It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Moves to Approve "Agent Orange" GMO Seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

The US Department of Agriculture is leaning toward approving varieties of corn and soybean seeds that are genetically engineered to be resistant to several herbicides, including the controversial chemical known as 2,4-D. Dow Chemical developed the genetically engineered seeds with the brand name Enlist to address the growing problem of "superweeds" that have become resistant to Monsanto's Roundup herbicide. Roundup is widely used on genetically engineered crops, which are also known as genetically modified organisms, or GMOs. Dow claims that Enlist seeds will give farmers an important tool to fight weeds, but pesticide critics and independent researchers say that 2,4-D is linked to health problems. Fighting resistant weeds with tougher chemicals, critics say, is not a sustainable solution to the challenges of modern agriculture. Just before the start of the weekend January 3, 2014, the USDA released a draft environmental impact statement on the genetically engineered corn and soy seeds, which have been under a strict review since 2011 because of pressure from organic farmers and activists who are concerned about widespread use of 2,4-D. The USDA found that the GMO seeds do not pose a "plant pest risk," and the agency is expected to approve the seeds for general use.

Source: USDA Moves to Approve "Agent Orange" GMO Seeds

Since no one really knows how genetically engineered pollen from these plants interact with the eco-sphere, these plants whould not be allowed. Not withstanding the health effects of the tinkering of our food supplies genetics and it's effects biologically on both human and animal health. The earth is not a petri dish and humans are NOT guinea pigs!

Another troubling aspect to these particular seeds is that the pesticide named was used in agent orange.

Food safety activists and environmental activists call the GMO seeds "Agent Orange crops" because 2,4-D was a component of the notorious herbicide used by American forces during the Vietnam War that caused serious illnesses among veterans and the Vietnamese population. Industry proponents point out that Agent Orange's other ingredient, a chemical known as 2,4,5-T, was contaminated with dioxin and made the herbicide dangerous to human health. Meanwhile, 2,4-D has continued to be used in the United States and across the world.

Same source as above.

Some countries have banned this chemicals use like Norway Sweden, Denmark and some parts of Canada. These types of seeds would have to defeat these countries laws to be able to plant there.

It's no wonder there is that giant seed vault used to store every known seed on the planet. Then the same people on the other destroy everything that is natural. It just doesn't make sense to me.

We have the power in our free will and choice to do the right thing. But how many will?

This source refutes the findings and says it is false.

Agent Orange GMO? After USDA Backs 2,4-D Seeds, Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle Lead Activist Hype Of Discredited Link

Here is another link that confirms the use of the pesticide to be a danger to health based on previous tests.

USDA moves forward with herbicide-resistant “agent orange” GMO seeds

Here is another source that seems to give both sides of the story.

USDA Clears the Way for Corn, Soybeans Able to Withstand an Herbicide in Agent Orange

Safe? Should it be allowed? What do you people think on all GMO's and/or this specific new GMO seed?

I think these people are playing with fire and it'll end up we'll all get burned.
edit on famSun, 12 Jan 2014 11:44:25 -060001America/ChicagoSun, 12 Jan 2014 11:44:25 -060011America/Chicago1America/Chicago by FarmerGeneral because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Some 30+ years AFTER it deforested much of Vietnam, some of Cambodia/Laos with it

So now this will jump into native weeds, creating superweeds evenmoreso than roundup

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Let me advise all that 2,4-D is still widely used in the United states. A common brand name is crossbow. Many other brand names exist.2, 4-D products You can buy it at 90 percent of hardware/garden stores. It is a herbicide that kills woody stemmed plants. It is not very effective against grass and small weeds, roundup is preferable for these applications.

Brush can be a pain to eradicate sometimes so this 2,4-D in some areas only hope of preventing blackberry vine and similar infestations. Nasty stuff though, don't get it on your skin or breath the fumes.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfHart

I could see using this a spot treatment. But we are talking about soaking acres upon acres with this stuff. Is that wise?

Besides, being a bramble patch, don't blackberries bushes produce black berries? The edible kind?

Anyways there are even alternatives to spot treatment. Ever try that propane wand? It's like a min spot treatment flame thrower where you burn the bases of the plants out. Much safer as long as your not in a drought.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I have a deep interest in poisons and cases of food poisoning and I was looking up poisoned foods for research to do with another thread and Google threw up this thread during one of my searches!

I am bumping this thread so that I may return to it later on for research purposes to do with poisoned food!

[Woohoo Finally that is my 20th post
]

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
From your source:

Food safety activists and environmental activists call the GMO seeds "Agent Orange crops" because 2,4-D was a component of the notorious herbicide used by American forces during the Vietnam War that caused serious illnesses among veterans and the Vietnamese population. Industry proponents point out that Agent Orange's other ingredient, a chemical known as 2,4,5-T, was contaminated with dioxin and made the herbicide dangerous to human health. Meanwhile, 2,4-D has continued to be used in the United States and across the world.

"Food activists" calling the GMO seeds "Agent Orange crops" is nothing more than fear-mongering.

I think I'm going to start calling salt "chlorine powder" from now on.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Some 2,4-D had agent orange in it because it was made by a very cheap process for the US government.

This form was never planed by the chemical companies to be used on food crops. But the US military did anyway.

the US government lied to the chemical companies and the chemical companies gave samples to the government for testing before the 2,4-D agent orange contract was issued by the US government. The military did the testing.

The problem was 2,4-D was being made by a expensive batch process that was limited in the amount that could be made at the time. but this process did not make 2,4-D with agent orange in it. and this form of 2,4-D was tested by the FDA because/so it could be used on food crops.

The government pressured the chemical companies for more then they could make by this normal process.

The researchers at Monsanto found a cheaper way to make 2,4-D in a continuous process. but since they were told it was for military use did not send it to be tested by the FDA.

The military not knowing there was two grades of 2,4-D and thinking the FDA was testing all 2,4-D just checked the FDA tests to save money.

2,4,5-T was also made by this continuous process but never was made by the batch process.

Many types of agent orange use both chemical mixed tougher.
edit on 7-4-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join