It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Name Is Ben And I'm a Diabetic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Type 1 to be precise.

At 36 years of age I have been recently diagnosed with T1 Diabetes, it's been fairly unpleasent with some time in hospital that I didn't really enjoy. I've found it fairly easy to adjust to the routine: shooting up four times a day pre-food and one at beddy-byes - cutting out the sauce has been a bit tough, especially over jesus-day and new years
but I did do it

I smoke, I know that's truly awful, but it's a non-starter, I exercise regularly - I've walked about 3 miles a day for the past 3 years, I'm 5'10" and currently 86kg, about 11 stone (I think) - I need to put on some weight, but I calculate I'm in the lower portion of my BMI.

So the question is, what diabetes friendly treats can I have?

*Apologies if wrong forum etc.

Edit: not keen on new smilies.
edit on 10/1/1414 by jokei because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Dare I be the first to say-look into cinnamon to help with your diabetes..? Google it...

Best of luck

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Type one is the bad one. I see no cure for that. Even diet does not help type one, it is pretty rare and is usually inherited.

A friend of mine has it as did his mother and father. His father died at fifty but his mother is in her eighties. If you watch things a little and take the meds, you can do all right.
edit on 10-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

rickymouse
it is pretty rare and is usually inherited.

edit on 10-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Thankyou. Weirdly, I'm the only one in a big family that has the diabetes, there is hyperthyroidism in the family and I have that too - I guess my endocrine system is shafted.

Cinammon is something I like, thanks.

I'm finding it really easy to do the meds and my blood sugar is more or less good, I miss treats though.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Late in life to be diagnosed...sorry. I have cousins (through mariage) that were type one.
Sorry ricky, you give great advice sometimes, but there is no such thing as GOOD Diabetes.
I emailed my cousins about desserts that they like. I should have some links to recipes soon, I hope.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

What's up, Ben?

My daughter was diagnosed Type I a long time ago. Not gonna tell you there's anything fun about it ... but you'll live.

That's all I care to post publicly for right now (time constraints, brother). If you wanna talk about this ... send a PM.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Kind of rare to be diagnosed as Type I in your thirties. After all, it's other name is Juvenile Diabetes. My son was diagnosed at age 12 and is now almost 40, so he's been dealing with it that long. I'm Type II myself and know quite a few people who are. My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't have huge glasses of OJ! But beyond that, I think the biggest thing to learn is "all things in moderation." It's not true, for example, that you can never have alcohol--only a moderate amount. It's not true that you can never have any sugar at all ever again. Have a cookie! One. And have some protein, too, maybe a piece of cheese. And maybe you don't want those pieces of cake full of frosting. And after you eat, take a walk. One of my friends says this makes a tremendous difference in blood sugar levels.

Looking forward to what others have to contribute here.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The internet is full of diabetic recipes, and chart to enter your favorite recipes for protein, calories,carbs, etc.
You will learn in time what works for you,as far as how much exercise and food to reach a balance.
If you have insurance, ask about diabetes education classes, usually held at local hospitals. Some churches also offer them occasionally.
Diabetes shows up earlier in each consecutive generation, as a rule- if it's genetically caused. At 36, it was most likely caused by something else that resulted in pancreatic damage, like having had infectious hepatitis, or heavy alcohol consumption, just to name a couple.
Many of today's medicines can cause type II diabetes, such as coticosteroids.
Type II diabetes can lead to a complete shutdown of pancreatic function if it goes uncontrolled long enough, with the end result being typeI.
Good luck.

P.S. Educating yourself on how insulin and food interact, and everything you need to know to take control of your life is on the internet. Choose reputable sites also, educate yourself on the type of insulin your using, to make sure it's the best choice for you.
edit on 5u1010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the responses. I'm in the UK - so free healthcare, I've been trying to get to see the dietician, but my next hospital appointment isn't until next month. I'm mostly missing the fruit input, although I'm generally a savoury bloke.

Mostly I'm interested in snack things that I can pig out on without worrying. As said, the exercise isn't a problem at all.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Chemists normally stock a small selection of diabetic friendly foods. Just check with the chemist that you can actually have it with your type. Not much more help from me I'm afraid

I'm pretty sure my friends mum got a diabetic cookbook off amazon a while ago due to her being diagnosed with it. Prob worth a look, also any decent diabetic website will prob at least have links to other sites or forums that might help.
I'd highly suggest looking for online forums, they've been a godsend for various things for me and family and friends. Nothing like talking to people in the exact same position.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You will have to learn some self control if you do want to silently destroy you body. I'm sorry to tell you, but 'pigging out' is no longer an option.
Blood sugars that are not kept on an even keel ( high, then low, then high) no irreparable damage to your organs and blood vessels.
That is why so many diabetics lose their legs, and eyesight. These and MANY other complications are preventable, but only if you're willing to put forth the effort to control your blood sugar levels, and it takes a LOT of effort and self control.
Diabetes is called the 'silent killer', because you feel great while fudging on your diet until one day it's too late. You need heart by-pass surgery, or amputation of a limb, or you can't see right, and there is nothing a doctor can do to help you.

I'm sorry if this scares you, or anybody else, but diabetes is a very frightening disease if you don't take it seriously enough to keep it under the best control you possibly can.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Yes, cinnamon and please search info on "olive leaf extract".

Diabetes can be controlled with the right diet and the right amount of exercise.

I will do some checking on good treats and post later.

Good luck to you friend.

edit on 11-1-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If the pancreas is not producing insulin, or very little, you are labeled type I diabetic. Diet, exorcise and cinnamon will not control type one diabetes.
PLEASE take everything posted here with a grain of salt until you have thoroughly researched the disease. Your life depends on it.

Popcorn ( without butter) is something you can have quite a bit of. Brewers yeast adds sort of a cheesy/salty flavor to it.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Hi Ben! My name is.... This sounds like an AA meeting! Ugh. How about I just say: I was diagnosed with T1D in 1982. Welcome to the club!

I love to talk to LADA (Latent Autoimmune Disease of Adults) Diabetics because you have to change your lifestyles so drastically. LADA Diabetes may be a better way to describe the disease you have because, as encountered in this thread, people will say "Nuh-uhh, that's juvenile diabetes. You CAN'T have that." Yes, you can. You have the same disease I do: something told your immune system to attack your beta cells and they stopped producing insulin. They may also eventually stop producing C-peptide and Amylin. LADA Diabetics sometimes also refer to themselves as having Type 1.5. I was an infant when I was diagnosed, so I wasn't aware of the changes forced upon me, which is why I love to talk to you LADAs. Good for you avoiding the alcohol your first diabetic holiday season! Congrats!

Also previously in this thread: cinnamon does wonders for Type 2 Diabetes. It works through reducing insulin resistance. Your body has stopped producing insulin, so it is not a wonder drug for you (or me). We need insulin. Period. Always. Externally.

I eat low carb and that has done wonders for my BGs. But, through doing that, I have found fabulous-tasting things that are perfectly acceptable treats. Like this one:

Cheesecake Fluff
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 C (4 oz) heavy cream
4 T sugar-free Torani syrup (I had no idea these existed until I started the low carb thing. Get 'em on Amazon in a set for the best price)
OR
1/2 C (64g) Splenda
1 T Vanilla

Mix all that together. Just mix and mix and mix until it's this fabulous whipped, creamy goodness. I do mine in a stand mixer, takes about 8 mins. Then I have a sweet treat in the fridge for whenever.

Divide it by 4 and you have 303 calories, 3 carbs, 29g fat, 5g protein, and 2g of sugar found in the cheese.

You can message me anytime. I've been doing this T1D thing for awhile.
edit on 1/16/2014 by Halekoch because: Suddenly: Grammar!

edit on 1/16/2014 by Halekoch because: Saw you're from the UK, added imperial measurements

new topics

top topics

join