It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation… what you need to know and why

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Lazy is what I was, I didn't take the time to look up the term, Reactor Pressure Vessel.
This is what I meant.

However, would you agree, that the presents of reactor core materials and byproducts in soil, air and ocean samples is proof of a containment breach ? The extent of which is yet to be determined.

edit on 18-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Im no expert on nuclear meltdowns but chernobyl was an event that was cleaned up relatively quick,a concrete base was poured in underneath the reactor to stop it reaching groundwater,helicopters poured borium over the reactor and the station was encased in a structure,a massive military operation that cost a lot of lives however chernobyl is stable and is a low risk thanks to its remote location.

Now we have Fukushima its been nearly 3 years since the disaster begun ,in the longterm this is going to far exceed the damage chernobyl did,the ground is saturated with water so a concrete base like at chernobyl isnt possible, the plant is practically sinking and cannot be contained.

In short their is nothing that can be done other than sticking band aids on it,another big earthquake or tsunami is very likely to happen again before the plant is under any kind of control so the possibility of an even bigger disaster is a very real possibility,even the best case scenario is grim.

Their are people posting saying the situation isnt as bad as what is being claimed and things are improving but its only been 3 years,imagine if another earthquake/tsunami happens tommorow it will all be over,You think it wont happen? well it did happen and it can happen again at any moment.

There needs to be a full scale military response with advisors from russia/usa ,give it everything we've got before its too late.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

US Nuclear Officials: Fuel fragments were likely ejected from cladding at the 3 Fukushima reactors — Particles of fuel resemble highly radioactive ‘mystery black substance’ often seen in Japan since 3/11 December 11, 2013 in Nuclear Crises - See more at: globalresearchreport.com... -of-fuel-resemble-highly-radioactive-mystery-black-substance-oft/#sthash.7gnrJsGv.dpuf

Fuel dispersal is the ejection of fuel fragments or particles through a rupture or opening in the cladding. […] Fuel fragmentation—that is, fracture of the fuel pellet into large fragments—appears to occur as soon as any meaningful amount of burnup is accumulated, as low as a few megawatt days per metric ton uranium. - See more at: globalresearchreport.com... -of-fuel-resemble-highly-radioactive-mystery-black-substance-oft/#sthash.7gnrJsGv.dpuf

US Nuclear Officials
This has been debated before and I thought all agree core material made it's way out. Spent fuel pool wasn't only source.
Like it better when new information is discussed instead of having to go backwards on the same issues over and over.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Fukushima spread far more than just gases - there's also hot particles and blown up fuel rods.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

"Might" and "Were likely" is not enough for me!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Retired Military Scientist Exposes Fukushima Cover-Up, ‘Will Become A Planetary Problem, Not Just A Pacific Problem’

midnightwatcher.wordpress.com... ic-problem/

Dr. Richard Davis: “Remember, there were multiple reactors … that blew up at Fukushima. They all had different kinds of isotopes that were involved — the MOX 3 obviously with plutonium which is a deadly, deadly material — so we have a mixture of toxins and poisons that are being emitted into the atmosphere, under the ground, seeping into the ground water, and now being flushed out into the Pacific ocean with the cooling that’s going on there in an unrestricted, unrestrained way. And it doesn’t surprise me that you’re seeing this plume now finally washing up on the shores of the Western part of the United States, Canada, and eventually this will become a global phenomenon as these sea waters mix and cross the equator and move into the Southern Hemisphere … Eventually Fukushima will become a planetary problem, not just a Pacific problem …

Shocking Tokyo Japan Radiation Test by Dr. Chris Busby (4 months old)

tested 1/10 of a gram of dust off a filter showing doubled background radiation with high concentration of Cesium 137, lead 210 and uranium and is a serious problem in Tokyo - many thousands of becquerels per kilogram in the dust and anyone changing filters need to be told they are hazardous...

www.frequency.com...

For those of you who want to discredit Dr. Busby simply because he 'sells iodine' - he was promoting iodine use and is not affiliated with the company or gets paid - I saw an interview with him discussing that but I can't find it - and he said because of the flack he's stopped doing even that but he does recommend people to take iodine!

As well - even if he did 'sell' iodine - so what???? He didn't blow up Fukushima so he could promote iodine... keep focused on the information and don't get distracted by insignificant things... Dr. Busby, Dr. Helen Caldicott, Arnie Gunderson, Dr. Richard Davis and Lauren Meret are far more experienced and educated in radiation than myself or anyone else I know in these forums.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This stuff is easy to research on the internet, but unfortunately that vast majority of people won’t do it. They will allow their opinions to be swayed based on false information put out by other people. Sometimes people need to be force fed information in order to make them grow, just like you sometimes must force feed a baby to make it grow.

Always keep in the back of your mind that just because it’s on the internet or news station doesn’t make it true…. People get passionate about the things they believe in, as do I, so research for the information you need to make a sound judgment. Go to your local library (remember those???) and check out some books about what you want learn about.

I am going to try and keep this as basic as possible to prevent thread drift. Like Joe Friday from Dragnet always said….just the facts, mam, just the facts!

Prior to discussing the topic of Fukushima radiation, you need a basic understanding of what radiation actually is.

Atoms:

The atom is a basic unit of matter that consists of a dense central nucleus surrounded by a cloud of negatively charged electrons. The atomic nucleus contains a mix of positively charged protons and electrically neutral neutrons.

en.wikipedia.org...

Stable atoms:

An atom is stable if the forces among the particles that make up the nucleus are balanced.

Unstable atoms:

An atom is unstable (radioactive) if these forces are unbalanced if the nucleus has an excess of internal energy. Unstable atoms are called radionuclides. The instability of a radionuclide's nucleus may result from an excess of either neutrons or protons. An unstable nucleus will continually vibrate and contort and, sooner or later, attempt to reach stability by some combination of means: • ejecting neutrons, and protons • converting one to the other with the ejection of a beta particle or positron • the release of additional energy by photon (i.e., gamma ray) emission.

www.epa.gov...

So there you have it……radiation, as it pertains to Fukushima, is a term used to describe what happens when a radionuclide tries to stabilize itself. Radionuclides will eventually burn up their energy and become stable at some point and time, unfortunately this can be millions of years for some unstable atoms.

The time rate of a radionuclide’s journey from unstable to stable is known as half-life. Let’s use Iodine-131 as our example as it has a very short half-life of 8 days. What does this mean? It means that if I have 10 radionuclides of Iodine-131, then in 8 days there will be 5 radionuclides of Iodine-131, the other 5 will have become stable and are no longer radioactive.

Soooo theoretically, 16 days after my Iodine-131 was created, it will have decayed (used up its energy) to the point where it is no longer radioactive, correct?

Not so fast my friend…. When a radionuclide goes from being unstable to stable, it is not a one step process…there are many processes that the radionuclide goes through to achieve stability. This is known as the decay chain. Radionuclides really want to become stable and in their effort to do so, new atoms are created. Unfortunately, some of these new atoms are unstable as well. So as our original radionuclide decays, it creates more radionuclides in the process… over time, the original amount of radionuclides will decrease due to decay, but the amount of radionuclides created in the process will increase until they eventually decay as well.

Radionuclide decay chains are important in planning for the management and disposal of radioactive materials and waste and for site cleanup. As radioactive decay progresses, the concentration of the original radionuclides decreases, while the concentration of their decay products increases and then decreases as they undergo transformation.

www.epa.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.epa.gov...

Let’s look at Stontium 90… it has a half-life of 29 years and most people would automatically assume that in 58 years it should be gone, but due to the decay chain, the actual time is more along the lines of 290 years.

www.ehow.com...

To further understand radiation and avoid confusion, let’s examine the root word, radiate and its various meanings. For the purpose of discussion, we will concern ourselves with the word radiate and it’s variations as it pertains to Fukushima.

Radiate: 1. To send out rays or waves. 2. To issue or emerge in rays or waves: Heat radiated from the stove. 3. To extend in straight lines from or toward a center; diverge or converge like rays: Spokes radiate from a wheel hub. 1. To emit (light, for example) in or as if in rays. 2. To send or spread out from or as if from a center: a cactus that radiates spines. 3. To irradiate or illuminate (an object).

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Radiation: 1. The act or process of radiating: the radiation of heat and light from a fire. 2. Physics a. Emission and propagation and emission of energy in the form of rays or waves. b. Energy radiated or transmitted as rays, waves, in the form of particles. c. A stream of particles or electromagnetic waves emitted by the atoms and molecules of a radioactive substance as a result of nuclear decay. 3. a. The act of exposing or the condition of being exposed to such energy. b. The application of such energy, as in medical treatment.

Radioactivity: 1. Spontaneous emission of radiation, either directly from unstable atomic nuclei or as a consequence of a nuclear reaction. 2. The radiation, including alpha particles, nucleons, electrons, and gamma rays, emitted by a radioactive substance. (Nuclear Physics) the spontaneous emission of radiation from atomic nuclei. The radiation can consist of alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.

Ok so now we have a basic understanding of radiation and radioactivity. Right? Not so fast Grasshopper, we need to dig a little deeper on this subject!

Ionizing radiation: High-energy radiation capable of producing ionization in substances through which it passes alpha radiation, alpha ray - the radiation of alpha particles during radioactive decay beta radiation, beta ray, electron radiation - radiation of beta particles during radioactive decay cosmic ray - highly penetrating ionizing radiation of extraterrestrial origin; consisting chiefly of protons and alpha particles; collision with atmospheric particles results in rays and particles of many kinds neutron radiation - radiation of neutrons (as by a neutron bomb) radiation - energy that is radiated or transmitted in the form of rays or waves or particles roentgen ray, X ray, X-radiation, X-ray - electromagnetic radiation of short wavelength produced when high-speed electrons strike a solid target

non-ionizing radiation: Refers to any type of electromagnetic radiation that does not carry enough energy per quantum to ionize atoms or molecules—that is, to completely remove an electron from an atom or molecule.[1] Instead of producing charged ions when passing through matter, the electromagnetic radiation has sufficient energy only for excitation, the movement of an electron to a higher energy state. The region at which radiation becomes considered as "ionizing" is not well defined, since different molecules and atoms ionize at different energies. The usual definitions have suggested that radiation with particle or photon energies less than 10 electronvolts (eV) be considered non-ionizing. Another suggested threshold is 33 electronvolts, which is the energy needed to ionize water molecules. The light from the Sun that reaches the earth is largely composed of non-ionizing radiation, since the ionizing far-ultraviolet rays have been filtered out by the gases in the atmosphere, particularly oxygen. The remaining ultraviolet radiation from the Sun is in the non-ionizing band, and causes molecular damage (for example, sunburn) by photochemical and free-radical-producing means that do not ionize.[2]

encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com...

So now we understand that a radionuclide gives off ionizing radiation.

Ok man I got the whole radiation thing… let’s move on! Again, slow down Grasshopper…there is more to learn!

Natural background radiation: Radioactive material is found throughout nature. Detectable amounts occur naturally in soil, rocks, water, air, and vegetation, from which it is inhaled and ingested into the body. In addition to this internal exposure, humans also receive external exposure from radioactive materials that remain outside the body and from cosmic radiation from space. The worldwide average natural dose to humans is about 2.4 millisievert (mSv) per year.[1] This is four times more than the worldwide average artificial radiation exposure, which in the year 2008 amounted to about 0.6 mSv per year. In some rich countries like the US and Japan, artificial exposure is, on average, greater than the natural exposure, due to greater access to medical imaging. In Europe, average natural background exposure by country ranges from under 2 mSv annually in the United Kingdom to more than 7 mSv annually in Finland.

Artificial background radiation:

It’s exactly what it says it is….. not natural, as for the purposes of our Fukushima discussion, it is something that has been created by humans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free fun fact of the day:
Smoking causes or greatly increases the chances of getting lung cancer. This is an accepted scientific fact.
Why does smoking increase the odds of getting lung cancer?? RADIATION.

Cigarettes contain polonium-210, originating from the decay products of radon, which stick to tobacco leaves. Heavy smoking results in a radiation dose of 160 mSv/year to localized spots at the bifurcations of segmental bronchi in the lungs from the decay of polonium-210. This dose is not readily comparable to the radiation protection limits, since the latter deal with whole body doses, while the dose from smoking is delivered to a very small portion of the body. Please note the distinction between a whole body dose and a localized dose.

So to sum it up:

Fukushima has created and is still creating every single day, radionuclides. These radionuclides include Cesium, Strontium, Tritium and a host of others. These radionuclides will exist on this planet until they naturally decay. During the decay chain process, more radionuclides will be created by the radionuclides released by Fukushima. The radionuclides that go into the Pacific Ocean will dissipate to low levels or non-detectable levels (by current standards) due to the enormous amount of water in the ocean. Logic dictates that the further away you get from Fukushima the more the radionuclides will dissipate or disperse.

The Pacific Ocean will dilute the radiation coming from Fukushima. FALSE

People like to say that the ocean will dilute the radiation but this is not a true statement, its misleading at best. Radiation is not a chemical that can be mixed with water, it is an atom and you can’t dilute atoms by throwing them in water. That radionuclide that goes into the ocean will still be in the ocean.

Example: On March 11, 2011 a single radionuclide of Stontium 90 is created by Fukushima and goes into the ocean. Today, January 18, 2014, that same radionuclide is still in the ocean and will remain there thousands of years. It is not any weaker today than the day it was born, it’s still struggling to turn itself into a stable atom. Now, obviously, the more water that surrounds it, the harder it will be to find, simple mathematics.

The Pacific Ocean will dilute the effects of the radiation from Fukushima. TRUE

That statement is one I can agree with, it makes logical sense that the radiological effects from a nuclide would be less.

A cup full of radionuclides would give off a significant amount of radiation compared to that same cup poured in an ocean because of the dispersal of the radionuclides. The radionuclides individually are still giving off the same amount of radiation, but the effects of the radiation would be diluted by the enormous amount of water.

Can you dilute radiation? NO

Can you dilute the effects from that same radiation? YES

Fukushima is generating radionuclides every single second of every single day and will continue to do so for a long long time. Every one of those radionuclides will stay here til it decays.

Soooo should you be concerned about the radiation from Fukushima??

Absolutely!!!

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

A most informative, excellent summary! Thank you.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I like to think of it like this:

Misery loves company.

1 single radionuclide isn't much to worry about, they are all around us.

But when Misery decides to throw a party and 10,000 of his buddies show up, then the radiation levels start to go up.

But I still do not want that 1 radionuclide of Strontium 90 anywhere near me or in me.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wish I'd found this sooner, would have saved you all that explaining about radiation.Is an excellent and informative summary from NOAA documents:

www.youtube.com...

Steven Starr, University of Missouri, Fukushima Gov't Lies, Deceit and Death

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

wishes
Wish I'd found this sooner, would have saved you all that explaining about radiation.Is an excellent and informative summary from NOAA documents:

www.youtube.com...

Steven Starr, University of Missouri, Fukushima Gov't Lies, Deceit and Death

there is a lot of information in that video, but if you tried to use it to back up your claims, the pro nukers would just dismiss it.

Well that didn't take long lol
edit on 19-1-2014 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Only 1000 Days left to kill 140.000.000 Japanese!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Human0815

Only 1000 Days left to kill 140.000.000 Japanese!

like I said, there's a lot of information... most of what he he discussed about the process of how radiation works was exactly the way it works. I see that you didn't watch the video, it doesn't say that in the video at all I was aware of..... it's a shame that the guy that posted the video had to use the title

JAPAN, 140 MILLION DEAD WITHIN 5 YEARS
.... That's just plain stupid...I don't think there even are that many people in Japan.

Try actually watching the video... it's not the guy who posted it and it has some good information.

EDIT: I just watched the video again, and nowhere does the guy say that or is it on any of the slides. I actually pretty much agree with everything that the guy says..... its better to just listen to it and not watch the video.... the slides are not in sync with the guy talking.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it has found water pouring into a drain inside the number 3 reactor building. Tokyo Electric Power Company says it is yet to determine where the water comes from, or how much radioactive material it contains.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Fukushima...the gift that keeps on giving!!!

I am really beginning to wonder how much radioactive water is leaking from Fukushima...... My money is on the bet that it's a a lot higher than 300-400 tons a day.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Things you need to know about Cesium since it’s the most commonly mentioned radionuclide when talking about Fukushima.

Cesium Facts:

Caesium or cesium[note 1] is a chemical element with symbol Cs and atomic number 55. It is a soft, silvery-gold alkali metal with a melting point of 28 °C (82 °F), which makes it one of only five elemental metals that are liquid at or near room temperature.[note 2] Caesium is an alkali metal and has physical and chemical properties similar to those of rubidium and potassium. The metal is extremely reactive and pyrophoric, reacting with water even at −116 °C (−177 °F). It is the least electronegative element with a stable isotope, caesium-133. Caesium is mined mostly from pollucite, while the radioisotopes, especially caesium-137, a fission product, are extracted from waste produced by nuclear reactors.

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> en.wikipedia.org...

Cesium is one nasty little radionuclide, it can travel far distances if released in the atmosphere and unfortunately most cesium compounds mix very easily with water.

The fact that it is water soluble is something pro nuke people like to promote in their attempts to tell you that Fukushima radiation will be diluted by the ocean. This is because they know 99% of people don’t realize radiation is nothing but an unstable atom and that atoms can’t be diluted by water.

It really sounds good until you look at the facts.

Cesium doesn’t technically mix with water…. It reacts violently with cold water and creates chemical compounds like Cesium Hydroxide…. which is still radioactive. You have to remember we are talking about unstable atoms aka radionuclides. Cesium Hydroxide is simply a cesium atom and a hydroxide ion. The cesium atom is still there…… just as strong as the day it was created. So no matter what chemical compound is formed by cesium, if its first name is cesium, then it has a cesium atom in it and it is radioactive.

Cesium hydroxide, Cesium phosphate, Cesium Chloride, etc.

Cesium has a half-life of 30 years and takes about 190 years to completely disappear due to its decay chain.

Since it has similar properties to Potassium, its banana time!!!

Pro nukers will almost always at some point bring up bananas and the fact that bananas have potassium radionuclides in them. While this is true, they like to leave out some convenient facts that they would prefer you didn’t become aware of. 1 gram of cesium contains 10,000,000 times the radiation of a banana. I myself would prefer to take my chances with the banana.

The amount of cesium contamination is also the basis for the guidelines which determine what will become an exclusion zone after an accidental release. It takes very little cesium in the environment to make it uninhabitable by humans. That same 1 gram above spread into the atmosphere would make a fairly large chunk of real estate unsafe for decades.

Don’t get me wrong, Cesium has some extremely valuable uses in medicine and with some of the chemical compounds created with it, it’s just that running around buck wild in nature isn’t one them.

Just the facts, mam, just the facts!!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Do you use some of your valuable Time to study ALPS?

(The Water System in Fukushima)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Human0815

Do you use some of your valuable Time to study ALPS?

(The Water System in Fukushima)

No sir I haven't (I will look at it when I have more time). Right now I am only trying to educate people about radiation and Fukushima. I know where your headed with that so lets just both agree to say that as the situation at Fukushima is as of today Jan. 19, 2014 that there is too much of an unknown amount of radioactive ground water going into the Pacific Ocean on a daily basis. I believe that is a fair statement. Water filtration, if that is what ALPS is, is a mute point when it comes to uncontrolled leakage.

I try to use as much scientific logic as I can when I look things. Right now, logic dictates to me that the primary focus at Fukushima should be to stop any current leakage (containment) before you even begin to think about filtering out the radiation. Once you have filtered out as much radiation as you can, then what do you do with the filters? Bury them somewhere for centuries? That's why Tepco is having so many problems... for everything they try to fix, something else pops up.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
With recent history, why in the hell did Japan build nuclear reactors? Why not alternatives like wind farms, generate energy from the waves etc. In a earth quake zone it just stupidity waiting to happen. And who suffers the average joe on the street.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join