It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive increases in prescription medication costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Many common medications that were on the $4 list two years ago have become outrageously expensive in the past year--like as in 50X increases.

Check with your independent pharmacists about the percentage increase in their costs for the following common medications:

digoxin
doxycycline
methotrexate
colchicine
generic Donnatal

All of these are about 40-60 X more expensive now than they were just a couple of years ago at my pharmacist's shop.

I'm wondering if the big retail Pharmacies have either become owned by, or have colluded with, the Big Pharmaceutical manufacturers.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

From what I recently heard and am actually trying to track down myself at the moment (don't hold breath...I'm busy busy again), the Feds apparently set limits on monthly allotment of Rx to pharmacies. It's what a pharma tech here told us for why getting my son's adderall is like chasing a stupid Unicorn at times, all over the city for someone with any stock. Never a challenge until the last year or so.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Get everyone dependent on medicines then jack up the price. What is so abnormal about that tactic. We have no laws against that practice being used in the Pharma business. As long as they keep paying the government for their patents, the government will keep enforcing laws that keep cheaper copycat drugs off the market here.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The drugs listed have all been in use for over 35 years, so don't think patents are involved with them, but if they are unavailable or for "unknown" reasons become outrageously expensive, then folks may be forced to use the newer patented drugs.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I was watching the "Dallas Buyers Club" set in the mid eighties. AZT for AIDS was in initial trails, at that time it was the most expense drug on the market (with horrible side effects) at $10,000 for a year's supply. That sounds cheap by todays standards and downright safe. It's all a scam, an example of big business extortion.

edit on 10-1-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Been chasing that same adderal rabbit for my son for about the last 3 years!! what a pain!

Pax

new topics

top topics

join