It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Ever happened to Zach De La Rocha?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is a thread about the former frontman of Rage Against The Machine, Zach de la Rocha. Just listening to RATM and how was he able to become invisible. I know he is still alive, but he was a VOICE! He wasn't really radio friendly, but he talks about the same talk that ATS is all about, except that he was 20 years ago. I had the good fortune to see these guys live when I was just a teen. I wish I knew the message at the time. If you listen to the music, the words... Zach wrote that himself. He was ahead of his time. It probably doesn't hurt to have one of the best guitarists of all time at your back. Their drummer wasn't too shabby either. Nonetheless, the message is even more pertinent today. IMHO the dude is a FREAKING GENIUS!

So I'll throw out the bs wiki bio...
Zach de la Rocha

I read in a magazine, I forget which and it was like 10 years ago, that he had joined some kind of freedom fighting unit. Down in Guatemala? I don't know. The guy is practicing what he preaches from most accounts.

He helped alot on that Leonard Peltier guy.Leonard Peltier

Guys get raw deals. Now when we talk about musicians, we normally don't expect a socially concience reality theorist. We sort of expect pop drivel nowadays. That said, I would like some help delving further into this man's legacy. It wouldn't surprise me if he was black ops for some other unit. See him on stage and you would know what I'm talking about. Also, he could rhyme and spit # like nobody else. You could actually hear his words. On purpose.

Magnum opus. a must for all disaffected youth.

Still, I hope ATSers will help out. Dude's message shouldn't die. I want to look for more obscure references, but my puter fudges up when I go that far. I'll try though.

Musician-activist de la Rocha also launched an organization called Sound Strike in 2010. The organization encourages musicians to boycott Arizona in light of the state’s controversial legislation targeting undocumented immigrants. In a Huffington Post piece, de la Rocha and Salvador Reza said of the strike:

“The human impact of what is happening to immigrants and their families in Arizona calls into question the same moral and ethical imperatives that the civil rights movement did. Are we all equal before the law? To what extent can states and local law enforcement officers engage in human and civil rights violations against an ethnic group that has been completely vilified in the eyes of the white political majority?”

edit on 12-1-2014 by dfens because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2014 by dfens because: I don't know

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

His lyrics are what originally pushed me to ask the right questions about society and our governments before hitting my teenage years. I just hope every generation has a Rage Against The Machine to make them think beyond the lyrics in pop songs.

It makes me happy to see a thread on him on a website where he surely belongs.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
RAtM played shows as recently as 2010 including this pretty interesting story where they played a free show because one of their songs, 17 year old Killing In the Name Of, became the top pop song in the UK .

Everything I read says they will a concert in LA in 2014.

Zach was the singer in a sXe/HC band prior to RAtM called Inside Out on Revelations Records. Check them out if you get the chance..

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3112ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3112ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Dude, you're not alone. I think people forgot about it. A nice reminder helps every now and then. If you don't like it... Man... there is just too much if you like music to not like a piece.

Rage is the one that helps you question. So far ahead.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

I love Rage, but One Day as a Lion was subpar at best.

I remember just cranking bulls on parade and blowing out my car speakers in the process. If that song doesn't get you pumped and make you wanna riot, I don't know what will.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

My favourite band of all time, I have not had the pleasure of one of their gigs, I am very jealous of you!

It would be nice to see him stand on a pedestal and talk some politics, a lot of people have respect for him, although I bet form one of his times in jail for protesting has him a court order about being involved in organised protests!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I'd vote for him easily. Tom Morello could be VP... Not sure if their politics match though. I still wonder if that rumor is true that he went to fight?...?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

I loved that band, and I agree the man has talent and conviction.

I wondered from time to time why they quit it right when they really broke through....and at the time metal being all I listened to, opened me up to rapping that I could understand the reason for.

I hope you find out, I'm very curious as well.

Cheers

So I googled him up with what ever happened to him in the title and it says he reformed a new rage against the machine in 2008 and is working on a new record....dunno did you see this info?
edit on 12-1-2014 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
One of the greatest bands ever assembled IMO.
And Tom Morello is a trip. Haha. He freaking shreds the guitar but looks like just a regular dude. Standing next to the other guys he looks way out of place. Haha

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
20 years ago RAtM and Fugazi were my blast till the car speakers nearly broke against "the man" music.

Good to hear as one of the posters above (OpethPA) said that RAtM is still playing the odd gig.
edit on 1/12/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: put in poster's name

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I grew up with Zack, and with Tim Commerford (Timmy C I guess he goes by now).
Zack lived in the student housing complex I lived in.
I can't say he gave any hint of being a "genius" as some here seem to feel he was, he was a normal kid (with blond frizzy hair).
Though it always seemed strange that he would grow up to rage against the machine, because in our group, he was the richest one. He went to the private school. Tim went to the same school as us, but he was from the other side of the tracks completely- from the rich part of town.

It makes we wonder sometimes, if only those who are of the other side, but get a glimpse, can speak out for the poor and oppressed, because the poor and oppressed lose all hope and drive, or have no idea life can be different.

But in any case, how long can a person scream out against the rich and powerful, while being rich and powerful...???
edit on 12-1-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
They tried to stop them in 2008 from taking the stage at the RNC. Little did they know you can't stop the Rage.

The video does contain some explicit language.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Exactly. Rage were great, but they WERE "The Man".
Zach is probably working for the NSA now.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Bluesma
I grew up with Zack, and with Tim Commerford (Timmy C I guess he goes by now).
Zack lived in the student housing complex I lived in.
I can't say he gave any hint of being a "genius" as some here seem to feel he was, he was a normal kid (with blond frizzy hair).
Though it always seemed strange that he would grow up to rage against the machine, because in our group, he was the richest one. He went to the private school. Tim went to the same school as us, but he was from the other side of the tracks completely- from the rich part of town.

It makes we wonder sometimes, if only those who are of the other side, but get a glimpse, can speak out for the poor and oppressed, because the poor and oppressed lose all hope and drive, or have no idea life can be different.

But in any case, how long can a person scream out against the rich and powerful, while being rich and powerful...???
edit on 12-1-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

I don't buy this at all. Zack with "blonde frizzy hair?"
Whatev. Pics or that ish didn't happen

ETA: and so what if it is true? Cuz a guy has a litle coin he can't speak truth to power?

Your post reeks of envy and marginalization and disinformation.
Good job
edit on 13-1-2014 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I don't know why I would lie about such a thing. Yes, Zack had blond hair back then. It was southern Ca. Just about everyone ends up with blond hair while young there.LOL! He was also very small, short and thin, and had braces for a very long time.
I don't have pics from that period of life, we were on our own and didn't have cameras. I can tell you exactly where it was and you can look it up yourself- it was in Irvine, he grew up in Verano Place, the student housing apartments of UCI. Tim lived in Turtle Rock, and went to Turtle Rock Elementary with us. (after, Rancho junior high, and University High School). In Elementary, Zack went to a private year-round school, of which I cannot remember the name.

But I find it hilarious that you would think a person would make up lies on such a meaningless thing!!

I went looking for an interview of Zack a while ago, curious on this, and watched him explain that he grew up in a world where the mexicans were manual workers, and housekeepers, only (that is true, they were all around us, but only in this capacity). He, being of half mexican blood, felt more intensely aware of that schism between his life and theirs. It spurred him to use a more critical eye of the society around him.
That shone some light on it for me. Still feels wierd for me, who saw him as one of "the lucky ones" to be shouting out against a system that was serving him and his family well.

Tim always used to ask me to draw him pictures of Wonder Woman. Years later he told me it was because they were sexy.

When we were really young and disco was the big thing, I do remember that the rec center would hold disco night every Saturday, and Zack never ever danced. He did, however, join the group of judges for the dance contest each time.

(Just to stir your paranoid suspicion a bit more, we also were with Will Farrell, who also had blond frizzy hair, but was very very tall, even in junior high! Muhahahahaha.....! Now I shall have everyone believing in blond frizzy hair and I shall take over the world! )
edit on 13-1-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Oh god. I can only imagine what it would be like to hang out with Will Farrell. Haha. Dude is a head case. But damn funny.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Love Rage, but man I hate it when musicians,actors,scientist,etc get some limelight and they ONLY blame one side of the political spectrum.
Both sides are at fault , but the political cheerleaders have the biggest fault of all for overlooking the obvious.

They overlook the TRUTH, our politicians on both sides have very little control of what regulations get written anymore since they are so dependent on the lobbyist monetary supply. There is a reason why the most consumer unfriendly and most hated industries are the largest lobbyist who have the largest profits.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
If you like the political messages of RATM's music -- check out the Flobots, they get really political

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The last thing I heard about Zach, was that he was at a Banksy exhibit buying an expensive piece.. That and One Day as a Lion with DJ Shadow. I think he just hates the spot light.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
His unique voice has been all over BBC 6 Music radio in the past month or two as he features on the new single by Deltron 3030, which is Del the Funky Homosapien's concept group / album based on conspiracy and sci-fi themes in the year 3030. Sounds good to me!

Check the promo for Melding of the Minds (obviously Explicit)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join