ocean. However, the possibility remains that the contaminated water might be mixing into groundwater that flows through the plant site into the ocean. In mid-July, levels of radioactive cesium-137 and cesium-134 from monitoring wells inside the plant unexpectedly surged nearly 15-fold, a phenomenon that scientists have been unable to explain. (See related story: "One Year After Fukushima, Japan Faces Shortages of Energy, Trust.")

Ken Buesseler, a senior scientist as the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts who has studied radiation leakage from the Fukushima plant, said he is concerned about the lack of data on levels of strontium-90 in the waters off Fukushima. He said that the groundwater now leaking into the Pacific—including, possibly, some contamination from leaking tanks—might now have much higher levels of that particular substance. Strontium-90 has potentially greater health risks than cesium isotopes because it becomes concentrated in the bones of fish and humans, he said.

Doesn't look like anything is filtering any of the radiation out of the water.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

RickinVa

Human0815

I said since we started to talk about ALPS that you need to read
the Files because it was clear that ALPS it self is still in a Test Phase

It is also clear that the final Sludge is highly toxic.

You need also to understand that the Filtration is not only based on ALPS but on 4-6 other Facilities.

Sadly i cant post Images from a Pdf but i will look for it,
nice as i am!

I do not care about other filtration systems in place at Fukushima... this discussion is about Tepco claiming that ALPS can clean the water of 99% of its radionuclides so it can be dumped in the ocean... it can't plain and simple.

it does no good for the thread, it's an attempt to divert the thread away from certain topics

I nailed that one.... want to talk about ALPS? and what can or can not be done to fix it?

I agree that ALPS is in the test phase, but to promote it as something thats going to save the water at Fukushima is just plain wrong. And the test results so far are not promising. Not good at all actually...

edit on R302014-01-26T14:30:47-06:00k301Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R332014-01-26T14:33:12-06:00k331Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R372014-01-26T14:37:06-06:00k371Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R382014-01-26T14:38:09-06:00k381Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

In theory it can but often times the difference between theory and reality are two different things. Under optimal conditions meaning it was installed on a fully functioning plant yeah probably would. But in this case were talking a damaged plant. And that means installation problems as well as maintenance problems. If they by some miracle can keep this thing running it will do the job. But i fear its going to be down for maintenance as much as its working. Meaning they wont ever really get ahead but always playing catch up. But to be honest thats not the biggest problem they need to tackle out first. First thing should be bringing in new tanks to fix the damaged ones then do a sight clean up so you can bring workers in then worry about the levels of beta particles in the water. So hopefully this system will at least maintain the current level. And they can move forward there spending way to much time worrying about the leaks. They need to go with there plan of freezing the water under the plant and be done with it.
edit on 1/26/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

dragonridr

BGTM90

No see ionized particles like tritium group together And several things filter out hydrogen ions how do you think they make heavy water in the first place. Heavy water is not a radiation threat its biggest health risk is literally drowning when you inhale. But as far as beta emissions you get more radiation from your microwave at home. As far as detecting it with a geiger counter you cant well you can when you start dealing in several gallons. The keychain is a gaseous form of tritium you know the stuff you dont want to breath. But more pointedly its beta decay is hastened by using phosphor causing it to glow. Tritium does not glow so you can't hold a tritium keychain in front of a geiger counter and go see it detects it. A Geiger counter will do the same thing he did holding it to a florescent bulb in your house.Remember radiation is just Electromagnetic radiation just like lights or radio waves. Not all EM is dangerous and some only slightly. Just because it emits particles doesnt mean it will kill you do you realize they make pendants out of tritium and remember they are increasing the beta decay in order to get it to glow and people wear them. Does this tell you how little energy tritium imparts its beta particles wont even go through your skin.

It takes massive amounts of tritium to kill you you will literally have to sit in a pool of the stuff for weeks to die from radiation exposure, but i dont think you would last that long because its first thing would be radiation burns. You would feel like someone poured acid on your skin. Since the beta particles cant actually enter the body they will damage the skin however. But a trip to a dermatologist and youll be fine though id watch for skin cancer.

First you can not hastened radioactive decay with out changing the quantum mechanism which causes it, which we do not fully understand nor do we have the power to change it. You can not change the rate of radioactive decay of an isotope. Radioactive decay or radiation as you call it is not just Electromagnetism. Gamma Rays are but Alpha and Beta particles are not a part of the spectrum.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

First you can not hastened radioactive decay with out changing the quantum mechanism which causes it, which we do not fully understand nor do we have the power to change it. You can not change the rate of radioactive decay of an isotope. Radioactive decay or radiation as you call it is not just Electromagnetism. Gamma Rays are but Alpha and Beta particles are not a part of the spectrum.
reply to post by BGTM90

Not true radioactive decay is not constant we have learned that within the past 30 years. Within the past 10 we are learning to manipulate the rate of decay using other elements. I suggest you look into tritium gas and and the discovery actually originally for the military. This is why we can make tritium glow as it interacts with phosphor but also causes it to release more beta radiation than normal.For example half life of tritium is 30 years yet tritium lights only last for 10 years. As i said radiation decay is not constant like it was assumed it depends on the environment its in. As for beta particles your half right beta particles by themselves are not radioactive. However when they collide with another particle they release electromagnetic radiation. This is what causes the damage though minimal because of the nature of the radiation. Alphas are dangerous because it grabs electrons from the particle at collision called ionizing and as these electrons slow down they emit x-rays.So Ionizing radiation does far more damage. A beta particle may knock an electron off you'll see this as usually a flash of light or on skin feel it as heat. This is why when you hold uranium its warm to you.Beta particles over all are very tame and can safely be handled. You just need to prevent them from entering the lungs and getting into the bloodstream where they can damage the walls of arteries for example.Beta in most instances won't even get past the second or third layer of skin unless you have prolonged exposure.

Ok let me explain there is only three types of ionizing radiation.They are ultraviolet Which is why we get a tan in an attempt to protect ourselves. Then there is X rays this causes damage to cells and finally the heavy hitter gamma rays which has the potential to kill you in a matter of hours. Now when a beta particle collides it produces usually UV thats why the gas glows in the tube. So ignore beta particles for the most part other than damaging cells its next to no major radiation threat and takes mass quantities to overcome our bodies ability to replace cells As long as it stays external. Your skin is more than up to the job.If ingested and exposure is prolonged say a year you have a problem. If you return to normal radiation levels in that time your body will remove the beta particles within a couple of months. Beta particles are removed very effectively by human body. If you know you are going to continue exposure you can take prussian blue as well. This will encapsulate the beta particle helping in its removal.

Please understand when im trying to explain this im keeping it very general because if we go into physics people eyes glaze over and they stare into space. If you have any questions on the science involved e mail me we can get in depth if you like.

One more thing be far more worried about Strontium-90 i saw they mentioned that earlier. It accumulates in bone and teeth and the body sees it as calcium. This can directly affect the body's ability to fight off disease damaging the creation of white blood cells leading to leukemia for example.
edit on 1/26/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I found this site today, it's a little dated and it's mainly concerning uranium and uranium mining in Canada. But it actually has some very good info and explains radioactivity easy enough that most people can grasp.

www.ccnr.org...

edit on R452014-01-26T20:45:50-06:00k451Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

RickinVa

I found this site today, it's a little dated and it's mainly concerning uranium and uranium mining in Canada. But it actually has some very good info and explains radioactivity easy enough that most people can grasp.

www.ccnr.org...

edit on R452014-01-26T20:45:50-06:00k451Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

This is an excellent summary of all things uranium as well as problems with the nuclear industry and uranium mining! I posted it in the other Japan Part 2 thread as well. Radiation in all its forms is a huge global problem and absolutely LETHAL to all life. As I've said before and as this link also shows is that cancers develop years down the road and are never associated with radiation poisoning. The National Film Board of Canada (I think now defunct) has a reputation of producing high quality independent documentaries and films. If their name is on something it is well researched.

Fukushima is not under control, it is perilous and has already exploded tons of crap into the air. Plus they are burning radioactive waste which is ALSO going into the air. Prevailing winds come to Canada from there and then it rains. There is no safe level of man-made radiation, it all does damage in one way or another, only difference is how much it takes over what period of time to develop cancer or leukemia but develop cancer or leukemia it does. Is heartbreaking what these *#(^@$% get away with...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

wishes
Radiation in all its forms is a huge global problem and absolutely LETHAL to all life.
That's a bit over the top. Radiation at high levels can kill you and cause cancers, but evidence that low levels of radiation are harmful is just not conclusive.

I don't recommend doing this, but this guy Galen Winsor tried to demonstrate that people were too obsessed with risks of low levels of radiation, and he purposely exposed himself to radiation all his life and he died in his 80s of old age. Maybe he would have lived a year longer or something without all the radiation exposure but the truth lies between the alarmists who say all radiation is harmful and guys like Galen Winsor who think it's safe. OK it's a sample size of one so not statistically valid, but he did prove that he lived a very long life even after exposing himself to lots of radiation, intentionally.

Man Eats Uranium, Drinks and Swims In Reactor Water, Ignites Plutonium In His Bare Hand

In the video, you can watch Galen lick a pile of highly radioactive uranium off the palm of his hand and ignite a chunk of plutonium into a shower of flaming dust. The guy also drank reactor cooling pool water for fun and liked to go swimming in the pool to relax. He also spiked the basement flooring of his own home with enough radioactive material to send any Geiger counter reading off the scale to disprove the fear mongering surrounding radon at the time.

Now before you think I'm a pro nuclear plant guy, I'm not. My two biggest problems with nuclear power are we still have no way to dispose of nuclear waste safely, and we have no economical means of insuring nuclear plants. In fact no insurance company would be likely to survive incurring the kinds of liabilities incurred in the Fukushima disaster.

But more people are dying from burning coal to make electricity, than from generating electricity from nuclear power, and I don't see anyone making a big deal out of all the people dying from coal power plants.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

RickinVa

Human0815
Op looks very angry because someone do not shared his Opinion,
but anger is a bad reason to start a Discussion, Topic or What So Ever

I am "happy" that this Accident happen/ed here in Japan and not
somewhere else like in Bulgaria, Slovenia or any other old Eastern European Plant.

I have no idea what you mean... if you want to discuss the effects of the leakage at Fukushima... then go for it.... theres too much info out there if you simply research it.

What's the ATS motto?? Deny Ignorance

I am just trying to educate people about the long term effects of Fukushima
edit on 13-1-2014 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

The fact that you stated that you are "happy" that the accident occurred in Japan is just plain morbid to me.... it should have never happened in the first place.
edit on 13-1-2014 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)
I guess its like they say ignorance is bliss, I have tried educating countless people on this matter aswell only to be laughed at and told its never going to have any effects on the people of earth(when it is CLEARLY already harming animals and the enviroment ,its sad really because the general concensses around the people i have told these things to ,is that no one really cares or they are all so afraid deep down inside, they would rather pretend its not really happening sweep it under the rug like it dosent exist and go about their fabricated lives of distraction and consumption, i guess when we start turning up with skin lesions and festering boils,falling out hair teeth and finger nails and a plethera of lung organ and reproductive diseases thats when people will wake up to the true horror of this reality.LONG TERM EFFECTS OF RADON AND RADIATION POISONING ARE NO JOKE PEOPLE QUIT FOOLING YOURSELVES!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

GOOD INFO MAN ,IM ALWAYS UP FOR A GOOD READ AND SOME KNOWLEDGE, I LEARNED ALOT FROM YOUR POST THANKS.
edit on 27-1-2014 by nonconformist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

wishes

RickinVa

www.ccnr.org...

This is an excellent summary of all things uranium as well as problems with the nuclear industry and uranium mining! I posted it in the other Japan Part 2 thread as well. Radiation in all its forms is a huge global problem and absolutely LETHAL to all life. As I've said before and as this link also shows is that cancers develop years down the road and are never associated with radiation poisoning. The National Film Board of Canada (I think now defunct) has a reputation of producing high quality independent documentaries and films. If their name is on something it is well researched.

Fukushima is not under control, it is perilous and has already exploded tons of crap into the air. Plus they are burning radioactive waste which is ALSO going into the air. Prevailing winds come to Canada from there and then it rains. There is no safe level of man-made radiation, it all does damage in one way or another, only difference is how much it takes over what period of time to develop cancer or leukemia but develop cancer or leukemia it does. Is heartbreaking what these *#(^@$% get away with... [ well put man ,i agree and those who belive it is under control are in denial. i like what you said about there is no safe level of man made radiation so true and it does take time to develop that # , its only been a few years and look at all the sea life dying and how much of that # has blown over to canada already, i dont even wanna know what it will look like in another five or ten.dont eat fish from the pacific either.
edit on 27-1-2014 by nonconformist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

There are many radiation scientists who adamantly maintain even low levels of radiation are toxic and potentially lethal - I just came across one (is detailed in the Japan mega thread pictures link that was just posted) who showed that one x-ray on a pregnant woman upped the chances of the fetus developing cancer by 50-100%. How is that not lethal? Another scientist explained until the background radiation on the planet dropped to a certain level it would not support single cell organisms - and now man is increasing the background radiation, where do you think this is going to lead?

I would also argue (hypothetically because I really don't have the time to dig and compile statistics) that more people do not die of coal fumes than radiation - the main problem with radiation deaths is that the cancers form years later and are seldom, if EVER, attributed to the nuclear testing or nuclear waste in the water or nuclear leaks or meltdowns and explosions and that's besides people having to evacuate their homes because of it. The nuke industry does NOT want people to believe it's remotely dangerous or hazardous to anyone's health so they spend a lot of time blocking information and putting out falsehoods to keep us lulled into complacency. I think it is very reasonable to look at cancer statistics for an answer to how many people die from (undiagnosed) radiation poisoning.

As for that 'one' guy who played in all kinds of radiation - perhaps his body is an anomaly, perhaps what he was partaking in wasn't really what he claimed it was - either way he is an exception and not the norm. After Hiroshima the government did a long term study on a 'few' survivors that came out unscathed among the untold thousands who died instantly and thereafter from cancer. I saw some guy who was immune to hydrochloric acid and could bathe in it unscathed. Doesn't prove it's "harmless" for the other 99% of the population.

There is nothing safe about man made radiation. It is not necessary - there are alternatives - but 'they' aren't willing to use them for obvious (to me) reasons.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

Also the birth rate of babies born with cancer in canada has gone up i think it was like 35% in the last 2-3 years since this has happened both scientist and doctors belive it is direct cause.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
More about radiation in all its glory...

Dr. Alice Stewart has become a world authority on the health hazards of low-level radiation. She was the one who determined, in 1956, that a single diagnostic X ray of a pregnant woman increased the risk of cancer in the child by 50 to 100 percent. Much to her surprise, she found herself under attack by the nuclear power industry, because they had been telling the public for years that such low doses of radiation are harmless. Dr. Stewart went on to study uranium miners, Japanese A-bomb survivors, and plutonium plant workers. Her most recent work concentrated on the health effects of background radiation.

"Single-celled organisms could not exist until background radiation fell to present levels millennia ago. And it requires just as delicate an environment for us to survive. Yet today, in the arrogance of humankind, we are raising the levels of background radiation and setting back the evolutionary clock."

Birmingham Regional Cancer Registry, England. 13 September 1981.
nonuclear.se...

Maids of Muslyumovo. Women from the Tartar/Bakshir village of Muslyumovo in Chelyabinsk watch Western scientists measure radiation levels in the Techa River as it flows past their town. The Chelyabinsk reactor, 35 kilometers upstream, made plutonium for the first Soviet atomic bombs. From 1949 until 1953 the plant dumped liquid high-level radioactive waste directly into the Techa. The waters turned black and villagers downstream fell ill. Forty years later, these women are learning that those illnesses were due to radioactivity in the water. Soviet doctors were forbidden to use the term “radiation sickness” -- they were ordered to replace it with the phrase “vegetative syndrome”. Village of Muslyumovo, Chelyabinsk, Russia. 17 March 1991.
nonuclear.se...

Theodor B. Taylor was a nuclear weapons designer. He invented the world's smallest nuclear weapon, nicknamed “the Davy Crockett,” and he also designed some of the largest H-bombs ever built. For years he was captivated by the “technical sweetness” of weapons physics; but when he realized the consequences of nuclear war, he changed. “It's all too easy for a madman, a terrorist, or a criminal to build his own atomic bomb,” he said in 1972. “I've been worried about it ever since I made my first one.” Ted Taylor believed that the world's number one problem is the proliferation of plutonium. He warned against the rash proliferation of nuclear power plants because they make plutonium available worldwide. He declared that if a fraction of the money invested in nuclear power had gone to solar energy, we would be further ahead in solving our energy problems today. Damascus, Maryland, USA. 13 October 1986.
nonuclear.se...

Irma Thomas, resident of St. George, Utah. It took Irma Thomas 18 years to realize that the serious illnesses she observed throughout her neighborhood might be linked to atomic fallout. She was the first resident of St. George to publicly question government assurances that atmospheric nuclear testing was safe. After she spoke out, many others came forward; together they mounted a successful class-action lawsuit against the government, charging it with negligence. She says, "Psychologists call it mass hysteria. But why wouldn't it be, when it's been mass murder?" St. George, Utah. 7 November 1982.
nonuclear.se...
My comment: Yes, people like to cry hysterical, doom porn, fear monger - Irma Thoma hit the nail on the head - it is mass murder!

These examples are just a few samples from a photo exhibit by Robert Del Tredici, April 2007
nonuclear.se...

Commonality is denial by the nuclear industry, refusal to acknowledge and compensate those who get sick from it, doctors told to stop talking... and we're supposed to "believe" IAEA and Tepco about this?!?!?
edit on 27-1-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join