It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

I have had years and years of training. So I am qualified to carry.

Yes, the ones that don't ,I have concern for. That's the #1 reason for my doing so.

do you agree with that?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I'm posting this for you, it's only 3 minutes long.

How do you figure carrying at home = living in fear? You put your holster on in whatever way you carry and go about your day like any other.

I guess I can see how some people who might have some kind crazy fear of guns, it might somehow be a big terrifying ordeal, but it's really not.

reply to post by CeeRZ

Glad to hear everyone is safe, at least. I don't personally carry at home most of the time, but then again, I'm usually less than 10 feet from one of my firearms in my home either way.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You do realize that the USA Govt is part of the reason for the amazing amount of CCW holders and purchases of guns in our country right.

Obama made it worse, don't blame us, look at the source.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

justreleased
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I can defend myself without carrying a weapon.

Just saying. It's my point.

I said if weak people feel the need to carry a weapon then it's their right.

Ok Neo, please share the technique how to avoid and stop the bullets coming at you...

The mentality of one who carries a weapon.

Of course I can't dodge bullets but I seldom find myself in the situation where people fire weapons in my direction.

If someone breaks into my home and demands I open my safe then robs me of my change then I guess I'll comply.

The alternative is what? Shoot and kill the person?

Not very Christian. (LOL!)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The guy is lucky he didn't enter your home. You would have shot him. Lucky for you he couldn't get inside.

I always lock my doors. I don't have a gun. I put some of my Xmas bells on my door handles and can hear them jingle when somebody touches the handle. My cats will panic when anybody approaches my front steps. It's all I can do is just have these alerts going, so I have time to make a call to the police.

I keep my phone on me at all times. I keep lights on outside to illuminate my yard. This deters robbers from choosing your home because they usually like to work under the cover of darkness. I've been robbed a few times. Our vehicles were robbed and one stolen. It happened when I turned those lights off thinking it was silly to keep wasting electricity over 'what if's'. It's not silly. So I always have them on now all night long. I leave a light on inside as well.

I live in a high crime area. Lots of grow ops, lots of crack addicts, the bacon brothers and so on.

I'm more concerned with my ex husband sending somebody to my house to attack me. I was panicking when I filed for divorce last year, then panicked again when we went to court and he was given orders to pay me out. I was keeping knives at my side. So far I'm not dead and have become complacent thinking I was just paranoid, but I really can't be complacent thinking he won't strike. He's always threatened me he has people who will kill me. I just can't have a gun. Can they be operated with one hand? How would I load the bullets? My good arm is strong from only using that one and I can swing a good punch and kick, bite, pull hair. It's about all I can do to fight back.

Anyways that must have shaken you up. Glad you're ok.
Good thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the post OP, good to know your home wasn't invaded and you are alright. I've seen a couple of nanny cam videos floating around which catch an assailant breaking in and beating the wife and stealing stuff. Very disturbing and upsetting, but glad you're prepared.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

justreleased
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Wow.

You know what worries me if tshtf is not the 'criminals' it's the "Law Abiding Citizens".

Every gun wielding idiot in town will be shooting at every other untrained or under trained moron with a gun.

People need to understand that owning a firearm doesn't mean you know how to use the weapon. (again I roll my eyes and chuckle.)

So your assumption is that people just go out willy nilly and buy guns and strap them to their sides? No that's not how it works bud --- but go ahead and karate chop and round house your way to freedom.

You seem awfully sore about the subject. You wouldn't happen to be a range target or clay pigeon would you?
edit on 10-1-2014 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Hey I never once said people shouldn't be able to own a weapon.

If you're trained then of course I'm comfortable with you carrying. Most people are not trained and they're just as dangerous as the criminals.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Sorry but I'm on a public comp. so I have no audio.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

LOL.

Maybe in a past life I was a clay pigeon.

I just worry about well....lets hope we never find out.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I want to tell you a self defense story I dealt with while I was in my 2nd year at UAA.

I was leaving a gas station in a small town in northern Alaska. I was getting into my car and some guy walked up to my car and looked like he needed something, he wasn't scary, just your average guy. I rolled my window down about 3 inches and asked him what I could do for him.

He reached into my car trying to unlock my door yelling at me, as soon as I put the end of my pistol in his face, he screamed and I probably broke his wrist in the not-so-easy access in the 3 inches of the window as I drove away. if I didn't do what I did, I would have not been writing this. What should I have done instead? what's your advice in that situation?

What would have happened if my door wasn't locked, or another was on the drivers side.

I bet if that happened to anyone else they could have be murdered, or become a gun owner ASAP, or never poke their head out of their front door because of fear.

But people will do whatever they want to in this world. Consequences do not stop human nature. The Wild West still exists in morderen times wether you believe it or not.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Locking your door is not enough for someone after you!

Its like a soft tuanue cover, it just keeps honest people out

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Sorry if I replied to the wrong person.. one in this thread I did, whoops. no offense

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

No, but sometimes some of my friends would say I'm one.

And yes, people do just go willy nilly, why do you think we go through the paperwork we do to buy one after all the checks by the FBI.

I know many young stupid kids in my community that have tons of guns, never shot one, doesn't know how to clean one. They have money but no sense. Are you that ignorant that to think it doesn't happen....

Pfftt, I'm done with you today. Good luck

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

You're smart to lock your doors, and carry while at home. I do the same thing. Hell, I'm packing while washing the dishes. People think I'm nuts for doing this, but we were burglarize awhile back. I was at work, while my gf, and kids were home. Ever since, I take no chances. If someone breaks in, I don't want to be rushing to unlock a gun to use, because by then, its to late. I'd rather the police put a chalk line around a thug, then a family member. More people should be thinking of this. Its way to easy to drop your guard at home.

link   

I'm glad you were able to defend yourself.

I'm also glad you didn't shoot / kill the guy.

My opinion is the average person doesn't need to carry a weapon. If you feel the need or want to carry a weapon then it's your choice.

I won't and I will not condone the idea.

link   
reply to post by kx12x

I guess I can see how some people who might have some kind crazy fear of guns, it might somehow be a big terrifying ordeal, but it's really not.

If you don't mind my adding to your point here? I honestly think the problem is simple ignorance and in the true sense of that, not in the least bit insulting. You sound experienced and confident with your firearms....let me run a scenario past you tho for an example of what I mean with a lot of people?

Lets say I had John Smith come back into my home office for a little gun safety time. Prior to inviting him back, I have two handguns I can use for this. A tried and true Colt 1911 automatic or a Glock. Lets start with the Glock?

I'm handing him a firearm with no 'positive' safety mechanism, anywhere on the gun. If you pull the trigger, it shall fire. There is a latch that protects pure accidents on the trigger itself, but ...wow, they call that a safety? Err.. So after going through everything, John Smith is going to leave with the impression that guns are safe to handle ..but damned easy to screw up with and unforgiving as all get out for mishandling ....and he'd be right ...for a Glock.

Now, figure I do the same thing with the 1911. That has several safety systems on it and at least 2 are positive in nature. I.E....You must DO something, and do it correctly, for the safety to fully disengage. Add to that, I can have a round in the chamber, and mash on the trigger all day long, until it breaks clean off ....and it will never fire..IF the hammer is down. I can even turn it around and beat someone with the butt of it, leaving the barrel facing ME ...with a round in the chamber ..and be in absolutely 0 danger (short of the most freakish mechanical malfunction).

Now after John Smith leaves from the 1911 gun safety session, he'll believe firearms are safe, pretty darn forgiving with proper handling, and with safeties properly used? Literally impossible to fire. All that...by which handgun to choose, right?

That's where I think of ignorance for much of the fear of guns. People see one kind on TV or even in person, and don't realize one dangerous or ignorant design doesn't mean others aren't extremely safe unless deliberately fired.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Maxatoria
If the USA is going that paranoid i'm amazed they can take a shower or any other activity that involves water or both hand without one hand being on a gun sometimes and i have this vision of bubba on the can with a 12 bore pointing at the door

Wouldn't you be paranoid as well if your freedoms were being encroached on everyday all while police brutality is on the rise and DHS is stacking coffins and buying ammo. All while everything we do is being watched and documented on a super computer owned by the NSA. Our local police are being militarized, drones are now being "tested in certain states". I think paranoia is warranted in this situation, maybe not as extreme as having a shotgun on the crapper but i know my stuff is with in reach all across my house, and I am happy that I have never had to use them or even carry except for the one time some tweakers started threatening my life, it turns out they were all talk, but at least my mind was at ease that night and no one got hurt.
edit on Fri20142014-01-10T16:59:12-06:00th2014-01-10T16:59:12-06:00uFri, 10 Jan 2014 16:59:12 -0600Friday20142014-01-10T16:59:12-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri20142014-01-10T17:06:17-06:00th2014-01-10T17:06:17-06:00000000Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:06:17 -0600Friday20142014-01-10T17:06:17-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I can defend myself without carrying a weapon. Just saying. It's my point. I said if weak people feel the need to carry a weapon then it's their right.

Hey look guys, its the toughest guy I have ever read about on the internet!!!

so can most of us, thats why criminals use guns to get the upper hand. Talk about thick......

edit on Fri20142014-01-10T17:09:21-06:00th2014-01-10T17:09:21-06:00uFri, 10 Jan 2014 17:09:21 -0600Friday20142014-01-10T17:09:21-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

DocScurlock

Hey look guys, its the toughest guy I have ever read about on the internet!!!

so can most of us, thats why criminals use guns to get the upper hand. Talk about thick......

What makes you think I don't own a weapon?

All I said is most of the time I don't carry. I sure don't carry a weapon while in my home.

You want to find out how tough I am, boy?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

justreleased

zilebeliveunknown

justreleased
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I can defend myself without carrying a weapon.

Just saying. It's my point.

I said if weak people feel the need to carry a weapon then it's their right.

Ok Neo, please share the technique how to avoid and stop the bullets coming at you...

The mentality of one who carries a weapon.

Of course I can't dodge bullets but I seldom find myself in the situation where people fire weapons in my direction.

If someone breaks into my home and demands I open my safe then robs me of my change then I guess I'll comply.

The alternative is what? Shoot and kill the person?

Not very Christian. (LOL!)

You are kidding right? Shooting the intruder is not some damn alternative. That should be the primary goal fool! And by the way, christians are some of the most violent in the world, the Crusades? The Inquisition? Shall I go on? Do your research before you go shooting your fingers off on a keyboard! This is purely about self defence, home defence. Some neighborhoods you get robbed once you've opened the door to the next burlary. Get robbed, and make an example of the idiot, and chances are no one will try again.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join