It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I read the opening OP but I'll skip the fray of the rest of the replies. I too carry at home. If I'm in my yard, I'm armed. As far as being inside and still being armed..not so much. Too many firearms to worry about carrying one around with me indoors. There is not a room within my home that I don't have access to a firearm. Bathrooms, closets, pantry. utility room, bedroom, etc etc etc. Been there and done that "home invasion thing". It changed the way I conduct my life & business. Way more aware of my surroundings, I try not to place myself into "bad" situations. But your correct to carry at home. It's your home, it's your life, it's your business. The life you may save, might be your own. Carry on friend, carry on. Peace OYM1262

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Kinda ironic.. you guys are suppose to be "free" yet living in constant fear...

That must be stressful to live where you are paranoid about getting getting robbed or killed. Screw that, my life would be sht if i had to live like that.

If i die, i die. At least enjoy the life.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

luciddream
Kinda ironic.. you guys are suppose to be "free" yet living in constant fear...

That must be stressful to live where you are paranoid about getting getting robbed or killed. Screw that, my life would be sht if i had to live like that.

If i die, i die. At least enjoy the life.

You project your own insecurities upon others. People own fire extinguishers, but they do not live in fear of fire everyday. They have emergency kits in their cars but don't live in fear that they will be in a horrible accident everytime they get behind the wheel. We own firearms because they are tools that we might or might not need at some point. We don't fear them any more than we fear the lawnmower and we don't sit in our house in fear of crime any more than we sit in our house in fear of fire.

We enjoy life just fine--perhaps better--because we don't get all upset about the existence of inanimate objects.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

But that exactly the reason...

Fire Extinguishers= fear of fire because we work with fire(oven etc) almost everyday.

Seat Belts = Fear of getting into accidents when we drive, almost everyday.

Bullet proof/Body Vest = Fear of getting shot at.

Gun = Fear of getting robbed or killed by a "bad guy".

Lawn Mower = Fear of grass growing too damn high!

I do not have any insecurities because i don't think about getting robbed or killed by a robber every sec of my day.... if i have a gun on me, that is exactly what i would think.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by NavyDoc

But that exactly the reason...

Fire Extinguishers= fear of fire because we work with fire(oven etc) almost everyday.

Seat Belts = Fear of getting into accidents when we drive, almost everyday.

Bullet proof/Body Vest = Fear of getting shot at.

Gun = Fear of getting robbed or killed by a "bad guy".

Lawn Mower = Fear of grass growing too damn high!

I do not have any insecurities because i don't think about getting robbed or killed by a robber every sec of my day.... if i have a gun on me, that is exactly what i would think.

And none of those examples are "fears." I have a fire extinguisher in the home but I am not in constant fear of fire. It is there in case. There is a world of difference between preparing for possible contingencies and "living in fear."

You last sentence: if you owned a gun you would live in fear? You let your emotions be dictated by inanimate objects? Obviously you have insecurities if you would permit the mere ownership of a bit of metal change your entire outlook on life. Buying a gun would not change the potential of an attempted robbery one iota, but owning one would make you suddenly fearful? Absent insecurities, how does that make an logical sense? Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

You say that you would carry in countries or cities with high armed violence rates. Then why not in London? Do you know the the stats for London? Be sure to look at a source that is not biased

I also lived in London for years, never saw an illegal weapon (just dad's then legal handguns) and I lived in Tottenham, home of Tottenham gunslinger Mark Duggan. In fact I lived just down the road from where the first riot started. Not one person I know saw a criminal with a gun., even though they totalled 15 muggings between them. Personal and local experience, as someone else just pointed outgun crime is desperately uncommon in the UK.

I was never mugged once. Must look evil

Having said that, I actually saw someone waving a shot gun about menacingly as a kid (rural area). So I'd have to go with the observation there's some gun crime in rural areas, because everyone and their nan has a shotgun in the sticks. But the joy of long guns is you can't conceal them, and they are awkward to lug about. Not handy for a career criminal.

You have to bear in mind what we list as firearms offences includes BB guns.

The increase in gun crime has to do with gang culture, and our increasing black population ( black men are about 5 times more likely to carry a gun). I'm happy with our gun control.
edit on 13-1-2014 by Antigod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

You can belittle and mock all you want...

Never did I mean any of my comments , one of my comments, to belittle or mock any member.

My opinion is what it is. I served in the military and saw people die, it's tough. If I killed a person is my business.

If I offended I'm sorry. Please think if you carry a weapon it is a big responsibility. You have the right to protect yourself but know how to use the weapon.

Always remember the other guy may have a gun. If you pull it be prepared to fire. If you fire be prepared to kill.

Your choice.

Thank you for your comments, no worries - I didn't post that in regards to what you said. It was a blanket statement for the last four pages of comments back and forth between many people. And honestly, it was the "thick" comment that made me write more. And thank you for your service. My entire family is military, and my husband is head of security for a major sports team. So, luckily, we know how and when. My husband and I go to the range every month and we are very very close friends with the owners of our local gun shops, and our CCW instructor.

Weapon safety and being prepared is something that is part of our lives, and not from fear. We are just prepared. I don't go about my day looking over my shoulder and checking every shadow. I go about my day aware of my surroundings, and just that... going about my day.
That is the biggest part of safety - being aware. I have too many times seen things that others are oblivious about. The two girls that I basically saved from getting robbed (or worse) - screamed when I yelled at the guy following them. They weren't even paying attention... and he was 5 feet away. There are many ways to avoid violence, but I'm not going to be the one caught without having my own back up. Police take time - if they show up at all. And every officer I have ever spoken to - INCLUDING the one who came to my house the other night - said they are happy to hear we protect ourselves and know our rights and how to use our weapons.

Side-note - I was pulled over for speeding (no, I wasn't going crazy fast...8 mph over in a 35), and as customary, handed him my license and my CC permit so he was aware I carried in my car. He THANKED me for carrying and let me off with a warning.

Anyway - all in all, we know what we are doing, and we know why we carry. Every day is life and death - but if you fear every aspect of your life, you aren't living. I don't carry out of fear - I carry to be prepared for those unexpected moments. Which, though few and far between - happen.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

projectbane
reply to post by CeeRZ

After reading your story I wish I could ask some questions, however, because most people these days are soft and lead with a feeling based persona I do not think I can, so as not to offend or be presented with false answers.

However, I will list the questions I wished I could ask just because. YOU DO NOT have to answer them. They are merely thoughts out loud.

1) So, are you and your husband overweight at all? Either of you?
2) And do either of you suffer from bullied childhoods or abusive parents?
3) Technically, do you work manual jobs for hourly wages ? Or salary paid?
4) Additionally, have either of you been employed in the Security arena?
5) Now, do either of you have any respiratory or mobility issues?
6) If at all possible can you describe how a gun makes you feel?
7) Can your need to carry be a symptomatic psychological issue?

I would like to express my sincere wishes that you never need to use your weapon in your own home!

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: SPELLING

Because I'm thoroughly intrigued... I'm going to answer these.

1) So, are you and your husband overweight at all? Either of you? Neither - we work out 3 times a week, eat healthy and lead active lifestyles.
2) And do either of you suffer from bullied childhoods or abusive parents? I was bullied until 10th grade (because I'm tall), he wasn't bullied. Neither had abusive parents.
3) Technically, do you work manual jobs for hourly wages ? Or salary paid? He has a salaried position as head of security for a major league sports team, and I own my private practice as a sports Massage therapist, plus I have another salaried job as a Health Insurance Advisor for a major health insurance broker.
4) Additionally, have either of you been employed in the Security arena? As mentioned, husband is head of security. Also, I grew up with a military family. Father, Brother, Sister
5) Now, do either of you have any respiratory or mobility issues? No respiratory or mobility issues for either of us.
6) If at all possible can you describe how a gun makes you feel? Prepared.
7) Can your need to carry be a symptomatic psychological issue? Not likely - it's just part of our lives.

It's a tool. I've often called myself a weapons enthusiast. As I own 42 types of knives, swords, daggers, spear heads - etc. Our firearms do have more importance than the others as there is more responsibility, maintenance and respect needed - but my need to carry is no different than my need to carry an emergency kit in my car. Or someone else's need for an alarm.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by CeeRZ

You ARE allowed, by law, to protect yourself and your community with your weapons, or rather, your constitution supports your right to be CAPABLE of doing so. Do you not believe that this places a responsibility on you, to look out for those who have not the strength or the sharpness of sense to do so for themselves? You have your guns, and that is admirable, but now you must step beyond ownership of your equipment, and train your mind in vigilance, to the point where your automatic response to suspicious sounds, is to fetch up your weapon, and secure your self and your neighbours. Otherwise, what point is there in owning such tools as you possess?

It actually bothers me that I didn't check out my window, and it's actually a regret of mine. The reason I didn't was because I had just earlier watched another neighbor tape a little drawn Snowman paper on another neighbors door. It had a cute little poem, and they gave them "snowman poop" as a gift. It's a thing my neighborhood does every year (as you can now see what I mean by a safe neighborhood) - so I assumed the same was being done to my house, and I just didn't care to check as I was comfy reading a book.
You are right - it is a responsibility to be diligent, which we are. My husband checks our backyard every single night, and we look outside any time there is an alarm. We hear a bang in the house in the middle of the night, and my husband walks out with his gun (to find out the soap fell off the counter). Our neighbors went on vacation, and when we didn't have time to shovel their driveway, we drove our car in and out of their driveway to make sure it looked like they were home. Believe me... I regret not looking out the window to check, because even though I assumed it was a neighbor - my initial internal alarm bells went off in my head. Even my cat popped his head up and starred at the door. And those are the things I should have listened to instead of my content to stay warm under my blanket with a book.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ollie769

Michigan.

And I was referring by default to city and suburbia mostly in response to the OP and her thread here about safe neighborhood as that was the OP description.

I was of course not addressing the difference in states, only the term "self-defense" and not "protection of property" as in Texas, Utah, Montana etc.

Thank you. MS

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
By the way - Just an update on the situation so everyone knows. They caught the perpetrators. They went to CHURCH with my elderly couple neighbors, and knew they weren't home. The couple had stated, in church, that they love our neighborhood and never need to lock their doors. The burglars overheard them say this, and also knew they were gone for the evening because they visit their children every Thurs evening.
They went to my house on accident (all of the houses on our block are similar), and realized they were at the wrong house after the door was locked and the lights were on. They went to our neighbors, realized the front door was locked, jumped the fence, and kicked in the back door because the neighbors decided to lock their doors for once.
But, they caught them - and that's good
But just goes to show - being a Christian doesn't mean you are a "Good" Christian - and only fuels a completely different debate. hahaha

And speaking of church and thieves. A good friend of mine, who I told this story to, said people's cars were being broken into at church, and the new thing is coats being stolen with car keys in them. Such a sad sad world when our religious neighbors are using the fact their neighbors are at church to victimize them. Makes me happy I'm not religious. hahaha
And no - that was not open invitation to hijack the thread about weapons and turn it into a religious debate. It's a simple joke.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

Your links are irrelevant as to me standing on my statement about what one "defends" themselves against. Life and limb...or a 50 inch wide screen tv.

Ill allow others to define when to use and not use weapons where they live.
Thanks MS

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

If you had read my post, you'd see that was not what I said at all. A person climbing in your window or entering your house falls under "home invasion" and as I said, under that, you every right to defend yourself against great bodily harm, or death.

Please read through my posts before responding. You got all riled over a very specific point that was in agreement with your post here, as you should have seen.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Thanks for this post. Im tired of trying hard to pass along simple info and getting back the "Yeah? But what if....". The scenarios are endless, and so is the legal right to defend oneself, others and personal property.

So, thanks! MS

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Pepper spray.......then kick them in the balls.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This thread has degenerated into a "What if..." of scenarios about self defense and when to and not to use deadly force.

Im exiting this thread with no more responses as it will never end. So lastly, Im addressing the Original Poster and her thread.

Im glad you have a firearm. I am sorry you...like myself...have to live in a world where its necessary to arm yourself in your home or when going to the garage or corner store.

The old adage stands: "As long a the criminals have guns, can get guns and will use them...Il Ill carry mine".

Trained. Certified. Experienced. Determined...to never HAVE to use it.

Thank All.............MS

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

"paranoid...fear...blah..."
I am carrying in my home because I frequently go out and too lazy to take it off every time I get in. Your statement is ridiculous - I am not fearing anyone or anything, not only because I am always armed, but it is a contributing factor. And I like playing with guns
However, being unable and unwilling to defend oneself sums to the opposite to paranoia: denial syndrome. Or just plain cowardice

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

So, uh, your gun didn't save you, your door being locked did.

That's all I have to say, other than I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This thread is both fascinating and frustrating at the same time. I live in a nice town with nice people for the most part and I carry everyday. I don't carry because I live in fear or paranoia at all. Every single person that lives in America makes the choices they feel necessary for their family just like I do. I don't actually care if don't you disapprove my decision to carry or even if you agree with my point of view. Do what makes YOU happy and mind your own business.

We had a home invasion last year in my town where (totally at random) a guy broke into a house and murdered a lady and her 10 year old daughter. Why you ask? Because he was crazy. You can't fix CRAZY no matter how much you want to. I carry and am proud of it regardless what anyone from Europe or anywhere else thinks about it. If you don't like it....stay in Europe. I am not seeking your approval. I pray I never have to draw my gun and use it BUT, I will in a heartbeat if that is my only recourse. Sometimes very bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. I choose be at least have a chance if I can't retreat from a CRAZY person. I mind my business and don't concern myself with what anyone else does as long as it does not affect me or my family and friends.

Being prepared is not living in fear, just the opposite. If I ever do have to draw my weapon it is because I HAVE TO and who knows, I might die or I just might save my (and your) life in the process. Ignoring that bad things happen does not make it go away. Humans kill each other from time to time, its our nature and it has been going on for thousands of years and it is how we are wired. America has a Constitution and a Bill of Rights. Like it, don't like it, it is what it is and it's the law of the land. If you live in a country that has different laws than where I live then God bless you and have a nice day! I wish you well, now I will go clean my handgun and "live in fear" of someone knocking on my door or whatever......

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

projectbane

bastion
I'm confused, you have a gun on you at all times inside your house but usually leave the doors unlocked? Or am I interpreting that wrong.

This here is a very good point that is unclarifed!! Seems she has her priorities wrong. Or she possibly created this thread for want of attention? Im just asking.

I completely condone the use of guns for civilians. But some people are just plain crazy and irrational. But justify their irrational behavior with a story that may or may not be true!!

No, I never leave my doors unlocked. And no, I didn't fabricate the situation. What would be the point? Look at my previous threads and/or responses.... I'm not that person in any way, shape or form. In fact, I haven't posted in forever.

And let me clarify - I have a gun near me at all times. Not necessarily on my actual body. Sometimes on the table, or on the couch armrest (we don't have children for this to be a problem). At the time of the attempted break-in, I was sitting on my couch, and my 9mm was sitting on my armrest.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join