It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-government Protesters Paralyze Downtown Bangkok

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

BANGKOK — In Thailand’s capital, tens of thousands of anti-government protesters clogged key intersections, bridges and roads as part of a campaign to force the government from office ahead of February 2 elections. On the first day of the so-called “Bangkok Shutdown,” the enthusiastic crowds are making preparations for an extended standoff.

The commercial heart of downtown Bangkok was overrun by flag waving protesters starting Sunday evening, when organizers set up stages and sound systems at rally sites across the city.

Anti-government Protesters Paralyze Downtown Bangkok

Bangkok has a long history of unrest in the last decade or so, and so it continues. Largely dependent on tourism I doubt any of the places Farangs visit will see much of what's going on.

But it seems like it's been awhile since we saw government protests. Is it just me, or less threads on random countries erupting into protests? Or am I just missing the news… -_-

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Are the protesters just against the government, or are they trying to change the King too? Is this an anti-King crowd, or is that lineage above the fray and accepted by everyone?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by boncho

Are the protesters just against the government, or are they trying to change the King too? Is this an anti-King crowd, or is that lineage above the fray and accepted by everyone?

From what I remember from the coup in '06 is that a lot of people still respect and admire the King, the military is loyal to him and the elected governments are the opposition. Perhaps RT can put it better into words:

At the 'top level' there are two small, wealthy, and powerful groups contending with each other for power. One group we can loosely call ‘the King’s men’; the other we can call ‘the new money’.

The King’s men are, to a great extent, clustered around the King and his allies. Yes, Thailand has a king, and this king has tremendous social, political and economic power. Don't confuse him with royalty like Queen Elizabeth of England, whose power is largely ceremonial these days. The Thai king has real power – the kind possessed by kings in days of old, including power within the Thai military whose leaders’ first loyalty is arguably to him.

rt.com...

It's a little murky on who really is better for regular people, the king or the government. I suppose new vs. old is probably the best way to put it.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

OK. The only person I know in Thailand is in the King's peoples and the palaces circle, and I've heard nothing but good from that person about the present King and his allies, and their concern for their country and people. The structure of the groups demonstrating, those who oppose them, etc., is one I have no mental map of other than the word of a friend (who keeps away from the areas where the demonstrations occur, so I assume that there is a large buffer zone between them and any actual real power enclaves). Will watch this play out as the days move on, and hopefully it stays nonviolent although loud.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
First, the King is loved here, he is looked upon as a child would to their father. Not by everyone of course but easily 90% love him. The government that is in power now is a PTB gov. In other words Coporate whores. I see here in Thailand now what happened in Ireland 20 years ago. Times are good so the people have a few extra to spend, everybody is feeling good and buying up cars and houses on the never never.(loans). The tenticles of the banking cartel have set the bait, but wait, 90% of the Thai people see through the sharade, and they want out, or at least this bilderberg owned gov. out. The loyalty to there King and country is something the west can't understand. Read Tony Cartalucci articles here: landdestroyer.blogspot.com...-search-results
scroll down a bit for his latest. He has his finger on the pulse. Also read about the King of Thailand. King Rama 9. I guarantee you will be impressed.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is all fine and dandy but what I want to know more than anything is how it is affecting the sex trade there? Can you imagine all the hungry ho's?

Anyway that little gem aside I was offered a shot at a business in Thailand and now I know why the little bells were ringing like mad. I just hope it all stays fairly peaceful.

Oh and I have to add this, Damn extremist Muslims. You just can't take them anywhere.

new topics

top topics

join