It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Agency Admits It Began Stockpiling Potassium Iodide Due to Fukushima

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
There was something else I thought of. With N. Korea upping its saber rattling and nuke capable and the increasing tensions with China in the area, they may also be thinking of military personnel operating in that theatre in case of nuclear attack, too. It was early March 2013 when Kimmie was last getting belligerent.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

xuenchen
A federal bid notice reveals that a Pentagon agency began stockpiling potassium iodide in 2012 due to its concerns over the Fukushima nuclear crisis, shedding light on why the Dept. of Health and Human Services is now ordering 14 million doses of iodide.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Ordering KI like this is more or less pointless. It was either ordered so that they could give them out to people who wanted to feel safe, regardless of the actual outcome. Or it was ordered by bureaucrats wanting to do good that aren't well enough educated on the matter. Maybe a mix of both.

We can set all arguments of radiation from Fukushima aside, it's totally irrelevant. Here's the facts that actually matter with KI:

1. It can only be taken as a preventive measure. The way it works is that it concentrates in the thyroid just like Iodine 131, by making the thyroid absorb the KI the Iodine 131 can't take hold in your body and cause nearly as much radiation damage. If you're already exposed it does nothing.

2. It is effective ONLY against Iodine 131, other forms of radiation concentrate in places like your bones and muscles. When radiation is a concern there's more than one type of particle.

3. Iodine 131 has a half life of 8 days. It takes about 2.5 years for the currents to bring the radioactive plume to the US shores (it will hit us in March I think it is). As a result, over 99.999% of the Iodine 131 has decayed by the time it reaches us.

4. 1 dose of KI is good for 24 hours of protection. 14 million doses is a 1 month supply for 460k people. It's not even a 1 day supply for everyone.

This goes back to my original assumptions. It's there either to give out to people who demand safety as a placebo, or it's there by someone in the position to order it that wants to do good, but doesn't realize what they're doing is irrelevant.

<< 1   >>

join