It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mock Mars Mission taking a Spacewalk on an ancient ocean floor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

JadeStar

drneville
Mission to mars, yeah right...
A moon base can't be accomplished, let's send one to mars

Moon base could be accomplished but there would be little scientific value in that compared to Mars. Also there is a perpetual "Been to the moon, why go again?" idea among the general public.

when it comes to learning to adapt and survive on another planet, wouldn't the moon be a better place than Utah? The cost would definitely be far less than going all the way to mars... it just seems like the moon would be a logical "stepping stone."

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

SeeEm

JadeStar

drneville
Mission to mars, yeah right...
A moon base can't be accomplished, let's send one to mars

Moon base could be accomplished but there would be little scientific value in that compared to Mars. Also there is a perpetual "Been to the moon, why go again?" idea among the general public.

when it comes to learning to adapt and survive on another planet, wouldn't the moon be a better place than Utah? The cost would definitely be far less than going all the way to mars... it just seems like the moon would be a logical "stepping stone."

Only if people want to pay for it. See the "been there done that" mindset I refererenced. Most of the public would look at the moon as a destination not a training ground and say, "WTH why would i want my taxes to go up to go back to somewhere we've already been?"

No bucks, no buck rogers.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

allenidaho

Unless resources of some kind are found and can be exploited, why go?

And they have all over the solar system.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

revolutionaryawareness
reply to post by allenidaho

I'm going to say this because this is a conspiracy forum. Mars is fake. Everything about space is fake. We build rockets, send them up and they go no where. They are GPS quided to a crash site in the ocean. The moon is a futuristic luminous projection while the sun is a light created by a much more advanced specie/human race. It shines bright enough to give heat and grow life. The stars are fake. Beyond our atmosphere is not infinite dark space and floating planets. Let alone a moon we supposedly sent astronauts to just to play golf and bounce around with a flag on. Bottom line. There is no Mars. They are training for Mars because people will actually believe it. Until all out anarchy occurs when all truths are revealed. Then it will truly be "Star Wars".

I think we have a flat earther people

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If we went back to the Moon instead of Mars, that would be much more economically feasible. It wouldn't really do as much to advance human space exploration but it would advance our way of life.

The Moon is much closer to Earth and is resource rich. Millions of years worth of asteroids are caught in that rock and are ripe for the picking.
Helium-3 found in the lunar dirt could be the answer to our energy needs for the next few centuries.

We could much more easily afford to build lunar colonies and ship precious metals back to Earth.

You send folks to Mars, there is no way anybody would want to foot the bill to send supplies out or resources back.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

allenidaho
If we went back to the Moon instead of Mars, that would be much more economically feasible. It wouldn't really do as much to advance human space exploration but it would advance our way of life.

The Moon is much closer to Earth and is resource rich. Millions of years worth of asteroids are caught in that rock and are ripe for the picking.
Helium-3 found in the lunar dirt could be the answer to our energy needs for the next few centuries.

We could much more easily afford to build lunar colonies and ship precious metals back to Earth.

You send folks to Mars, there is no way anybody would want to foot the bill to send supplies out or resources back.

Built two of Buzz Aldrin's cyclers and it becomes a as simple as offloading a cargo container from a container ship and much cheaper.

BTW: Almost no one talks about exploiting the moon's metals for use on Earth. It's to use them to build other stuff in SPACE.

Shipping anything back from the moon would cost more than just mining it on Earth. Helium-3 is the exception but as yet we have no earthly use for that.

You saw how much Newt Gingrich was laughed at when he said we should return to the moon and build a moon base. People acted like he was telling them the moon was made out of green cheese.

Mars for many reasons (it's similarity to Earth certainly plays a role) is a much more compelling target. Over 1 billion people worldwide watched Curiosity land on Mars. How many do you think watched Yutu land on the moon outside of China?

I support a return to the moon. I'd love for us to put a radio telescope and a Visual/Infrared/Ultraviolet telescope on the back side of the moon. I'd love us to start mining and stockpiling H3 and metals which can be used to build other stuff.

I also know that I am in a small minority of people who recognize the usefulness of the moon.

Mars captures the imagination of many more people than us science oriented folks and has since the days of Percival Lowell.

So instead of arguing over where we should go next as has been done since the end of Apollo (all while accomplishing little in terms of manned exploration beyond LEO) we should just say, "let's just go to Mars, private industry is going to the moon anyway." and get on with it.

edit on 14-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

I would say it will help the selected candidates get a feel for a very different atmosphere. Being above ground all of your life is one thing, the same as being in the same country or on the same continent is- but to leave this familiarity alltogether helps in the adjustment. These brave volunteers are going to Mars, and I would love to know that they will be prepared in the best of ways.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join