It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Plans To Seize South China Sea Island From Philippines, Says "Battle Will Be Restricted"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Where China has the advantage is in terms of manpower and the will to throw it relentlessly into battle. They have way too many young men with no prospects for a future. What do you do with them? You use them and hope most of them don't come home to cause trouble when they realize they have no hope.

That's all well and good if you can get them to the destination that you are going to smash them endlessly at. How many ships does their navy have? Do they have the capability to transport them all? Last I heard, China cannot even arm all their soldiers, but that was awhile ago, so who knows now? Oh yea, while they are en route, how are they supposed to stop the inevitable missiles we can launch from fricking New York if we wanted that will bomb the ever living snot out of this fleet? If you think that Iraq or even Vietnam was any indication to the full power when our military flexes its muscles, you have another thing coming. We could probably do most of our damage to China's army without even deploying troops.
edit on 12-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

EA006

Just keep in mind if the dollar collapses, America hasn't got **it. You're being sold out as we speak.

If the dollar collapsed the entire world's economy would as well and China would collapse the very next day.

My understanding, from what I can pick up from various sources, is that the world's economy right now is so entertwined that if any of the world's major economies or a couple of the BRICs collapse, the entire world would be in some serious hurt.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

America did not get it's ass handed to them in Vietnam. Even the Vietnamese leadership themselves have stated such. But they did take along view on things and were willing to pay the price. That war had become to political to be sustainable in the US, for both sides of the aisle. I would suggest that you read some history.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
EA006:

Americans are young mate. They won't see what they don't want to.

They certainly seem to act with all the precocity of children. We have one claiming that the Chinese have no projection power, yet they can easily reach American cities with their nukes. They can certainly hit Japan. Then again, once the nukes fly, they fly from all nuclear-armed countries. Use them or lose them policy.

Historically, China has never been an all-out expansionist country, only regional, but they have grown into this oriental Leviathan of a dragon, capable of spitting fire and brimstone. Personally, I don't agree with China going after islands off the coast of the Philippines, but then as an Englishman, I have no room to speak while we still hold onto the Falklands.
edit on 12/1/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

They have the men to make it really ugly is all I'm saying.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

This is true, but we'd be able to flex our military long enough to get our war going. If it ran too long before resources started to dry up, we could quickly jump start war manufacturing in the states to supplant loss of resources spent on the war machine just like in WWII. In fact that is the REAL reason we got out of the Great Depression, certainly not the lie that it was the New Deal and all its social programs.

ETA (again my personal observations): The more I think about it, the more I almost see that the US government has everything to gain if China decided to attack the Philippines and we defended them. It's like a picture perfect snapshot of pre-Pearl Harbor. America would be stupid not to do anything. It's sad but it's true, and you better believe that every other country that supports us would be happy to jump into war machine manufacturing mode to jump start their own economies.
edit on 12-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

TDawgRex
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I was with you until you said "impossible".

No, I said all BUT impossible. Please feel free to read it again.

That means not impossible, just extremely improbable.

Ok, got it.

I must have missed that.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

It's not that they can't hit us with anything. I think what the poster in question was relying on was MAD. If they hit us with nukes, we hit them back unless they feel their cyberattack capability is enough to scramble our launch ability and keep us from counterattacking.

And then there is the added dimension of space weaponry. Do they have satellites that can knock missiles out of the sky? I doubt it. Do we? I don't know.
edit on 12-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

EA006

Explain.

How much of world trade do you think the US is responsible for?

Who patrols shipping lanes keeping them safe?

If you do not understand that the total collapse of the dollar would create a worldwide depression you don't understand how the global economy works. Nothing wrong with that .. but you should read up on it if you are going to post about it.

Now a smaller collapse than what you refer to may not be so disastrous, but the complete collapse of the dollar you postulated would mean worldwide depression.

link   
TDawgRex:

America did not get it's ass handed to them in Vietnam.

You got your ass handed to you...kicked out by the Vietcong. This happened after America dropped 7 million tons of ordinance on the Vietnamese. You dropped 2 million during world war 2. You lost over 58,000 troops, and over 5 million vietnamese, 4 million of which were civilians.

I would suggest that you read some history.

You know what you can do with your suggestion, do the same.

link   

ketsuko

They have the men to make it really ugly is all I'm saying.

True, but they gotta get a beachhead first. We've had FAR longer time to build up our navy as well as our border defenses. China only JUST modernized like 20 years ago. The Pacific Ocean is HUGE.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Agree with most of what you said there. Falklands are British how-ever. Argentina should leave them be. That's maybe a different thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

EA006
reply to post by Argyll

They can, but they won't. China takes one island, then another, then another. The U.S does nothing.
China has a strong military easily transported to the area. Boots on the ground. The U.S does nothing.
China flips off America.....you see where this is going.

China is an ant right now anywhere outside the Chinese mainland. They have zero force projection power and would be completely unable to land any boot anywhere without US allowance. In 15-20 years this might have changed, but right now China is more than happy to not spend money on force projection and allow the US to spend it's money ensuring the trade security China enjoys.

Well in truth if a battle did occur at first the air war would be costly but eventually id say a month the US would own the skies over China then its over. You can look at Iraq control the skies you control the country. Of course provided id stayed conventional

edit on 1/12/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

EA006

China 100% would never succeed in landing troops on our mainland, they have zero force projection powers. Zero. Look at their naval power compared to the US. China would also lose all the land they have purchased world wide as the US and it's allies simply took it all. China does not have any ability to defend this land.

Aren't there Chinese troops in Mexico?

I'm sorry what US naval blockade did those troops have to go through? Moving peacetime troops has what to do with trying to move several hundred thousand troops to the US? Unless you think a few troops in Mexico (who would attack the Chinese troops for us most likely) are going to invade the US I fail to see your point.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I'm well aware of how it works. I asked you to explain.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Power projection is graet and all that. But there is a saying...

"Until you have some one standing on the ground, holding a rifle in his hands and waving the flag, you don't own it."

Lobbing missiles at each other really doesn't help when you are looking for resources. And trying to exploit them.

And isn't their some Natural resources around the Falklands as well? I would think THAT is why the UK wants to keep them. I mean why would you go to war over a bunch of farmers and sheepherders?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Well, we've got the same problem in reverse, and I just don't see the American people backing a war in China.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

ketsuko

OccamsRazor04

EA006

Just keep in mind if the dollar collapses, America hasn't got **it. You're being sold out as we speak.

If the dollar collapsed the entire world's economy would as well and China would collapse the very next day.

My understanding, from what I can pick up from various sources, is that the world's economy right now is so entertwined that if any of the world's major economies or a couple of the BRICs collapse, the entire world would be in some serious hurt.

Correct. Of course this is dependant on what you mean by "collapse". A 5% or 10% devaluation could be called a collapse. 20% could probably be absorbed. A 40% drop would be disastrous. Similarly if Europe had a 40% drop the US would be in serious trouble.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
dragonridr:

...the US would own the skies over China...

The air war would be fought over the Philippines, not China. You attack mainland China at your peril. The problem with Americans is that they have access to computers by which they are able to display their innate stupidity for the whole world to see.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

EA006

China 100% would never succeed in landing troops on our mainland, they have zero force projection powers. Zero. Look at their naval power compared to the US. China would also lose all the land they have purchased world wide as the US and it's allies simply took it all. China does not have any ability to defend this land.

Aren't there Chinese troops in Mexico?

I'm sorry what US naval blockade did those troops have to go through? Moving peacetime troops has what to do with trying to move several hundred thousand troops to the US? Unless you think a few troops in Mexico (who would attack the Chinese troops for us most likely) are going to invade the US I fail to see your point.

Yawn, they didn't bring anything with them?. Just a bunch of troops?
America *uck yeah
edit on 12-1-2014 by EA006 because: Manners

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join