It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Watch 2014

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

Thank you and I have one question for you, does the picture in my opening post with the insignificant interference glitch pass over or near your area? I captured that around 8:09 am EST today?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Those glitches on the radar screens are called Sun spikes. www.crh.noaa.gov... is one place you can see more about them.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

whatnext21

JadeStar
Anyone else here operate a meteor cam?

Like the ones in this website. Meteor Showers Live UK on their Home page? Do you have one JadeStar, would love to see what you capture here if you do?

Yes.

I have the standard NASA CAMS setup based on the Watec 902H Ultimate CCD. (Though I am not a member of CAMS). Mine is offline right now. It came down in a wind storm at my parents place so I have to wait for weather to get better before it can be put back up.

Here is a manual which shows anyone how to set up their own.cams.seti.org...

edit on 11-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. The links are helpful. The 14th is a very very busy day. Hope the sky's are clear down here. S&f for yinz!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Great post. Very informative OP and well presented.

Cheesy, I reckon they do know something. Nice pickup for this thread.

Bally

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
January 12, 2014 - from approx 16:30 to 17:55 pm EST. New pending reports for Conneticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Maine, Massechusetts. 232 Reports so far across 7 states. AMS - Pending Reports There is also one there for the same time for South Carolina. Now 235, they seem to be flowing in.

edit on 1/12/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

JadeStar
Anyone else here operate a meteor cam?

Ya got a few hit

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Time stamp at bottom left

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Here is Jupiter and the Moon

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Big bright one in london
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hey Whatnext..great thread. Hope it catches on because this is a very important subject in current events. There's no doubt that fireballs have dramatically increased over the last couple of years, especially in 2013. Over the course of a few posts, I'm going to submit some information that begs to differ with the folks who claim that all these fireballs are normal, don't believe that nonsense. Over the course of 60 years, there were only a handful of reports of space rocks actually crashing through a home, vehicle or striking an individual (that we know of) and in just the year 2013, there were four of these incidents alone and a several others that were unsubstantiated whether they were actually space rock...the verdict is still out on those ones. And there were a dozen other cases of people actually finding the space rocks after observing these exploding fireballs.

The AMS states that these significant events (observed by at least 25 people and then verified to be a meteor) usually only happen about four times a month. The month of September 2013 saw 13 of these events and all the events were witnessed by hundreds and thousands. This was from a story in the Chicago Tribune on September 27.

Significant events - defined as being reported by more than 25 people - usually happen three to five times in a month, Hankey said. While meteors fall to the earth all the time, he said, they usually go undetected as they are most easily seen during the middle of the night and because they often fall where there are no people - such as over oceans, deserts or remote parts of Wyoming. 
"For it to happen at rush hour in a densely populated area where there's millions of people on the road that have a capability of seeing it is pretty rare," Hankey said. "It's a special thing for someone who saw it, and they will probably never see it again for the rest of their lives." 

September was a very active month. For three days Sep. 19-21, Japan saw numerous fireballs with thousands of witnesses to each event, and then on Sep. 23, another massive fireball was witnessed across nine Midwestern states with over 500 reports to the AMS. This was a report from the AMS that appeared at Intellihub.com on Sep. 30

Reports of meteor sightings are coming into the American Meteor Society by the thousands. According to one of the latest reports posted at the American Meteor Society website, "Its been a busy week for the AMS as we are bombarded by fireball reports from all different parts of the country. The latest event took place over Alabama and Georgia last night September 28th 7:30 PM local time. Over 250 witnesses from Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama and Georgia have reported the event so far.
Exactly why these meteors are coming into the atmosphere at this time is unknown. NASA and NOAA have yet to publish any reports on this phenomenon, although they did confirm the September 10, 2013 meteor that streaked across the sky in Alabama in theguardian.com article 'Meteor enters atmosphere over Alabama and disintegrates, says Nasa'.An excerpt from the article reads, "Officials at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville say a baseball-size fragment of a comet entered Earth's atmosphere above Alabama at 8:18pm CDT Monday. Nasa officials say the meteor traveled at a speed of 76,000 mph. They say just three seconds after hitting the atmosphere, it disintegrated 25 miles above the central Alabama town of Woodstock, producing a flash of light. Nasa spokeswoman Janet Anderson says that because it penetrated so deep into Earth's atmosphere, eyewitnesses heard sonic booms."

I've been following this phenomenon for nearly two years now along with other events and for anyone here who knows me, I'm the methane guy, and I still hold fast that this fireball phenomenon has everything to do with gases in our mesosphere (the layer of the atmosphere where meteors burn up) and that they are reacting away in that layer. Gas normally would make the air more dense, which is what is believed to have always worked in the mesosphere to cause meteors to burn up once they hit the more dense air, but instead, I believe somehow the methane gases rising to this layer are actually thinning the air here, which is allowing the space rocks to fall much deeper into our atmosphere causing the spectacular light shows and frightening explosions in the air above our heads. Don't ask me how the methane would thin the air rather than make it more dense. I'm not a scientist and can't explain that, I'm just making a hypothetical guess simply because after studying the release of methane gas and its affects on our planet and our atmosphere, this would make sense, and because the fireball phenomenon also started up along the same time as so many other current phenomenon, such as mass animal die-offs, disease outbreaks, sinkholes, unexplained fires and explosions, the sonic booms, earthquakes and volcanoes, and the extreme weather events (hot and cold, drought and floods, massive rain and snow events, etc.).

Anyways...I hope this thread catches on. I wish you had started it in the Fragile Earth forum, but either way, this is a very important topic right now and more people need to pay attention. I'll contribute some more information and also, post more fireballs to the thread as they come up if some are missed.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Last Friday night there were many witnesses to a very bright meteor in Oklahoma

VIDEO: Meteor witnessed over Oklahoma

Did you see a flash across the Friday night sky? NewsChannel 4 had reports of a meteor being seen from people in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Many folks are talking about seeing it in Texas and Arkansas.

What's interesting about this is that the next night, Saturday, many Oklahoma residents reported hearing loud house-shaking booms. 911 was even flooded with calls. Could this have also been exploding fireballs?

What it wasn't:
Earthquake ruled out
No light flashes reported but doesn't necessarily rule out an explosion
Military says it wasn't a sonic boom
No severe weather in the area so not thunder

Mysterious boom in NE Oklahoma still a mystery

TULSA, Oklahoma - Thousands of people across northeastern Oklahoma are asking the same question today: So what WAS it?
The "it" in this case was a very loud boom that was heard and felt at about 8 p.m. Saturday, January 25, 2014. Moments after it happened, the News On 6 social media accounts were jammed with people wanting to know if anyone else had heard and felt it.

The police and fire department scanners in the newsroom crackled to life with dispatchers telling crews in the field about all the calls to 911 about it.

People across the News On 6 viewing area reported a very similar experience: a boom loud enough to be heard indoors that shook windows and even rattled doors. It's understandable why they would want to know what caused it. That goes double for those of us here at News On 6.

These loud booms are also becoming the norm. They're very mysterious but I'm beginning to wonder if many of them may be attributed to these exploding fireballs.

edit on 30-1-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Massive firebll over Mexico

Widely observed all across Mexico on Thursday night about 7 pm their time. One witness said that it streaked across the entire sky.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Heard large booms at 2:31 pm here in Los Angeles and just now at 2:36 pm 4 more booms like sonic booms. Could be a fore shock of some type to a quake? Or space junk entering our atmosphere. Post if you have heard or seen anything today.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I found this on G7IZU web site

Not sure if this is near you nor what direction this started or ended, if you choose Trans-Atlantic All at the top you can see many more recordings. Actually I can see it is much more north of you, more around San Fran. Sorry.
edit on 2/24/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

dreamfox1
Heard large booms at 2:31 pm here in Los Angeles and just now at 2:36 pm 4 more booms like sonic booms. Could be a fore shock of some type to a quake? Or space junk entering our atmosphere. Post if you have heard or seen anything today.

I was going to mention that you post these on the Rumbling sounds and Quake Watch threads but you were way ahead of me on that one. Anyways, I have a theory on these booms, well, some of them because I believe that many are meteor explosions with the increase in fireball sightings lately. But, also, in this case because of the succession of them and being five minutes apart, I would bet these are gas explosions from seismic activity when gas is released from fissures. They are happening every where I don't think there always has to be an earthquake that registers for gas to erupt from below and it comes out with explosive force. That's why there are so many boom reports accompanying many of these earthquakes that do register. Take Oklahoma for example, an unbelievable amount of quakes lately and witnesses are reporting that there are a lot of sonic booms to.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Very large green fireball spotted over New York

Jason W., Baldwinsville
"Appeared to break into several pieces. Glowing and appeared like a firework rocket with sparks trailing it. Amazing show! My first thought was that it was a firework because it was so bright and pronounced."

Samuel W., Oswego
"I saw it enter it was very bright when it came in and then I watched it come straight down at a slight angle and it got brighter and brighter like looking at a street light."

Carol B., Camillus
"It was incredibly bright green, followed by a whitish gold tail. It was quite large and low. It looked like a firework. Amazing."

Nick J., New Hartford
"This was a very large and bright object not normal to the area. The flash was about 1-2 seconds after I first saw it, then continued to burn for about 1 more second."

A large percentage of these observed fireballs lately are green, according to witnesses. It's said that the color of a fireball is determined by its makeup and its interaction with gases when entering the atmosphere. I searched for what color would be produced when interacting with methane gas and found no answer. If a meteor is made up of nickel it would burn green but I also believe the green color comes from interaction of the meteor with methane gas. Increased levels of methane gas in the atmosphere over recent years and now increased sightings of green fireballs.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Lots of reports of fireballs/meteors across the central and eastern parts of the US.

There's been about 175 reports today. www.amsmeteors.org...

A few people reported seeing it in Chicago. There's even a video posted:
wgntv.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join