It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We don't need "ATS Teams", we need something else...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is a follow-up to the basic idea represented in the ATS Teams thread which was a response to a similar idea presented in the Think Tank thread.

Confused?

I basically found both ideas to be problematic. The main reason being that they were somewhat redundant due to the fact that we already have a Research Forum which covers both ideas comfortably. And no, it's not the most popular forum here at ATS, despite numerous attempts to breathe new life in to it. I could go in to the reasons why but I do not want to derail my own thread. Instead, let me introduce you to my theory...

“The artist’s task is to save the soul of mankind; and anything less is a dithering while Rome burns. If artists cannot find the way, then the way cannot be found.”

- Terence McKenna

One thing that Mr Mckenna has taught me (amongst the millions of things) is that culture, as it stands today, is not our friend. We need to create our own culture, our own roadshow. In this spirit here is my recommendation (in brief):

In the Collaborative Writing forum a competition is started whereby the members are tasked to come up with their own film synopsis and opening scene. The films themes must be centered around the topics of discussion on offer here at ATS.

A prize (perhaps a conspiracy themed book – relevant for writing forum?) will be given to the eventual winner. How that winner will be chosen I do not know; flags? Pre-picked panel of judges decision? Whatever the consensus – THAT.

Winner is decided, prizes given out and many congratulations are offered.

The end.....well, not quite.

You see, here is where my idea for cross-collaboration comes in to play. We now have a great film idea, lets run with it.

The next competition that will be introduced will be for all of the artists/graphic designers of ATS. So we have a film but now we need an official film poster. The members taking part in this competition will be tasked with designing a poster for the winning film idea. Artistic license will obviously be encouraged but it needs to be relevant to what we already know of the film from it’s synopsis/opening scene. Members could even work in collaboration with the original film idea winner or perhaps even the original winner themselves might want to participate – nobody is excluded. Again, the winner will be decided by flags or judges.

Once again, winner is decided, relevant prizes given out and many congratulations are offered.

So now we have a film idea and an official poster. Fantastic. But all successful films need to have a trailer.

So, the next competition will be focused upon any Videographers we may have here on ATS. Their task will be to come up with a short trailer for the original winning film idea using what they have already seen in the other competitions and plenty of their own artistic license. It could be animation, original footage, stock video/images....hand-drawn stick men for all I care, as long as it is original and in line with the already presented winning ideas.

You see where I'm going here?

Members with AMAZING talents being given the opportunity to showcase themselves whilst working alongside fellow members - all in an effort to create something original to ATS. Maybe the winning trailer could grace the ATS Youtube channel (does it even have one?) The winning film poster could become a backdrop for the ATS Home Screen for a day (don't know how viable that is?)

It's all about lifting spirits that have become epidemically low recently and creating our own roadshow.

I mean, the possibilities are endless.

What about an official ATS newsletter/newspaper? A review of some of the best and brightest threads of that week/month, mixed in with some newsletter original content, a "Get to know a member..." segment, alternative video/music/art/literature reviews etc...

We need to make ATS more interactive and less one-dimensional. We are jam-packed full of information on EVERY conceivable subject - to the point now where we are all retreading in our own, and each others, footsteps. In the process people are becoming disillusioned, disheartened and downright pissed off; for examples, please click on ANY current ATS thread. It's just becoming a vast storage space for information, a gargantuan wall of text that appears impossible to scale. And more and more that information is becoming mainstream. Mainstream, for Christ sake!

So yeah, there you have it.

I literally sat down with the intention of writing something else, something slightly more negative if I'm honest, related to the situation here at ATS and have somehow come up with this. Impromptu or not, I genuinely believe I am right about this vision for ATS. You can keep your "lets get together and do some nice writing" idea, I want to create some kick ass culture!

Deeds, not words.

Have at it

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You have definitely been listening to Terence Mckenna, and he has had a definite impact on your thinking. That's not a bad thing. I like almost any idea here that involves collaboration with other members. Community effort, teamwork, and goals are a good thing, because it breeds an atmosphere of discovery. Discovery about ourselves, and others, which in turn starts melting the cold division that has been perpetuated between us. Our society needs that right now, more than anything.
edit on 1/10/2014 by Klassified because: spelling and grammar

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It is a good idea, I would love to help out in some way if it ever takes off!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Brotherman
It is a good idea, I would love to help out in some way if it
ever takes off!

I want to be the youngest member ever to become a super moderator. Can you help me in this idealistic visionquest (as much as I love as well Terry McKenna, Ken Kesey, Tom Wolfe and the now futured dead ibid Hunter S. Thompson and have to include Edgar Allen Poe). Still waiting for William Burroughs demise. Not a head hunter though.
edit on 10-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Yeah, we need a different approach if we are to make a difference. This is how I see it happening and will be doing everything I can along these lines regardless of whether ATS does so or not

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Thank you, it has been duly noted.

Do you have any particular skills or talents? Or, like myself, would you just be giving it your best shot?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
who gets the copyrights ?

just a thought in case the movie script gets picked up by a producer and runs with it ... ?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Not sure what the ATS policy is but the original writer should always retain the rights to anything posted on ATS.

But they should obviously share their profits with us, it's only fair

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I like the idea. It would take a lot of work by someone with time to organize and oversee the overall project. I could certainly be monetized, and I am certain ATS has the talent here. I would participate. Maybe in writing, definitely in the movie poster.

On a side note: wouldn't it be nice if we could have this conversation without someone screwing it up with questions about copyright? I get a lot of free entertainment from this site, and am only all too happy to give back to it. Call it "maintaining my own interest" or "self preservation". How about we ask only for people who really have a passion for ATS and what it offers to participate, so that copyright isn't an issue?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Is there a financial side to this, an investment?

If so how will the investment be justified?

I agree with you that the Debate forum, and collaborative forums could use an overhaul. The debates have more to offer then just a reading experience on the forum, there is possible media and income opportunity there. The collaborative writing and research forum, same thing.

edit on 11-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

onequestion
Is there a financial side to this, an investment?

If so how will the investment be justified?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.

Please explain.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You are a prime example of what I was talking about, somebody who always gets stuck in and who has obvious talents.

Regarding who would take control; look no further than I. If I don't do it here I'll only go and do it elsewhere. Obviously it's up to the Amigos but it doesn't phase me.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Why not share your thoughts in the existing thread? That way we can keep all the spit-balling in one place.

Thank you.
Thread closed.

top topics

join