It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Rebellious Republicans Derail 9/11 Reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Despite President Bush�s call for passage of reforms for the intelligence community, several Republicans were able to derail any possible deal and the matter never came to a vote. Despite a last minute effort by House Speaker Dennis Hastert to persuade the overhauls detracts within his own party, legislators went home without reaching a conclusion. Both president Bush and Vice President Cheney made call as well in an attempt to reach a compromise on the bill that would have created a powerful appointment that would oversee several intelligence agencies.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - In a defeat for President Bush, rebellious House Republicans on Saturday derailed legislation to overhaul the nation's intelligence agencies along lines recommended by the Sept. 11 commission.

"It's hard to reform. It's hard to make changes," said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., who sought unsuccessfully to persuade critics among the GOP rank and file to swing behind the measure.

Hastert's decision to send lawmakers home without a vote drew attacks from Democrats and capped an unpredictable day in which prospects for enactment of the measure seemed to grow, then diminish, almost by the hour. He left open the possibility of summoning lawmakers back in session early next month.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The battle seems to boil down to some legislators not wanting to take control away from the Pentagon. It pretty clear that despite the lessons learned on 911, that the agencies charged with protecting us still have huge issue communicating with each other. Add to that the rivalries for funding and the like and you have several self serving agencies looking out for themselves first and the American people second.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
"The battle seems to boil down to some legislators not wanting to take control away from the Pentagon. It pretty clear that despite the lessons learned on 911, that the agencies charged with protecting us still have huge issue communicating with each other. Add to that the rivalries for funding and the like and you have several self serving agencies looking out for themselves first and the American people second."

And it's pretty clear that you believe the solution is the total annexation of the Executive Branch into a dictatorship. Thank you for that. I now have an interest in knowing just whom it is that you think is going to better look out for the American people. Is it President Bush and his administration, and party, the majority of which share his agenda of capitalist greed and bigotry? There goes more than half the country they're already screwing over.

"Rebellious Republicans derail..."

My bull# alarm is going off the chain, guy. I'm glad you acknowledge that the Republican Party is a body of conformist sheep; it's ironic since you're Republican obviously, but it helps to emphasize the point that partisan rhetoric and opinions are inappropriate in a factual report.

How did this ever get onto the ATSNN feed?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I honsetly cannot make much sense of this.

The only thing I can think of is some excellent politcking on behalf of the white house. Publically endorsing while, haveing their people swat it down in mid vote.

Any one's Thoughts?

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
FredT I think that the taking of our country is on going as we speak now, we will move from a democratic republic to a totalitarian government.

Our governemnt is not longer for the people but for the ruling class in the congress.

People be afraid very afraid.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I find it funny that in a single posted comment you can find a statement like this...

Originally posted by spade
...partisan rhetoric and opinions are inappropriate...

and statements like this...

Is it President Bush and his administration, and party, the majority of which share his agenda of capitalist greed and bigotry? There goes more than half the country they're already screwing over.

My bull# alarm is going off the chain, guy. I'm glad you acknowledge that the Republican Party is a body of conformist sheep.

You're quite the objective observer yourself. I'm no Republican, but I know that the majority of all politicians (Rep and Dem) share an agenda of capitalist greed and bigotry no matter what they tell the voters around election time. Also, every time there's an election, somewhere around half of the country feels like they're getting screwed over.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
veritas, you got my point.

But now you look for connections where they don't exist? I am not Democratic. Show me where I state my allegiance to an opposing party. You cannot.

What is your political affiliation? Is it Republican?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
once again it goes wayyyyyyyy beyond rep and dem...it is about the system, the sytem of control and who is doing the control.

totalitarian : Designating a form of government in which one party exercises absolute control over all spheres of human life and opposition is outlawed.
republic: a country governed by the elected representatives of its people.

smoke and mirrors...smoke and mirrors......

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
"The President laid out a comprehensive and ambitious agenda for the nation in his State of the Union Address tonight. I pledge to work with the President to make this country a better and more secure place to live for all Americans." About the budget, "The President has challenged us to control spending and cut the budget deficit in half. The Congress needs to do all it can to meet that challenge."
www.cbsnews.com...

Look Hastert is in the House not the Club. The possibility exists he is sincere and thinks that by creating another centralized Buearocracy it will be expensive and the Pres challenged him to cut spending all the while knowing he was going to increase spending. The Pres wants to stop State spending and increase Federal spending only. [by the way did you know that Texas is on it's own modern electrical power grid and is not connected in anyway to the rest of the nation, that means that the entire nation could under go a blackout and The Bush Dynasty could still control all from Crawford, just a thought]
Thus the challenge.
Oh by the way there is only one Party in the Club, Oh I meant Senate, sorry about that.
l

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Senate showed once more why it's sometimes called the millionaires' club
www.cnn.com...

Continue onward in your foggy dream
Out of idle curiosity how many millionaires are there at ATS

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
once again it goes wayyyyyyyy beyond rep and dem...it is about the system, the sytem of control and who is doing the control.

totalitarian : Designating a form of government in which one party exercises absolute control over all spheres of human life and opposition is outlawed.
republic: a country governed by the elected representatives of its people.

smoke and mirrors...smoke and mirrors......

Who said it did not? I get the feeling you are defending Republicans. Don't tell me, you too are a Republican? Please prove me wrong on that. For your sake, I hope you are not that predictable. This way, you are easily manipulated and will become a victim of the system you fear.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
your feelings are wrong so don't reley on them...........
I get the feeling you are defending Democrates/Republicans. Don't tell me, you too are a Democrate/Republican? Please prove me wrong on that. For your sake, I hope you are not that predictable. This way, you are easily manipulated and will become a victim of the system you fear.

it does not matter who sits in the throne of the white house.....they are 2 sides of the same coin..it is the system...the sytem has been used to subvert that system...who knows if the recommendations of the 'objective' 9/11 panel would be good or bad or just add more control to those that want control......i of course edge to the later.
rep or dem..they are all the same..slaves to the corporate entities that run them and us.....yes i include me in that.....it hard to know your a fish stuck iin the fish bowl......

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have already made it clear that I'm neither Democratic or Republican. Now I feel like you're talking a lot and not listening at all.

What you're trying to say is that I don't see the similarities between the two. Is this right?

Now getting far off-topic, there are great ideological differences between Democrats and Republicans. Whether these differences are meant to be superficial or not is up for debate, but I'm not going to argue with you about NWO conspiracy theories and similar garbage. The system is flawed, and we live in the real world under the system, so what you need to do is something constructive besides ranting and reiterating tired points and crying doomsday in every political thread I see you in.

Why don't you support a third-party candidate or protest the war? Protest the current administration, perform community service, give to charities, clean up our streets, etc. How do you feel about doing these things?

You either are defending Republican politicians, or you are apathetic and avoidant of the problems you talk about. Is it that you feel helpless? Help me to understand.

You have also avoided my question: Do you consider yourself a Republican?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
hmmmmm.....i will attempt to stay on topic while answering questions. "WAR: Rebellious Republicans
Derail 9/11 Reform." they did seem to derail the vote but, why?? i don�t really know but i would think that it is part of the �great play�...smoke and mirrors...fake right and then head in straight. maybe the reps wanted more power control or mayby they thought that the recomondations would give to much control..or mayby those that are actually in power
were taking some time off for the holiday and didn�t care �cause they know they will have what they want in the end.

ANYBODY that has READ my other posts, or the threads i have started...which i will not link to this, would know where i stand on the issue of rep or dem.....to reitirate...it is all smoke and mirrors...that is politics today. the 2 party sytem is obsolete...we are told the choices
that we have and everybody goes....�uh..ok..i will vote for the lesser of two evils� i did not waste my vote..i never do ( there, i answered your ?)

i have seen other threads about possible infighting in the rep party..(they are the controling party now) ..maybe these rebellious reps are those that don�t want such a federalised govt?? who
knows....the sheeple certainly wont..................

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spade
veritas, you got my point.

But now you look for connections where they don't exist? I am not Democratic. Show me where I state my allegiance to an opposing party. You cannot.

What is your political affiliation? Is it Republican?

I clearly stated that I am not a Republican. There is little for me to be biased about, as I have no party. You attacked the Republican party alone with negative terms that could equally be applied to almost all politicians in all parties, and that's what I found humorous about your post. If you had chosen to insult the vast majority of the population here in the US, then I probably wouldn't have thought that your statements were also "partisan rhetoric".

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
You attacked the Republican party alone with negative terms that could equally be applied to almost all politicians in all parties, and that's what I found humorous about your post.

I attack the party as a whole in its concept and partyline. Individuals whom do not follow their parties' outlined agendas for reasons of personal motives do not apply. The Republicans I commented on do. If you don't think so, it shouldn't matter when I call Bush a Nazi and slander his name when this is not true (I do not believe this to be clear). How's this for one: Bush is a Green... I don't think so anyway.

Originally posted by veritas93
If you had chosen to insult the vast majority of the population here in the US, then I probably wouldn't have thought that your statements were also "partisan rhetoric".

I will provide the definition of "partisan" for clarification:

par�ti�san
Devoted to or biased in support of a party, group, or cause: partisan politics.

I say again: Show me where I state my allegiance to an opposing party.

I bet you probably surmise that I'm at least liberal, but even this I was never clear on. You make too many assumptions about my character. I gave trivial examples that were meant to show a cause/effect relationship, not to give opinions or to champion any specific cause. I made observations like you said, that's all.

---------------------------------------

the two of you,

The "vast majority" of the US population in fact do not agree with either Republican or Democratic. Unless you would call roughly 50% of the population a vast majority then by all means...

clearwater,

I feel sorry for you if you believe you're a sheep for the system. You still have independent thought. You discuss subjects openly of which I can't imagine the reptilians/M.I.B. are wanting you to. Be a little more optimistic.

top topics

join