It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Watch 2014

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hi there I thought I would start a Meteor Watch Thread for 2014 as it seems we are in for some interesting objects coming our way this year.

We have a meteor storm possibly on the way in May of this year for 2 streams from Comet 209P/Linear and to make things more exciting the parent comet of this shower will cross our orbit on or about May 22nd and we will be in the same spot on May 29th. Will this comet lay down fresh trails or is it as some believe exhausted of its volatiles and debris.

So I would like to start out with the Alert below...

Worldwide Meteor Alert Issued - Jan 14 - Jan 21 2014 Lunar Meteor Hunters Blog Spot

This is a warning that a large meteor outburst is certain during January 14 - January 31, 2014 and is related to asteroid 2007 SJ perihelion Jan 21 2014 . I am not sure but does this sort of thing get posted very often? The site encourages getting the word out on social media and forums.

This alert just happens to be at the same time as we will be passing through Comet ISON's trip into the sun before it disintegrated on November 26th.
I know there are many booms and rattling being reported and most recently in Petersburg, West Virginia or Virginia on January 11 around 8:30 this morning, oddly enough I captured a picture of incoming around the same time on Intellicast. I don't know if it is related or not but please let me know what you think.

Area residents are wondering what's been causing loud booming sounds that have been heard throughout the region.

"We had two calls from the 1700 block of Westover Avenue this morning around 7:45 to 7:50," Petersburg Police spokeswoman Esther Hyatt said. She added that officers cleared up from the area when nothing was detected that would have caused the sound.

She added that others at the Petersburg Bureau of Police said that they heard the same noise this morning in Colonial Heights and that some had heard the sound last week and thought perhaps "it was military-related."

But, officials at Fort Lee say it isn't their doing.

"We're not the source of the booms," said Stephen Baker, Fort Lee Public Affairs Officer. "We do sometimes do training at the range on post which sometimes involves the use of small explosives or simulators but nothing to the magnitude of what's been heard."

Here are some links that I frequently use and you may like too:

G7IZU Radio Detection of Meteors
This shows meteors as they enter our atmosphere and their trajectory, not sure what the delay time is though
Meteor Showers Live UK
This shows meteors that are recorded on the above site so you can see the radio size/peak vs size of meteor
Meteor Scan.com
This site shows size of meteors, not sure where or how big though, if anyone has more info on this I would love to know.
NASA All Sky Fireball Report
This site lists meteors that are observed, speed, meteor shower radiant, orbit and land fall or entry location
Comet Catalog
This is a list of comets for 20XX that will be coming to perihelion in the year you choose to view
NEO Earth Close Approch
List of objects by date that have passed or will pass, size, distance both AU and LD and speed
American Meteor Society
List of confirmed and Pending reports, I like to check pending when i see something of interest elsewhere
Earths Busy Neighborhood
List of newly found meteors and details of risk etc.

I will add more links and reports as they become known, hopefully some of you will either see your own meteor or know of something in your area that did not make national news but was notable in your own area and post to this thread a keep it going.

Eyes to the skies.
:

edit on 1/11/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
delete
edit on 11-1-2014 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

What was that for?? one reply and this is it whatever it is?? You said lies? I will have you know I made sure that my sources were relevant. Thanks a lot buddy!!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Cool! I like discussing meteors and fireballs.

Tonight there is 14 fireballs that may penetrate Earth's atmosphere.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

i check neo.jpl.nasa.gov... everyday cause we all know these things can just sneak up on us and to be honest the ones that do sneak up on us are the ones that are more interesting.

if everyones honest then they would say in their lifetime they would love to witness one bigger than the russian one, even knowing lifes would be lost,hell even if i was one it would be so cool to witness it,we know we,r going to die so u ask me if i,m going out then that out would be the best way ever.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Thanks for the very detailed report and link list. Nice work. I really hope some of those nights this month come with meteors and good viewing. And I've heard about the May showers, do you personally think those will be very large? One of these anticipated events lately is bound to "pay off" with some nice sights.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Anyone else here operate a meteor cam?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

itwas a linkto a site saying about what to do in a meteor strike i take it them and ats dont get along lol

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Sorry I know of which you speak I saw the article too but did not dare link to it. Sorry, thought there was something else in your message and took the wrong way, not seeing what was in it.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

JadeStar
Anyone else here operate a meteor cam?

Like the ones in this website. Meteor Showers Live UK on their Home page? Do you have one JadeStar, would love to see what you capture here if you do?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Aleister

Thanks for the very detailed report and link list. Nice work. I really hope some of those nights this month come with meteors and good viewing. And I've heard about the May showers, do you personally think those will be very large? One of these anticipated events lately is bound to "pay off" with some nice sights.

Thanks for your thanks, I hope this is of interest to some and have been meaning to start this for a while. Myself I don't live in an area that is open for viewing although in May when it is warmer I hope to get out to a more suitable site to view these. I know i have seen conflicting reports on this and I by no means profess to be any expert in any way, just one of my interests. The University of Western Ontario seems to think it may not be as large as previously reported, I guess we will find out in May.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

MamaJ
Cool! I like discussing meteors and fireballs.

Tonight there is 14 fireballs that may penetrate Earth's atmosphere.

www.spaceweather.com...

MamaJ I was under the impression that those are after the fact. It says reported so I am not sure, but aren't they a day behind and those have already been recorded then the orbits calculated, that is the way I interpret their data? If you click on the link there and the date in the NASA All Sky most of the info is for the day before or they use UTC. Here is a picture of the data you can find on the individual dated reports.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The weather radar screencap doesn't show an incoming meteor, but a common form of glitch caused by interference - it's neither significant nor interesting. For the record, weather radar isn't designed to pick up meteors, incoming or otherwise, and they wouldn't show up on it. Sorry!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Great post and good info! I will be checking out some of the sites.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Nice work and good idea for a thread. The source collection is very nice of you, makes it easy for lazy, hurried people (cough).

I am a lay lay person when it comes to astronomy... a couple classes, a lot of reading and docs give me a decent basic comprehension about what goes on above... and it sure seems to me that there have been more bolides lately. Nothing to get worried about, but the space rocks seem a tad more plentiful, statistically, than the previous few ... decades at least.

There is truly nothing to get upset about and the argument that we are just looking up more and that more of the Earth covered by more folks with internet, and thus reporting, access, is likely all there is to it. But either we are getting hit more, or it's more common than we knew because more people are reporting what's been coming in overhead since... forever, and thus the likelihood that a real big one might hit Earth sooner than we guessed is valid. Setting up a better watch system and having an intercept plan is less frivolous.

The seemingly noteworthy increase and that there is more awareness is a good thing, as it might make us collectively do more about the possible civilization stopping smack-down that does occasionally happen. So... this thread is a good idea. Whew... that was long, apologies.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Bookmarked sir! Tq for this thread
This is an urge..

U.S. doctors:”Drop and take cover when you see the bright flash from a meteor”

At the time of the Emergency Management Agency of Utah (UEMA) conference on Jan 9, 2014, Physicians for Civil Defense issued the following statement:

All Americans, starting with first responders and emergency managers, need to know this basic life-saving principle: “Drop and cover if you see a sudden very bright light.”
Such a light will be followed by a deadly shock wave within seconds. Those who drop and cover will probably survive. Those who do not are likely to be killed or suffer severe injury.

thewatchtowers.com...

Are they know something??

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

SummerLightning
The weather radar screencap doesn't show an incoming meteor, but a common form of glitch caused by interference - it's neither significant nor interesting. For the record, weather radar isn't designed to pick up meteors, incoming or otherwise, and they wouldn't show up on it. Sorry!

Ok, I have heard this before from other posters, can you explain what it is then exactly? Are you in this field of meteorology?

At first I thought these were incoming planes, but the footprint on radar seems awful big for any jet to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Hey Cheesy I thought you might pop by, I know this is right up your alley. Who knows all we can do is report and see what happens I guess, tq and it is Ms.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Thank you and I hope everyone updates important info to keep the thread going. I think the bolides and fireballs are increasing but others say no, so it would be nice to be updated to see the trends. I sure never want to see one like the Russian meteor in 2013 but hey you never know when one will come through the atmosphere overhead..yikes. I hope people will update as needed and I will not be an expert subject matter here, we have way more knowledgeable members than I could ever hope to be. Maybe we will all learn and be enlightened together.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Thanks for your time spent putting this info and links together. I love meteor watching. I live in Virginia within eyesight of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very strange rumblings this morning and a flashbulb type flash. My husband and I went outside repeatedly between 8 and 10:00 this morning. The rumbling noise was so unusual - never heard anything like it.

We live in a very rural area - almost no night time lights are visable so skywatching is one of our major pasttimes. From our perch on top of a mountain we have seen many unusual lights moving in very unusual ways. We see meteors quite frequently but have never heard anything like we heard this morning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join