It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten foods you should NEVER eat past their expiry date!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If you're anything like me you probably eat just about anything... Bread with a tiny bit of blue... Just rip it off and fill it with Stilton, no problem, cheap burgers that you're not meant to have rare, ahh go on, it'll be fine!

Truth is I myself never get poorly, not flu or colds and certainly nothing worse. I actually have Asthma, I've had it since I was a baby and although I do carry an inhaler I rarely need to use it!!! Maybe I'm lucky. One thing I do know is that I like to consume fresh fruit and veg, I love salads, I like to cook foods from scratch and do so at least a few times a week, I'm also obsessed with getting vitamins in me and spices such as turmeric and Cayenne aswel as the good old jalapeño which is full of vitamin c!

I stumbled across this article and thought I'd bring it to ATS for other health conscious individuals!!!

link to article

According to the article these ten foods should NOT be consumed once they are old... Let's see if I (and you) agree!

1. Raw eggs. Not keen myself I'll fry mine

2. Sliced deli meat. E coli and listeria are the danger here! Best to eat them on the way home from the shops then! No change there!

3. Mixed greens (salad) I do eat slightly slimey bagged salad with rocket and spinach in, so this one made me pause! I've never been I'll but I may take more care in future!

Ok I'm going to leave it there for now and let you go and explore the article at your own pace, if there's any that you agree or disagree with then feel free to contribute! Hurrah!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Give it the good old smell test.

If it smells like funk, it's bad...and not in a Parliament Funk Bad kinda way either...

Our noses were designed to do this for us for a reason.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

I generally don't eat raw eggs in the first place, but have no problem eating eggs a couple weeks or more past their expiration date if I am cooking them.

Who eats slimy/smushy/fuzzy produce in the first place? I'll such portions off of otherwise good produce and have never had a problem.

I eat deli meat more than a week old. If it smells off or has film or mold, or tastes nasty, I toss it.

I tear off bread from mold and eat the rest, as I do with hard cheese. I'll eat cream that has mold on it, but only after getting rid of the bad part and then tast testing a little bit.

Most raw meats I go by the smell and look test. I have had boiled shrimp that were getting a slight ammonia smell to them, but I washed them off well first. Had no problem.

People in the past and people in desperate straights eat some nasty stuff and survive. A lot of the first world has become a bunch of big babies about food. Generally the smell and taste test works. If something is off, I toss it. I've eaten some real old food, including condiments several years old and some dry lentils that were twenty years old -- cooked them of course, and they did take longer than usual to get soft.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

MrInquisitive

I generally don't eat raw eggs in the first place, but have no problem eating eggs a couple weeks or more past their expiration date if I am cooking them.

Who eats slimy/smushy/fuzzy produce in the first place? I'll cut such portions off of otherwise good produce and have never had a problem.

I eat deli meat more than a week old. If it smells off or has film or mold, or tastes nasty, I toss it.

I tear off bread from mold and eat the rest, as I do with hard cheese. I'll eat cream cheese that has mold on it, but only after getting rid of the bad part and then tast testing a little bit. I'd try eating any cheese after cutting off the nasty parts but taste test it.

Most raw meats I go by the smell and look test. I have had boiled shrimp that were getting a slight ammonia smell to them, but I washed them off well first. Had no problem.

People in the past and people in desperate straights eat some nasty stuff and survive. A lot of the first world has become a bunch of big babies about food. Generally the smell and taste test works. If something is off, I toss it. I've eaten some real old food, including condiments several years old and some dry lentils that were twenty years old -- cooked them of course, and they did take longer than usual to get soft.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

My years living in a freegan community taught me expiration dates and when food is actually spoiled are often not synonymous.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
bloated canned food, eat it and die

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

My years living in a freegan community taught me expiration dates and when food is actually spoiled are often not synonymous.

I completely agree, like someone said smell it and look at it and if its good to go its good to go! Simples!!
I think with the amount of food waste modern society creates its our duty to be conscientious of using what we have if we can, before buying more!!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
zap it in the microwave or simmer it for awhile
Those nasty bugs all die in the heat
Food might not taste to good but just add copious amounts of chilli.

All food is good if it is cooked properly, might taste a little off but chilli can hide that taste

Family recipe, chilli and cook it to death

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

borntowatch

All food is good if it is cooked properly, might taste a little off but chilli can hide that taste

The thing is the bacteria is not what poison you, most of the cases is a toxin released by the bacteria that kills you, and some times this toxins are heat resistant.

Bacterial food-borne illness

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

borntowatch

Don't count on the microwave to kill the deadly botulism bacterium. You must boil low-acid foods in an open kettle to kill it.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The forms of bacteria they test for in foods are common bacteria, these bacteria are usually not a problem if consumed moderately. If the food is old, the numbers increase and they can cause problems. Many times the aflotoxins created by these microbes can cause problems also. Some of the aflotoxins can be destroyed by cooking well, others cannot.

It is strange that little testing is done for the bad bacteria, they assume that the absence of some E-Coli and other non problematic markers means that the other bacteria can't grow either. This is a major problem in procedures. That is not science, it is an assumption.

I'm not worried about eating raw fresh eggs...eeewww. I eat cookie dough though, but try to use fresh eggs. The chance of getting food poisoning from a fresh egg is small. The chance of getting food poisoning from fresh produce is a lot worse.

Cheese getting old? I thought we have been eating cheese for thousands of years. It is formed from the chemicals produced by microbes. The older the cheese, the more free glutamates, that is more of a problem than anything. If the cheese smells and tastes all right, I eat it.

Meats, I would worry more about the way they raise the cow than the presence of bacteria on it. beef is resilient to microbes naturally if the cow is raised properly. They age beef and the bacteria will not attack healthy beef before the enzymes deteriorate it. It has to be processed right though, that is very important. People fear things they shouldn't. I eat hamburger raw on occasion to taste the spicing of it. I do buy organic grass fed aged beef though. It isn't processed in a big facility, the place processing it is local and clean. Although there is always some chance of contamination, I do not fear this meat.

Chicken has more of a virus problem than a bacteria problem. Cooking the chicken well is necessary to kill the viruses. I don't think undercooked chicken tastes good, I hate the pink taste in the thighs. A little onion and red pepper help to retain a little of the NAC that protects the cells....proper Nitrogen and sulfur levels is important, retaining the sulfide bond is important when overcooking.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm not worried about eating raw fresh eggs.

eggs can contain salmonella, be carefull

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

I read that one in like thirty thousand eggs can contain salmonella. Even if you do consume a bad one, the chances that you will die from it are slim.

They keep telling people to eat more salmon anyway. I like semolina in noodles too.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If France never ate foods past their expiration date, we'd never have gotten all those magnificent sauces ...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'll never eat food after my expiration date. Well, I suppose someone can stuff a hotdog down my throat in the coffin but I am not going to chew it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
well I learned something, so thanks for the thread and the replies.
I will be more careful.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

borntowatch

I can't stand microwaves. For New Years I threw mine out in the yard and let it sit there for a couple days to think about how bad it has been. It now is a mean dust collector in my garage

join