It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Volcano That Spews BLUE Lava!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

I know, i know,...edited my answer already ;-)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Well.... ain't that something?

S+F

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Absolutely amazing! Glad you shared!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Indigent
Post a source please

nvm
edit on 12-1-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

another link

pretty s and f
edit on 12-1-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

If you all haven't had a look at the link Indigent posted, please go look now. There are around 30 pictures posted, and they are AWESOME!

Then go back to his post on page one, and give him a star. I think he deserves more than he has for sharing this with us.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

The pictures look a bit on the enhanced side, me thinks. 'Too perfect.' Retouched. I would like to see more natural-looking pictures.

P.S. For some odd reason, I LOVE watching hot lava flow when it's on TV.

-Back to football!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Amazing thanks for sharing sled735

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the blue coming from sulfur deposits. Sulfur actually burns with an orange-reddish kind of hue. However, my personal belief, (coming from years of chemistry hobby), is that there is a rarer chemical to make up for this color. I think that this blue-hue, actually comes from COBALT being present in the volcano...Or on the other hand, certain forms of naturally-occurring, Silver-alloys will give off a blue hue when oxidizing at certain temps.

But, this is just my thought, as I am sure that some of you main "detractors/de-railers" will dissent with my opinion.

Alas....I gives no FvCk

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

sdcigarpig
If memory serves me correctly, that is not just sulfur that is burning...

Naw, straight sulfur burning looks just like that. It's sort of a creepy dark blue.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

InCeNdIaDrAcOnIs
I think that this blue-hue, actually comes from COBALT being present in the volcano...

But, this is just my thought, as I am sure that some of you main "detractors/de-railers" will dissent with my opinion.

Alas....I gives no FvCk

Cobalt gives you a sparky blue color when you burn it. Sulfur burns just that color of blue in the photo.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Truthfully, I have never gotten sulfur to be able to oxidize in that shade of blue, unless I introduced some other form of element. So maybe, there is something else besides sulfur present in that volcano, to make it burn in that color??

Any thoughts????

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Amazing photography...and a brave soul too. Thanks for sharing haven't seen anything quite like this in a while

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

It's just burning sulfur that makes the blue flame and has
nothing to do with the lava!
Just like the color when you first light a match!
It just means the volcano is releasing an unusually high
content of sulfur!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
oh wow , blue lava, that is rare , yet beautiful . awesome pictures . would love to see it in person. which volcano is this? ( wish my enter key on this thing WORKED) its a conbanation of blue and red lava . but wow ,thats all i gotta say..

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by InCeNdIaDrAcOnIs

All I ever had to do was heat it in a metal spoon until it melted, then use a splint to light it. You need good ventilation though or the SO2 will give you a headache.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

So through the simple oxidization (fire) process, you were able to get the sulfur to burn blue? That makes me wonder, if perhaps the sulfur I was using, had some form of impurities in it or something. Because I could get orange-red flame, but that was about it.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing those pictures.
I have never seen that before nor would I have believed it until I saw it.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Flatfish
reply to post by sled735

F&S Great find!

I've been to Hawaii's volcano national park, (Kilauea) where I witnessed sulfur vents up close. I also hiked out onto the lava fields near Hilo to see and photograph the ongoing red hot lava flow into the ocean. On a different trip, my wife & I even rode mountain bikes down from the top of Haleakala on Maui, (6,500 ft. dormant volcano) where it was about 20 degrees and snow covered, 28 miles down to a sunny 80 degree beach, but I've never seen anything like this.

Blue lava? Just amazing!

Thanks posting here for all to see.

It sounds like you lead such an amazing life, please teach me how to live mine that way

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The photographer lost one camera and two lenses taking those photos, thanks to the toxic gasses.

Now for the worse part: There are people working there. Without gasmasks. Who pick up sulphur with their bare hands and transport them to the market in open baskets.

Thank you, global markets! Without you, those people wouldn't think about entering that nasty place. They might be doing other, potentially dangerous jobs, but this is a guaranteed killer!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by InCeNdIaDrAcOnIs

Yep. I have to melt it first to get it to light easily but just flame it and you get blue fire.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Hi fellow ATS members, it is worrisome so many comments in this thread denying that is molten sulfur what the picture shows, if you read the article in the dailymail you would see they only mention blue lava in the title, as the pictures are from a sulfur mine in the volcano (last eruption was around year 2000), the article is about the conditions in the mine.

The second link never mentions lava.

A quick search about the volcano will show you that its know for his sulfur mine and sulfuric acid lake.

Sulfur is available in pure form in nature, it is know from ages and you can check claims about it very easily, here is a picture about molten sulfur from wiki.

Dailymail is a questionable news source and their claims always should be checked, their article titles are always sensationalist.

ATS motto is deny ignorance, have a nice day.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join