It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet, World Governments, You, your privacy, and the NSA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

zeroBelief

BrianFlanders
Yeah. I have always believed the internet and associated tech is (or will eventually be) the real life version of Orwell's telescreen. Only far more sophisticated. When it all finally comes together, privacy of any kind will be next to unheard of. They will not just depend on you to type what you're thinking voluntarily. They will ultimately want to know what's going on in your head when you aren't voluntarily communicating with anyone. Oh yeah , don't bring any other electronic devices with you like your cell phone ofcourse.

And of course, it will also be a piece of cake for them to track just about everything else you do, store it in it's own unique database and continuously analyze everything with AI.

Well, there *are* ways around it. TOR, for instance. Or backing projects like the Kickstarter project for the Off-Pocket.

Careful with the hardware.

Make sure to bring out the old commodore64 purchased in a garage sale , travel randomly non stop around the world using open networks with a different old NIC card each time you connect and all the while changing between stolen cars to avoid being captured in videos by highway , gov't or private surveillance measures. Then you might be near 90% anonymous.

www.technologyreview.com...
This month, news reports based on leaked documents said that the NSA itself has used that tactic, working with U.S. companies to insert secret backdoors into chips and other hardware to aid its surveillance efforts.

Critics of the NSA say the untraceable nature of hardware flaws, and the potential for building them into many systems, also increases the risk that intelligence agencies that place them will be tempted to exceed legal restrictions on surveillance.

edit on 18131America/ChicagoTue, 14 Jan 2014 10:18:00 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18131America/ChicagoTue, 14 Jan 2014 10:18:31 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

NullVoid
Do you know DARPA "envisioned" USB back in 1970s ? It's possible
Do you know GPS is military derived ? Yep, most technology starts out in the hands of military before being given to civilians
Do you know Internet is a military network with selected universities ? Yep, that is how email got its start
Wait, thats wrong, Al Gore "invented" internet. My bad.
Coming soon near you, mass broadcast direct to brain.
Wait, thats bluebeam isnt it ? Cousin of bluetooth.

All in all, its getting out of their hands, but thanks to them, we have these things now.

Most of this information and the information in the OP you learn in a standard Computer Science undergrad program. Just because the military invented the internet doesn't mean it was invented to control the masses. Again, technology tends to get invented for military applications first before it is given to civilians. This has been going on throughout this century. I see nothing overt behind it. SOP and all.

Yepp, standard Computer Science 101. Been there.

However, as I said, it never sat quite well with me that DARPA/NSA simple "gave it away" to the masses. I just didn't see what benefit it gave them.

Other than....

As a means of offering the world something, a means of communication, which could be manipulated, exactly as we've discovered it is today.

In other words, yes, I do think there is an unreasonably high probability that it was done with purpose and intent.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

interupt42

zeroBelief

BrianFlanders
Yeah. I have always believed the internet and associated tech is (or will eventually be) the real life version of Orwell's telescreen. Only far more sophisticated. When it all finally comes together, privacy of any kind will be next to unheard of. They will not just depend on you to type what you're thinking voluntarily. They will ultimately want to know what's going on in your head when you aren't voluntarily communicating with anyone.

And of course, it will also be a piece of cake for them to track just about everything else you do, store it in it's own unique database and continuously analyze everything with AI.

Well, there *are* ways around it. TOR, for instance. Or backing projects like the Kickstarter project for the Off-Pocket.

Careful with the hardware.

Make sure to bring out the old commodore64 purchased in a garage sale , travel randomly non stop around the world using open networks with a different old NIC card each time you connect and all the while changing between stolen cars to avoid being captured in videos by highway , gov't or private surveillance measures. Then you might be near 90% anonymous.

This month, news reports based on leaked documents said that the NSA itself has used that tactic, working with U.S. companies to insert secret backdoors into chips and other hardware to aid its surveillance efforts.

Critics of the NSA say the untraceable nature of hardware flaws, and the potential for building them into many systems, also increases the risk that intelligence agencies that place them will be tempted to exceed legal restrictions on surveillance.

To quote G.I. Joe

"and knowing is half the battle"

or some such.

I think the main key here is to not be naive about your activities. That's all

Oh, FORD would NEVER track you...nahhh.......

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

zeroBelief

interupt42

Conspiracyskeptic
I see what's your saying but what's stopping anyone from not connecting of their digital devices to the internet? Because nothing says your HAVE to connect your devices to the internet.

For now in the future everything will require network connectivity. Ahh man ,I got to update my toaster my subscription expired.

Toaster. Alarm system. Smart Meters. Your stove. Pretty soon it'll be your "personal pleasure" devices as well.

What benefit would having a toaster or a stove that's connected to the net grant you or even a smart meter because you could go-off grid aka no internet/phone line and run a couple of lgp-fueled generators for power to power the home during the day and charge batteries for use at night if you had the money to do so.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

interupt42

Conspiracyskeptic
I see what's your saying but what's stopping anyone from not connecting of their digital devices to the internet? Because nothing says your HAVE to connect your devices to the internet.

For now in the future everything will require network connectivity. Ahh man ,I got to update my toaster my subscription expired.

Toaster. Alarm system. Smart Meters. Your stove. Pretty soon it'll be your "personal pleasure" devices as well.

What benefit would having a toaster or a stove that's connected to the net grant you or even a smart meter because you could go-off grid aka no internet/phone line and run a couple of lgp-fueled generators for power to power the home during the day and charge batteries for use at night if you had the money to do so.

Here, I might suggest you visit Popular Science or even Gizmodo.

You might also want to try googling the entire concept of "Smart Meters". Maybe you'll just find out that someday soon, you might not have a ton of choices over whether you can or cannot use one.

Also, you may want to read the thread as a whole.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

zeroBelief

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

interupt42

Conspiracyskeptic

You might also want to try googling the entire concept of "Smart Meters". Maybe you'll just find out that someday soon, you might not have a ton of choices over whether you can or cannot use one.

Cheers!

You make some good points but the point aboutmy going "off-grid" post is that going completely off-grid even including growing your own crops of canola oil to process into biodiesel to run your generator and having no internet/phone connections including mobile/smartphones is the only way to avoid electronic spying.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

interupt42

Conspiracyskeptic

Cheers!

You make some good points but the point aboutmy going "off-grid" post is that going completely off-grid even including growing your own crops of canola oil to process into biodiesel to run your generator and having no internet/phone connections including mobile/smartphones is the only way to avoid electronic spying.

That is always an option. I never attempted to align anyone's thinking otherwise. I wish you well !

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

zeroBelief

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

Conspiracyskeptic

zeroBelief

interupt42

Conspiracyskeptic

Cheers!

That is always an option. I never attempted to align anyone's thinking otherwise. I wish you well !

I DON"T have any intention of doing it in the foreseeable future. I'm just saying it's the only way to avoid this thread's subject completely that i can think of.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So, here's a little interesting tidbit I just found....

The NSA feels that if people knew about these controls, they’d be OK with the collection. This argument reminded me of something I learned from my approved NSA source in the 1990s. The official who concocted the Clipper Chip scheme had a vision where private citizens could use encryption. But the NSA, though its built-in backdoor chip, would be able to access the information when it needed to. The official called his vision “Nirvana.” The NSA is still envisioning Nirvana, this time a system with huge haystacks accessed only when national security is at stake. But many people believe the very creation of those government-owned haystacks is a privacy violation, and possibly unconstitutional.

Story with quote above....

Kinda sorta fits right into what I was saying about my idea of the Internet "going public" and the NSA/DARPA was....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join