It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India defeats polio, global eradication efforts advance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

www.nst.com.my...

India marks three years since its last reported polio case on Monday, meaning it will soon be certified as having defeated the ancient scourge in a huge advance for global eradication efforts.

The country's success was built on a huge vaccination programme that began in the mid-1990s with the backing of the central government and a coalition of charities, private donors, and UN agencies.

An army of more than two million vaccinators, backed by local religious and community leaders, canvassed villages, slums, train stations and public gatherings in even the most remote parts of the country.

One down...few more to go

edit on 13-1-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Polio was almost gone forever... Almost.

Then a certain population segment decided that, in their world, any effort to finish the sucker off for good was evil and carried ill intent ...and so Pakistan is now the defacto center for modern suffering with Polio. I've been watching that develop for a year or so now and it's one of those "please tell me this is a nightmare" moments to watch develop.

Global Disease Incidents

Ctrl-F that page for Polio to find it in quick reference. Only one nation in the world still reports new, active and ongoing cases on anything like a regular basis ...and only one small region of that one nation, too.

Here is hoping it can die for good, like Smallpox (in theory).

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by maddy21

Polio was almost gone forever... Almost.

Then a certain population segment decided that, in their world, any effort to finish the sucker off for good was evil and carried ill intent ...and so Pakistan is now the defacto center for modern suffering with Polio. I've been watching that develop for a year or so now and it's one of those "please tell me this is a nightmare" moments to watch develop.

Global Disease Incidents

Ctrl-F that page for Polio to find it in quick reference. Only one nation in the world still reports new, active and ongoing cases on anything like a regular basis ...and only one small region of that one nation, too.

Here is hoping it can die for good, like Smallpox (in theory).

OH yes...there are also polio cases popping out in Syria( i believe from Alquida recruits from Pakistan) ..

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I may take some flak for this, but IMHO, polio will never be eliminated until the live/attenuated vaccines are abandoned in favor of killed virus vaccines. Live virus vaccines tend to mutate, especially in hot-climate areas, leading to vaccination-induced polio. I first read of this back in the 1970's, when Cuba gave out vaccines in Central America, and polio resulted. I suspect the Indian "eradication" involves ignoring the vaccine-induced cases of polio, of which I have read elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Nigeria has more cases than Pakistan, its worrisome that in most of the other countries there is cases induced by vaccines

A list

another list

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

As a matter of fact, yes... WHO & Media reports I've been following have been indicating the Syrian cases quite possibly have Pakistani origin. I'll bet that isn't proven 100% certain either way for most though, given it's active combat zones in on both ends to investigate in.

Source: WHO: Polio cases confirmed in Syria

Something a bit more Pakistan specific is: North Waziristan termed epicentre of polio disease

@ Indigent

Thanks for the added context.. I hadn't meant to suggest Polio existed in only one nation, if I'd come across that way. Sadly, that isn't the case for recorded incidence. It's dropping though..and that's encouraging with only a few still known to have cases on any level and just one, as I've read anyway, still in an fully active state of a building an outbreak.

The site I generally follow tracks emerging and active biological events/outbreaks ..and Pakistan often sits alone on the Polio line these days.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
India and the SE Asia region of Who are declared Polio free

And pretty much all due to the oral vaccine. Sorry about that....NOT!

"This is a momentous victory for the millions of health workers who have worked with governments, nongovernmental organizations, civil society and international partners to eradicate polio from the Region. It is a sign of what we can bequeath our children when we work together," said Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, regional director for the WHO South-East Asia Region. The door-to-door campaigns that clinched the battle against polio can now be used in other vaccination programmes, she added.

Of course het potential problems with the oral vaccine ARE well known, and the injected vaccine is preferable for those reasons......but even the "failure" rate of het oral vaccine is massively better than not vaccinating at all!!

The polio-free tag, however, does not mean the end of polio vaccination. In fact, nations will now have to work towards introducing the injectable polio vaccine and the eventual phasing out of oral polio vaccines. "More than 120 countries currently use only OPV. These countries will introduce a dose of IPV by the end of 2015 as part of their commitment to the global polio endgame plan which aims to ensure a polio-free world by 2018," said the WHO press release.

new topics

top topics

join