It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burnaby, BC: New $4.4m SFU observatory will invite public to stargaze!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
New SFU observatory will invite public to stargaze
www.cbc.ca...

Simon Fraser University's Burnaby campus will soon be home to a $4.4 million astronomical observatory and plaza.

The observatory, which is due to be built by August 2014, will house a telescope that the public can use to view galaxies billions of light years away.

The reflector telescope will also provide a digital feed that can be watched remotely by community groups and public schools across the country.

A viewing plaza next to the dome will feature sundials and room for visitors to set up their own telescopes.

"There's a sense that science is something that's not accessible to the public, but astronomy is different," says SFU physics professor Howard Trottier. "It gives people that direct experience."

Trottier, who has run SFU's "Starry Nights" public astronomy workshops since 2007, says he hopes the observatory will encourage young people to develop and pursue a passion for astronomy and science.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When I read this I got quite excited. I have always loved to stare at the night skies on the back sundeck when I was a kid. Had to use the good 'ol binoculars just to get a clear shot at a star.

Now with this observatory completed in August, I am sure to be checking it out when it opens to the public. Finally, I can view some of the far out galaxies in our universe!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011
When I read this I got quite excited. I have always loved to stare at the night skies on the back sundeck when I was a kid. Had to use the good 'ol binoculars just to get a clear shot at a star.

Now with this observatory completed in August, I am sure to be checking it out when it opens to the public. Finally, I can view some of the far out galaxies in our universe!

Just up the road from me. (And across the border.)

Good going Burnaby.

I think every observatory or planetary located near a major city should have a public viewing "people's observatory" as well. It really builds interest and support for astronomy and curiosity about the cosmos for years to come.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
As well for me actually literally right down the road exciting news for all of us here on ATS, British Columbians to have it in our back yard and everyone genuinely interested in space KUDOS to SFU for putting this project together.

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Schweeeet !

Looks like I'm going to be taking a road trip out to Burnaby next summer.

Thanks for posting this OP.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Hey, GREAT share OP! I would likely never have heard of this ..and now that I have? Well, when I next have that elusive thing called spare cash to do something they say is called "vacation"? I think that may well be a fine reason to enjoy the scenery and other beauties British Columbia offers.

You bet I'd love to look through pro-level equipment and see the night sky like I can really never see it otherwise. It would be well worth the trip and side trip to that spot!

S/F and thanks!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is obviously a cover for ongoing UFO research in the greater Vancouver area.....Everyone who knows, knows there have been sightings happening over the lower mainland for a couple of years......especially near the mountains to the north/east side....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That is Awesome news!! I live in Abbotsford, just a hop skip and a jump away from Burnaby. I will definitly be heading there with my band in the fall. Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

This is a little off topic, but lockheed and martin are working together with Cascade Aero Space. I think that may be the reason why we maybe seeing a lot of UFO's here in the fraser valley. Im pretty suspicious of them because of their past and all the info thats been slowly getting leaked on the internet. Its just one possible reason as to why we are seeing an influx of UFO activity here in the past few years.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Hey, GREAT share OP! I would likely never have heard of this ..and now that I have? Well, when I next have that elusive thing called spare cash to do something they say is called "vacation"? I think that may well be a fine reason to enjoy the scenery and other beauties British Columbia offers.

You bet I'd love to look through pro-level equipment and see the night sky like I can really never see it otherwise. It would be well worth the trip and side trip to that spot!

S/F and thanks!

If you decide to do that trip maybe to the whole Cascadia trifecta, BC, Seattle and Portland. Plenty of stuff to see and plenty of ATS related things to do.
edit on 10-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

snypwsd
reply to post by stirling

This is a little off topic, but lockheed and martin are working together with Cascade Aero Space. I think that may be the reason why we maybe seeing a lot of UFO's here in the fraser valley. Im pretty suspicious of them because of their past and all the info thats been slowly getting leaked on the internet. Its just one possible reason as to why we are seeing an influx of UFO activity here in the past few years.

Yep. My parents live in an area with frequent UFO sightings and its actually airships most of the time.

See this thread from New Year's Day:

ATS: UFOs of the Future: Will these aircraft be mistaken for "Alien Ships" in the years to come?

edit on 10-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

I don't live too far away from bby mtn either, so you know where this Skywatcher will be later this year

new topics

top topics

join