It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D-Printed Hubble Telescope Photos Help Blind Touch the Universe (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you're like me then you'll be grabbing for a tissue to wipe your eyes watching this video. Its wonderful to see the beauty of the sky brought down to earth to those who otherwise could never see it.

From a tech perspective it's cool to see two great things come together (Hubble and 3D printing).

WASHINGTON — The Hubble Space Telescope's gorgeous photos of the universe have acquired another dimension to help the blind experience the cosmos.

Astronomers with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore are using a 3D printer to turn Hubble images into textured pictures, opening up the wonders of the universe to people who are visually impaired. Hubble scientists released a video detailing the 3D-printed universe project after unveiling effort at the annual American Astronomical Society meeting here on Tuesday (Jan. 7).

"These 3D images make me feel great, because images of space objects were inaccessible and now all of a sudden they are accessible," Nijat Worley of Baltimore said late last year, at the National Federation of the Blind's state convention in Ocean City, Md.

Watch the video and continue reading more at: www.space.com...

edit on 11-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is amazing for them to be able to "feel" these images but at the same time they are not missing on a lot when it comes to the comprehension of the Universe by not being able to "see" them.

The magic of it all is not seeing the hubble deep field, microwave bacground or a star 45 light years away but understanding what it implies.

To know that the planck unit at 10-35 meters exist even though I will never be able to see it is already more than enough to put me at awe when thinking of the Universe. Same goes for the BHoles, Neutrino or whatever else phenomena I will never be able to look at directly.

Most people that look at a picture of nebulae, supernovae or galaxies still are completely clueless on what it truly means in the grand scale of things.
edit on 82014Saturdaypm131Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:05:51 -0600America/Chicagov05 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

new topics

join