It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visiting real places while you sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Inspired by the Parallel Worlds Exist And Will Soon Be Testable, Expert Says thread, I thought we could use a stand-alone thread to share any places we dream of that we may feel could be real somewhere. It doesn't matter if you're a die-hard who believes you're in a real place in some other universe or star system somewhere in this one, it doesn't matter if you're a skeptic but have that old inkling feeling that a dream felt just a little too real to be a complex creation of your mind. This is the thread for those if you want to share them

I'd like to kick this off with one of my dream places, I've dreamed of it several nights in a row now and several times before, I'd really like to type it out somewhere. I'm going to try to type out enough detail for you to try to visualize it yourselves. If I could paint or draw, I'd be all over canvases with this place.

I'm in a neighborhood, on the slope of a large (really large) seaside hill. The terrain is similar to San Francisco, for those familiar with the neighborhoods within view of the bay (never been myself, only have seen pictures) The homes are always single level, flat-roofed, and modest in footprint. The materials make me think both basic adobe & futuristic at the same time, if that makes sense. It's hard to describe the exteriors, they're simple yet different. It almost looks like the buildings were built to co-exist with the plant life, some homes built in semi-circles so as to not cut a tree down & give it room to continue to grow.
There is no pavement or concrete as we know it, it's all grass, and stone paths through grass. What passes as streets is the same kind of stone paths in grass, only wider. It's very harmonious & relaxing. I can clearly recall the sensation of cool, silky grass transitioning to cool, smooth stone under my feet.
There doesn't seem to be much light pollution despite there being quite a lot of people in the area. The "street" lights are all at ground level, never above you, and the light is so soft that it feels natural. not just looks natural, but feels natural, too.
The trees look like palm trees with the distinct difference being that the fronds have long pine needle-like foliage instead of the familiar fronds we know, and the branch structure allows for them to jut out further before sloping downward. The trunks are the same, except smoother to the touch. The grass is a silky soft, fine-bladed grass in a dark, but vivid glossy green. The leaves of bushes look similar to hibiscus leaves, only much more tightly packed. The water can be seen from just about every home due to the way they're built. It's almost two-toned, a blackish sapphire blue with what I can only describe as an iridescent layer of lighter blue at the surface.

I can't recall the interior of my "home" very well. When I'm in this place, I'm often star-gazing at dusk or dawn, or strolling the neighborhood at those times. I've never seen any constellation that is familiar to me as seen from this rock, but I do recognize the constellations there (the me in the dream does, that is) The stars are numerous, somewhat more than if you went out into the hinterlands away from light pollution. Last night, for the first time I can recall after having several dreams of this place, I observed the moons. Moons. Plural. One was at least twice as large in the sky as ol' Luna up there is. The smaller one was predominately light tans & browns in color, and the other larger one was a beautiful pale rust color. Stunning, really. I recall someone nearby me commenting on it being a beautiful perigee this time with them both crossing so close in their orbits of us (in retrospect, I believe this was an alignment of sorts I was observing) I noticed that the arc of the atmosphere overhead seemed rather sharply defined. You know how if you go outside and look long enough, you can see the curve up there a little? This seemed much more defined.
I laid on the grass and watched until the sun rose, they were still above the water's horizon about 40 or 45 degrees, slowly sinking to moonset. I'm still very impressed with the sunrise colors, the sky went from inky black with all the stars to a pale powdery pink, all over. It was clear, not cloudy. Then it transitioned to a purple-ish blue for the day. It was absolutely gorgeous

I could go into much greater detail with scents, sounds, food, etc, but this is already in TL;DR territory. This place felt very, very real. It feels very real in each dream, as real and tangible as waking life is. I know I live there, I know I work there (somewhere) I know I have friends, family and a pet there somewhere, too. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's so real.
I'm aware of myself observing through "my" eyes, like a voyeur, so I'm at least semi-lucid if it's not real. I may try to go fully lucid, I've actively considered it once in one dream visit this week, but opted to just....soak it all in

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Nyiah
I could go into much greater detail with scents, sounds, food, etc, but this is already in TL;DR territory. This place felt very, very real. It feels very real in each dream, as real and tangible as waking life is. I know I live there, I know I work there (somewhere) I know I have friends, family and a pet there somewhere, too. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's so real.
I'm aware of myself observing through "my" eyes, like a voyeur, so I'm at least semi-lucid if it's not real. I may try to go fully lucid, I've actively considered it once in one dream visit this week, but opted to just....soak it all in

The only real thing is that which is conceiving the dream.
Can the dreamer of the dream ever been found?

Can the seer be seen?
edit on 11-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Nice thread idea!

Here is one of the places I visit often:

The school of knowledge in another dimension:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have also read of other people's accounts of visiting this school in another dimension. One of my friend's has had similar experience/ dream to mine, also going to this huge school, wherever it is.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Itisnowagain
The only real thing is that which is conceiving the dream.
Can the dreamer of the dream ever been found?

Can the seer be seen?

I'm not coffee'd up enough yet this morning. Are you asking if I've seen myself or whoever I am in the dreams? I've seen my reflection on windows & mirrors walking past them. If I'm not myself, the person I am (or am "in") is at least very similar in appearance.

Edit: To clarify, what I mean by similar in appearance is my hair IRL is short & red, while in my dreams it's longer and usually a dirty blonde shade, and our facial structures & body builds are similar. It could be a slightly off interpretation of my physical self, I know that. I haven't examined my reflection like it's a staring contest, only a fleeting glance like people typically do IRL walking past something reflective. Hence, it's either me, or someone very similar in appearance.
edit on 1/11/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

First of all, I'm very well known in my family and my circle of friends for having some of the strangest dreams to have ever been dreamed, lol. The one I'm going to attempt to describe shouldn't have been one of the more memorable ones because the details of it weren't that significant, especially compared to other dreams I've had. It's just the feeling it gave me that makes it stand out.

I once had a dream that I somehow went back to the 90's and was amazed by how much the world had changed since then. In my dream, everything was familiar to me and seemed exactly the way things were in the 90's, but upon waking, I felt like I had just come back from another dimension. It wasn't ANYTHING like the REAL 90's, in real life. It only seemed that way while in the dream. The dream was so realistic and detailed, although most of the details escape me now. I think about it fairly often. There isn't even much I can really describe about it. The main thing that stands out were the vehicles people were driving. There were SUV's that pulled some sort of trailer behind them that looked like it contained the power source for the vehicle. I'm sure that makes no sense, but it was a very strange dream and I wish I could describe it better. Even though there was nothing nightmarish about the dream at all, it left me feeling very strange, like I had actually just visited another timeline. In reality, I'm sure it was just my crazy mind doing whatever it does while I'm sleeping, but it was so realistic it was actually scary.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Your dream landscape sounds very appealing. May I ask how many nights in a row have you been having the same or similar dream>?

It sometimes helps to get it all down in writing or some manner of recalling what you had experienced to get a grip with whats going on up in your noggin if that is where it's taking place. It usually takes a lot of practice to have the same narratives apparent, and especially all the sensory feelings you are describing to pop up while dreaming.

Sure everyone would love to hear about the rest of it. I'm particular wondering about the dream food as I am very hungry right now that's all I can think about.

I don't want to go into my consistent experiences as of yet but maybe one of these days i will share.

Recently though I did have this odd time running about with someone who I thought was a friend. We had been causing all kinds of mischief with light explosives (of the black cat variety)[sorry NSA] getting the jump on unsuspecting kids and others. Then after awhile I found myself in a vehicle of sorts in what seemed to be a parking garage with what I think was the same person and an unknown female I never got a good look at until later. I had gotten out of the car and the next thing I know im saving the girl from the other so-called friend as hes trying to force himself on her. After the scuffle there all of a sudden comes a crowd rushing as if a parade had just shown up. Everyone was congratulating me for saving her and I noticed I was sitting in a computer chair with rollers unlike the one I own or have sat in for years. The girl (very beautiful, I noticed now) is pushing me in the chair and we're rolling down the carpark and into a hallway that spirals to the bottom floor where the parade of people continues. I remember the feeling of joy and happiness and just utter fun of being in the chair being propelled along with the maiden who is also riding along with me at fast speeds. Then I woke up after we had lost momentum.
Pretty odd cause upon waking I noticed it wasn't a normal time for me to awaken.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Nyiah
Are you asking if I've seen myself or whoever I am in the dreams? I've seen my reflection on windows & mirrors walking past them. If I'm not myself, the person I am (or am "in") is at least very similar in appearance.

If you look in a mirror you can see an appearance in the mirror.
What is it that sees the appearance?

An appearance (the dream scene) cannot see.

Look to see what is looking.

The dreamer of the dream scene will never be seen because it never makes an appearance - it gets completely overlooked.

edit on 11-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Interesting. Great idea for a thread. I'll try to be brief. I have to recurring dreams although they occur infrequently. Have been having them some 25 years. Colourful and lengthy.

1st dream is that I'm in a place where all buildings are connected. Not modern but rough by standards. Multi storey with plenty of rooms and corridors. Some open up into large rooms with staircases and doors. Always the same set up but I tend to find new locations within the buildings. Furniture is sparse but functional and I keep walking from building to building exploring rooms and corridors. I tend to recognise everything. After I wake up I often wonder what the purpose is although I do find new experiences in that dream.

2nd dream finds me somewhere in a tropical location on a coast. Rocky shorelines that I climb and negotiate beside the ocean. The tracks are now known to me and I tend to explore further and further. On occasions I have slipped off a cliff and fall slowly to the ocean but before I hit I wake up. This place always seems real and familiar.

Anyway, I can expect to dream them again.

Cheers again for the thread,

Bally

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

I've never been to a place like this, it sounds, dare I say, ethereal. I have had dreams with similar architecture, the Greco-Roman white columned buildings. One place I dreamed of once with that particular type of building was a library, incidentally. It was just like a normal library with the Dewey Decimal System on the ends of cases even, and there were computer terminals to use to go online. Except they were covered with tarps and that section was powered off entirely like it was abandoned. I never figured that meaning out.

Inarismessenger
Thanks for sharing. Your dream landscape sounds very appealing. May I ask how many nights in a row have you been having the same or similar dream>?

Sure everyone would love to hear about the rest of it. I'm particular wondering about the dream food as I am very hungry right now that's all I can think about.

Last night (Friday night) was the 4th consecutive night. I was going to post about it yesterday in the thread I linked in my OP, but didn't want to hijack their thread.

Ok, you asked for it
It was the same place, same home, same lawn, same everything. What I did varied, either skywatching, night/morning walks, walking home from work/family/friends. The interior of the home is a little difficult to recall in detail, the dream seems to "pop" as soon as I exit the front door. From what I can recall, it's a very open & airy floor plan, the bathroom & bedroom are the only walled off rooms. The kitchen, eating area & recreation area/living room are all open, no walls. I can't quite recall the "living room" furniture well, but it's very soft & cozy to sit on. The kitchen seemed to be pretty close to what we have, food cooler, cooking surface, cleaning sink (fridge, stove, sink, in other words) I got the feeling that you didn't accumulate much cookware or dinnerware, there didn't seem to be much more than you need, 2 or 3 plates, 2 bowls, cutlery set, hot drink mug, cold drink cup, etc. Cupboards seem to be about the same as normal, but filled with foodstuffs like a pantry.
My pet is like a visual cross between a praire dog, and a cat. Morph the two, and there you go, sort of. Whatever creature it is, it's female, highly intelligent to the point of almost primate-like communication attempts & cognitive comprehension. She's very loyal, always at my side at home. Kind of like a dog, but more independent.
I consider this to be a hazy recollection of life in the home, but that's probably more detail than most people can recall from a dream, though, lol.
The windows seem to be one-way, you can see out, but not in, no need for blinds or shades, etc. I get the sense there that privacy is highly valued and respected, and that personal property is, too. The doors and windows have no locks, just handles. Either your "knob" is a manual side-to-side handle, or you squeeze a kind of handle that slid the door tongue out to open the door.

There is definitely coffee there, lol. It's richer and more robust coffee, but it lacks the distinct bitter acidity. I've eaten several foods, one being a warm bread with a cheese-like filling. It was very soft bead, but very dense at the same time, and very "earthy" in flavor. The "cheese" was almost like a sauce. The closest I can figure is that it was like a thinner brie cheese in taste & texture. I dreamed this food the first time I dreamed of the place, and tried to make it myself IRL, it was that good. Suffice it to say, I suck at baking, and it turned out a horrible gross mess
I've had a hearty stew with veggies I can't identify, it was almost like a squash soup in flavor, but the vegetable textures were definitely not. Some were crisp, some were firm. I tasted like a root vegetable stew, without the root vegetables. I've also had a kind of meat dish that resembled BBQ, but tasted like a roast. I've had a spiky fruit that tastes like a cross between a kiwi and an orange (if you can imagine that) and a banana-like fruit that you peeled similarly that was internally crisp like apples, with the flavor of blackberries (I really wish this one existed IRL)
As far as social eating goes, there doesn't seem to be any restaurants that you eat in. You can either purchase with currency or trade goods for foods from "restaurant shops", and then you sit outside, go back to where you work, or take it home. The "city" area looks like a modern city, just much cleaner, lots of greenery, and with stone streets, not concrete or asphalt. It's literally like someone melded the city with nature, you can walk outside of your work into a park, everywhere. You get your meal, and you go sit down on the grass somewhere and have at it. Lunch is basically a picnic if you want

The overall scent of this place is a mix of sea air "salty", a musky, yet clean, earthy scent (probably from the trees & ground) and a light sweet scent from the flowers of the bushes that have them. They complement each other like perfection. The climate itself is cool, probably about 65*F at the warmest. Nights don't seem to be much cooler, either. I've walked along the beach at the hill's coastline, the water is probably around 75*F. Cool, but not too cool. The sand is as soft as the grass is, but the color of it...I'm just not sure now that I try to picture it. Odd thing is, it's a sloped beach like the hill is. It becomes flat about calf-deep in the water, the slope of the beach is both peculiar & welcoming.

I'm not sure why I remember this place in such detail. It's not the first place I've had recurrent dreams of, nor is it the first I've dreamed of that felt as real as it does. Maybe this is a place I've been to many times over the years and am just in the last year or so starting to build lasting memories of it? When I dream like this, it really makes me wonder if the ideas in the other thread, my own included, might have merit, that the multiverse is actually thinly veiled and we cross the barrier from time to time briefly in our sleep. It would certainly account for the senses of indisputable "realness" of some. If it's the work of my sleeping mind, I hope I never stop dreaming of this place, I feel a real connection to it in a "home" sense, and really love it there, both the "me" in the dreams, and reflecting on it awake IRL.

Your dream of saving the girl sounds like a trip! Did you achieve anything you felt especially proud of around that time? It could have been your brain's weird way of you processing, say, passing a particularly hard class you thought you were failing in, for example. Or a social situation you hammered out with other people IRL, like you "won" the dispute or something.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
According to Quantum Physics, there are countless dimensions that exist along side ours that can range from slightly different (aesthetically - like houses or ourselves looking similar but slightly different) to radically different. That the changes depend on decisions or developments, almost like plot lines. You take a left turn; in other dimension 'you' take a right, in another, you don't turn at all, in another you go backwards, etc., and it continues on from there, each branching off and creating a million new possibilities. Whether we can visit these dimensions through lucid dreaming is, of course, up for debate. I bring this up because you noticed that things are just slightly different from their 'originals' (how they exist in our world.) The houses/landscape are similar to San Francisco, but not quite. The lines separating the dimensions are considered to be 'paper thin,' but we're unable to see them. When we sleep, can we transcend the barrier and observe other dimensions? I can't say, and neither can anyone else, really. But an interesting idea none-the-less.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

bally001
2nd dream finds me somewhere in a tropical location on a coast. Rocky shorelines that I climb and negotiate beside the ocean. The tracks are now known to me and I tend to explore further and further. On occasions I have slipped off a cliff and fall slowly to the ocean but before I hit I wake up. This place always seems real and familiar.

I haven't dreamed anything like your connected buildings dream, but I've dreamed a similar rocky shoreline dream. Mine's more a northern wooded shoreline, but with a tropical climate. It's always overcast and near sunset. There's never anything ominous or inherently bad about it, it's just dreary. The "beach" is just rocks, rocks, and more rocks that extend out into the water for quite a ways. I've dreamed it a few times, but it never feels like a real place. I've walked on the rocks that extend out into the water and around a curve on the beach into a little bay. There's not much to it, like it's supposed to be a place of quiet contemplation. I actually do like it, it's just the sounds of the waves breaking, wind blowing & seagulls squawking all to myself.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by peaceblaster

I've wondered if quantum entanglement can cross dimensional barriers. Think of it in an unorthodox way. What if we're connected to versions of ourselves on the quantum level across infinite dimensions, sort of like a living accordion paper chain. What if when we dream, it's like getting a memory blip from somewhere down the chain bounced your way? Like an electrical impulse, but of experiences in another life somewhere?

Purely hypothetical, probably quite wrong with the technical aspects, but very intriguing to wrap your mind around.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Great stories, love reading them. I've heard warnings of never die in your dreams because you may not come back. Well my contribution isn't so much a place as it is an event revolving around just such a thing.

I was a soldier or gunfighter in dry desert like setting. There was a gunfight with several people and I was on the losing side. I saw the outstretched arm holding a gun as it went off. I remember hitting the ground, knowing it was me that got hit and then slowly bleeding out.

Everything was vivid, the sun in the sky, shadows, the air I breathed, even the dust in my mouth after I hit the ground. I died in my dream, and I woke up in bed. I was shocked, I did a reality check and found that I was still dreaming.

I feel as if the experience was a lost memory from a previous life, to me it was very real although I've never had that dream again.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I've dreamed (and remembered my dreams) since I was in middle school. I wrote them down up until my early 20s, and then it became too time consuming and too involved, unless it was a special dream. I've dreamed of many places, mostly real places that I had physically been to or that I had seen in pictures/movies, but they were always dreamscapes, always on earth, and felt as such. I generally always know I'm dreaming.

BUT, there was one dream that I had where when I woke up I immediately thought "I was there," was when I dreamed I visited the pyramids at Giza (I have never been there). I won't go into the details of the dream, but just standing there and seeing their enormity was awe-inspiring. And when I woke up I felt I had actually, truly been there standing before them (out of body, but still consciously there), even though I knew I was dreaming. That is only time I have ever felt that way in a dream. Pretty Amazing.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Thanks for sharing the food experience. What I would give for some of those bananllerries. You truly are lucky to be able to witness all of that so vividly.

As for my dream I believe it was due to some stressors here at home recently. Roommates actin fools and a relationship I had just ended of 5 years. I left a few minor details out of the dream for fear of breaching ATS' T&C's.

new topics

top topics

join