It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm still a partisan hack, (or the left wing - right wing fallacy)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I'll admit it. I still argue. I still think progressives have more in common with Darth Vader than the human race.

I'm still partisan.

I've eased much in my educational journey. I've grown to understand many opinions. I fully believe that I have much to learn.

But compromise isn't disregarding your beliefs and adopting those of your political opponents.

Compromise, to be effective, has to come from both sides. Now I see that word, "Compromise" bandied about much.

But it's only coming from one side.

So kiddos on the left, if you want to see one more inch of "compromise" from this fuzzy little bunny, you better be bringing something to the table yourself!

Don't you DARE come out and DEMAND that conservatives need to compromise in order to get things done! The progressives, the leftists, the liberals need to start coughing up on some issues.

Unless you don't really want to compromise.

What's that word you guys want?

. . . . . oh yeah. . . . . surrender.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What I understand is divide & conquer is a part of the 'Art of War'. It seems one side always wants to influence the ignorant to hate this side because of x, y, and z. It appears to work, but I'm not falling for it.

Then again I'm all for the 1st amendment so speak your heart out. Your statements can't corrupt my mind.
edit on 11-1-2014 by qwerty12345 because: 1.6218

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

qwerty12345
What I understand is divide & conquer is a part of the 'Art of War'. It seems one side always wants to influence the ignorant to hate this side because of x, y, and z. It appears to work, but I'm not falling for it.

Then again I'm all for the 1st amendment so speak your heart out. Your statements can't corrupt my mind.
edit on 11-1-2014 by qwerty12345 because: 1.6218

The central concept of "compromise" is meeting in the middle.

The way it's done now, it's either "my way or the highway".

If we EVER have a chance against the idiot politicians in DC (both R&D) then we need to find common ground.

Not surrender.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm confused, isn't Darth Vader like the ultimate Neo-Con? Those are generally republicans (mostly.) Whenever I get into a left - right existensial cunundrum I look to the words of the great teachers:
    It is the world pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth
    - Morphious, The Matrix

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the left - right, progressive - conservative war (debate.)
There is only one way to overcome this:
    Never give up! Never surrender!
    - Commander Taggart, Galaxy Quest.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Neo-con.

I always thought a neo-con was a liberal who wanted war.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Bassago

Neo-con.

I always thought a neo-con was a liberal who wanted war.

Don't think so, supposedly some type of warmongering (neo) conservative. Like Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld. But there are definitely some dems who fall into this as well. Just look for the ones wanting to attack Iran.

The only true liberals are the Libertarians IMO.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Bassago

Um. . . . I consider myself a libertarian.

Now you're calling me a liberal?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

beezzer

Bassago

Um. . . . I consider myself a libertarian.

Now you're calling me a liberal?

Libertarians are inherently liberal. I am talking about truly liberal, not "progressive."

Do you believe in the right to do pretty much whatever you want as long as it doesn't negatively impact others? You're a libertarian liberal. It's a tag I proudly wear.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I think the term is "Classical Liberal" but yeah, I get your point.

And you are a good example of what I'm talking about.

I read your posts. I like your style.

I don't always agree, but then again, I don't always agree with my church, my wife, my family.

We don't have to agree on everything.

But we can appreciate where the thought comes from.
We can appreciate the basics for which the idea came forth.

"I can see where you're coming from, even though I don't agree."

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It's been a big problem for a long time now. The fact people refuse to compromise, and throw hissy fits. And that's on both sides of the coin.

Usually how it goes here in the U-S of A.

Whenever a lefty or righty finally compromises and things don't go according to plan, what happens? A big fat cry fest that's what.

And then of course things just get even more out of whack because they going around pointing fingers and praising themselves for being the "right" ones. Which usually results in a further divide, and refusal in future compromises.

Some people need to put their pride and beliefs aside once in awhile and get down to business. But unfortunately nothing is ever that easy, is it?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
No, there is another form of compromise according to Washington. It is found in the Ryan Budget deal among others.

It's the one where the leftists get most of what they want right away as granted by the deal while the other side gets some of what they want in 8 to 10 years ... you know, assuming the elected congresses of those far away years actually see fit to honor the terms of the deal, which they won't not being legally bound to do so.

You understand I think. These are the compromises we get when both sides actually like the terms that are granted right away but can't say so, and the one side has to have something they can take home to show their constituents in an attempt to convince enough of the dumber ones that "see? we're really fighting for you ..."

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Bassago

So Libertarians are considered left-wing in the U.S.? That's weird.
See, that's the thing with the left-right-conception... it isn't even uniformly defined across countries.
Misunderstandings in political debates are therefore almost inevitable. Another way to "divide & conquer".

OT:

I think there is nothing wrong with standing to ones values, whether those are "conservative" or "progressive" values.
If anything, I think most politicians could use more conscientiousness about their alleged purity of principles.
Compromise is important, yes, but its even more important to know (really know) where you stand.
edit on 11-1-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

So Libertarians are considered left-wing in the U.S.?

That's weird. See, that's the thing with the left-right-conception... it isn't even uniformly defined across countries. Misunderstandings in political debates are therefore almost inevitable. Another way to "divide & conquer".

No that's not what I said. Libertarians are true liberals, "progressives (left-wing)" are in no way true liberals. Actually they are much closer to central control, nanny state fascism in ideology. Almost identical to "conservatives (right-wing)" who claim to want smaller government but support mass spying on citizens, endless war and (yep) central government control.

Neither side really believes in the liberty, citizen and state rights our founding fathers built this country on. True freedom is anathema to both the left and the right political hacks of the US.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I thought about sleeping and then woke up from my H1N1 haze and had this thought. Most of us seem to have very strong opinions and as much as we'd like to consider ourselves partisan, we are fiercely human first, which doesn't usually make for good compromise. I identify more readily with lefty and try to keep my feelings civil, but it doesn't always work out. I' d say more accurately we are conformists, conform to our beliefs. If we try to stay civil I think headway can be made....Now do as I say

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm sorry if it bothers some but I am Right thinking and Right of center. I make no apologies for it and that's how I'll likely live the rest of my life ..quite content this way too. I know and am friends with Left leaning folks and I've even come to talk politics with them. We get along pretty well.

That's really started to happen more in the last year or so, I've noticed...for Left and Right people on Main street, at normal people level, willing to talk a bit and maybe even finding we *ALL* hate Democrats and Republicans equally. The whole trick of the show is, my side is supposed to hate the "Dems" while the left is supposed to hate the "Repubs" ...being told regularly that world view and political party are the same thing.

IMHO, they most certainly aren't. I'm right-leaning, yes indeed....and that's really not Political anymore, it's about world view. Personal Responsibility and Ethics above all, and things like that which are out of vogue here lately among some. They are punch lines to jokes among politicians, eh?

Left leaning folks have some pretty good points, as they see it too. I even agree on some. The middle can be found ... by non-politician types.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Reason #176 why I built a 20 foot wall of beer boxes along the North Dakota/Manitoba border:

To keep beezzer's partisan konservative germs from drifting over in this direction.

.... and I swear bunny boy....

If you even so much as attempt to drink any of that great Canadian beer to break your way through into the promised land, you're going to get a size 8 shoe rammed up where the carrots don't shine !

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Compromise? No longer I would hope. The country can no longer afford to compromise with "conservatives" and their "Fiscal responsibility"

Darth Vader progressives. my aren't you in reverse world. helping the poor, using diplomacy over wars, and not having toxic sludge in our waters (wonder how West Virginia is doing right now with their poisoned water supply due to removed regulations..-snickers-)...yeah, totally evil.

We should take on the "good" viewpoint of bombing anyone not waving the stars and stripes, starving the poor, showering the rich with gold, and letting megacorps dump their toxic waste into the water supply...

Conservatives simply don't give a crap. that's their MO. the planet is fine, God will fix everything, dog eat dog, etc...get a grip.

Besides, not sure why your moaning, as Boehner said, he got 98% of what he wanted...yay conservatives...glad everything is fixed now.
edit on 12-1-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
For me as an outsider observer it is clear Republicans are more of a cancer to USA than democrats

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Robert Gates just endorsed Hillary Clinton for president

:-)

I love objectivity, fairness - and the ability to compromise!

Or, is this not what you had in mind?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Spiramirabilis
reply to post by beezzer

Robert Gates just endorsed Hillary Clinton for president

:-)

I love objectivity, fairness - and the ability to compromise!

Or, is this not what you had in mind?

You are one of the few people on this site that I actually believe can compromise.

The old saying, "Conservatives believe that liberals are wrong, liberals think conservatives are evil" still holds true for so many others, however.

<<   2 >>

join