It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BMW M235i autonomous driving technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here we are and I thought it would take awhile before autonmous driving systems would be far ahead . But it seems that BMW has this technology fully under control .

BMW has revealed a new autonomous driving assistant system that is capable of operating a car in a range of different driving situations -- even sending it into a wild oversteer drift on a circuit without any prompting or input from the driver. It's all part of a host of new technologies shown by the German car maker at this week's International CES

Autoweek

Amazing...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Cool. (especially the slide control at the end of the first vid) =But I don't see a time when these things will ever drive themselves.
-Not because the tech doesn't work, but think about this.
Right now if you get into an accident the fault is either yours or the other guys.

As soon as there is ONE death due to a "dirty sensor" it's game over. It's no longer you or I, It's the car manufacturer that will be to blame.
The insurance game changes. Big time.
They'll be too scared about huge law suits/paying peoples insurance claims.
My opinion, s/f
edit on 13-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I can see the future of traffic stops in that car now:

Officer: Sir I need to see your DL, insurance and registration. You are getting a ticket for reckless driving.

Motorist: Officer, It was not my fault. The cars autopilot kicked in and for some reason precieved a need to drift that on ramp.

Officer: Oh, I see it's the new M235i. You are free to go, but I am gonna have to impound the car as it's the responsible party.

Car: Like hell you will.

Fade to screeching tires and sirens.........................
edit on 13-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I never thought about that , but you're right about that. But airplanes they are autonomous in many cases? I do think it's only saver to have your car being in some kind of assistant. But I see they have to many problems to get this past all the regulations I guess .

But what you say doesn't been applied to autonomous parking systems in someway those are the same too? there are cars using it already?
edit on 0b25America/ChicagoMon, 13 Jan 2014 16:54:25 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 13 Jan 2014 16:54:25 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Does it drive like an a**hole like most BMW drivers? LOL

Come on, you were thinkin it...

In all seriousness, I was thinking what Canuck said - I have doubts that we'll see a truly "autonomous" car for quite a while.

edit on 13-1-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ScientiaFortisDefendit

That's why they want to put in this system to get rid of those drivers they get the non drifting speed limited hands of the wheel version, and sell the non autonomous too normal people , because it's really a great car.

edit on 0b00America/ChicagoMon, 13 Jan 2014 16:39:00 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 13 Jan 2014 16:39:00 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ScientiaFortisDefendit

Q: Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
A: A porcupine wears it's prick on the outside.......

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Long trips in your glorious BMW M325i just would not be the same. It will be definitely something different from others.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
A BMW that drives itself. What's even the point?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
With power output of 235 kW (320 hp) turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine, dynamic braking system, which can improve the surface pressure of the tail, M sports chassis, and more equipment, BMW M235i always one step ahead.High Performance BMW Racing Parts,Engine Parts,Tuning Parts

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Still waiting for self driving cars...I thought that's what auto-mobile means.

new topics

top topics

join