It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City-sized glacial collapse caught on film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

While shooting a tongue of glacier that has receded as much in the past ten years as in the previous 100, they stumbled into filming the largest glacier calving that has ever been captured on film. This is not a time-lapse, but instead a city-sized section of glacier falling into the sea in little over an hour:

Link to source article

This happened about a year ago. Im not in the whole global warming scare crowd; and know in the end I don't have control of nothing on this planet and just here to observe and live my life.. But this video blew my #ing mind

edit on 13-1-2014 by SecTownKid because: To correct false location of footage. Video was shot in GREENLAND, not Canadian Rockies, which doesn't make sense anyway

edit on 13-1-2014 by SecTownKid because: To fix link

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SecTownKid

Im not in the whole global warming scare crowd

Gave you a flag but no star for you because of that statement. Because people continue to state that the sky is not falling it does not signify it isn't make up your own mind and avoid the pear pressure and the politically correct spiel. All evidence point to the fact that we should be scared, just look to what he states in the end of the video...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What an amazing capture !
Pretty scary though.........

link   
That was 2008..."Chasing Ice" Documentary. Greenland.

Cool footage.

Is this the one you are referring to?

Peace

edit on 13-1-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

link   

If you think that's bad you should see my wife throw a temper-tantrum.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Ok I live in BC Canada.... The OP says that the Glacier calved into the sea then at the bottom it says that it happened in the Canadian rockies.....

Am I the only person who took Geography in school?? There is no Sea by the Canadian Rockies, It is inland between British Columbia and Alberta... There is no Sea there.

Could it have been the cascade mountain range? because that one is near the ocean.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

snypwsd

Ok I live in BC Canada.... The OP says that the Glacier calved into the sea then at the bottom it says that it happened in the Canadian rockies.....

Am I the only person who took Geography in school?? There is no Sea by the Canadian Rockies, It is inland between British Columbia and Alberta... There is no Sea there.

Could it have been the cascade mountain range? because that one is near the ocean.

Haha you're not the only one who took Geography. That part didn't make sense to me either.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Oh #! Now I feel like a dumbass. I must have interpreted it wrong in the article. I'm raised in southwest USA in the high desert and don't know much about Canada geography, except your mountains are extra sick up there. sorry for the bad info brotha!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
After seeing your edit that it's actually in GREENLAND.. I don't just feel like a dumbass, I am a dumbass.

reply to post by jude11

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Watching that made me thirsty for ice water.

Remember, global warming can also cause global cooling.

lol

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

SecTownKid
After seeing your edit that it's actually in GREENLAND.. I don't just feel like a dumbass, I am a dumbass.

reply to post by jude11

I took a shot that was the one you were referring to.

BW...Who isn't a Dumbass every once in awhile?

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Don't be so hard on yourself. lol We can all be dumb asses at times. lol

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Its all good, we are all human aren't we? We all make mistakes from time to time. I just saw that and had to point it out.

Other then that, thanks for the thread! I loved the vid.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

The OP is wrong in the assumption that this particular film happened in the Canadian Rockies.

This was actually filming that took place at the Ilulissat glacier in Greenland captured in 2012.

From the OP's link:

Recently, a team of photographers in Greenland captured something that defies all our previous assumptions about geologic change.

While shooting a tongue of glacier that has receded as much in the past ten years as in the previous 100, they stumbled into filming the largest glacier calving that has ever been captured on film. This is not a time-lapse, but instead a city-sized section of glacier falling into the sea in little over an hour:

If you google the popular Chasing Ice documentary, you'll see that this particular calving (which is the largest ever recorded) did not happen in Canada, but Greenland.

The OP's source is just a heli-ski blog talking about the Rockies and receding glaciers.... and then goes on to say the above about the direct video below it.

Just a simple mistake made by the OP.

No big deal.

ETA: Dang. Looks like you guys beat me to it while I was busy typing out my response and googling this documentary to find out exactly where it happened.

edit on 13-1-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Chasing Ice is a fantastic documentary that show clearly both the shrinking of the ice but mans involvement in it. Of course there is not a denier out there that would bother to watch it. Kinda hard to argue with the effect of man soot when it is plain as the nose on ones face.

I thought I posted about this documentary months ago. I forget though as the Climate Change deniers took over the thread.....

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Did you see the UFO(unidentified freezing object) pop out of the ice at 1:50, crazy!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

It's alright man, I'd much rather be up here in the high desert.

I wonder if your desert is higher than mine?

Nice vid.

top topics

join