It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Telescope Takes Beautiful Photo of 'Hand of God'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array recently caught the above image, showing a "pulsar wind nebula" derived from the death of a star. It's being called the "Hand of God." The reason for the nickname is pretty clear.

Space.com (and other sources) say the "hand" is really just pareidolia.

The Hand of God is an example of pareidolia, the psychological phenomenon of perceiving familiar shapes in random or vague images. Other common forms of pareidolia include seeing animals or faces in clouds, or the man in the moon. Despite its supernatural appearance, the Hand of God was produced by natural astrophysical phenomena.

Source: www.space.com...

Whatever significance you see in this picture, we can surely all agree that it is beautiful.

Here is a write-up from NASA for those wanting more technical info on the picture:

Can you see the shape of a hand in this new X-ray image? The hand might look like an X-ray from the doctor's office, but it is actually a cloud of material ejected from a star that exploded. NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR, has imaged the structure in high-energy X-rays for the first time, shown in blue. Lower-energy X-ray light previously detected by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory is shown in green and red.

Nicknamed the "Hand of God," this object is called a pulsar wind nebula. It's powered by the leftover, dense core of a star that blew up in a supernova explosion. The stellar corpse, called PSR B1509-58, or B1509 for short, is a pulsar: it rapidly spins around, seven times per second, firing out a particle wind into the material around it -- material that was ejected in the star's explosion. These particles are interacting with magnetic fields around the material, causing it to glow with X-rays. The result is a cloud that, in previous images, looked like an open hand. The pulsar itself can't be seen in this picture, but is located near the bright white spot.

One of the big mysteries of this object is whether the pulsar particles are interacting with the material in a specific way to make it look like a hand, or if the material is in fact shaped like a hand.

NuSTAR's view is providing new clues to the puzzle. The hand actually shrinks in the NuSTAR image, looking more like a fist, as indicated by the blue color. The northern region, where the fingers are located, shrinks more than the southern part, where a jet lies, implying the two areas are physically different.

The red cloud at the end of the finger region is a different structure, called RCW 89. Astronomers think the pulsar's wind is heating the cloud, causing it to glow with lower-energy X-ray light.

In this image, X-ray light seen by Chandra with energy ranges of 0.5 to 2 kiloelectron volts (keV) and 2 to 4 keV is shown in red and green, respectively, while X-ray light detected by NuSTAR in the higher-energy range of 7 to 25 keV is blue.

Source: www.nasa.gov...-0vZUEXx

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Breathtaking..

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Looks like some sort of horny skull in the hand. I only see one horn, possibly a goat. Once you're imagining, why stop at a hand.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Awesome
. If I had my own telescope able to take pictures of the universe I think I would have to be pulled out of the observatory as I would just keep myself in there like a hermit.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Nice pic!

Now I am just waiting for the ultra religious crowd to start saying this is evidence of creation....god is showing us he created the universe....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Is it my imagination or is he giving us the bird?

(I find it ironic the "hand of god" is found in the death of a star.)

Regardless it's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

edit on 10-1-2014 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

Sheeet-the simpsons/family guy etc got it right-3fingers,1Thumb.
But what is the hand reaching for?
A giant cosmic craw daddy?
A wingless cosmic bug?
Who can say,but its cool business whatever it is.

edit on 10/1/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: Hmm yes.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse
reply to post by VegHead

Sheeet-the simpsons/family guy etc got it right-3fingers,1Thumb.

That was my first thought too. But then I remembered that The Simpsons gave God four fingers and a thumb:

So - DEBUNKED! It's not God from The Simpsons.

Not sure of the number of digits on The Family Guy's version of God, though...
edit on 10-1-2014 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Err...wait Scientists Don't Believe in God well that is what the Christians tell me!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
God appears to be tossing the Pizza Galaxy.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

high five!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Didn't NASA already show us the "Hand of God" almost 5 years ago?
April 7, 2009 www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Cant be god, there's no collection plate in his hand.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Kaiyuss
Didn't NASA already show us the "Hand of God" almost 5 years ago?
April 7, 2009 www.nasa.gov...

You're right, and the old image even shows that concentrated blue region (hard X-rays). I guess the new observation by NuSTAR offers some new data, or simply confirmation of the previously-known things. Science is like that - they look at the same thing repeatedly to confirm (and possibly refine) their theories.

justreleased
Is it my imagination or is he giving us the bird?

www.thelocal.se...
apod.nasa.gov...

edit on 10-1-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

Wow that is breathtakingly beautiful.

Text The Hand of God is an example of pareidolia, the psychological phenomenon of perceiving familiar shapes in random or vague images.

I love how these scientists even came up with a fancy new word for "you're just imagining this."

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Bone75
I love how these scientists even came up with a fancy new word for "you're just imagining this."

Er...new word? You mean pareidolia? It is at least 20 years old as that is the documented known date of its first use. So not really just making up fancy words, especially since it was used by a psychiatrist.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

Seeing that " The Hand of God" is no more than just a moniker. Some of the responses
in this thread could easily be seen as strong indications of a psychosis.
Unbelievably immature.

edit on 11-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Here's the NuSTAR's image, isolated from the published image by splitting it into RGB and using the blue channel only:

So, although we've seen this nebula before, the NuSTAR image shows the most energetic X-rays in this nebula so far. As the article mentions, here we see not so much an open hand as a closed fist.

The pulsar is better visible in this image from ROSAT HRI camera:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Regardless of what it is, or what people percieve it as, it is still an amazing look at what goes on in our universe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the death of a star take a while anyway?

If that is correct, you could look at it multiple times over the course of several years, especially with different equipment, and see diferent images.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by VegHead

Seeing that " The Hand of God" is no more than just a moniker. Some of the responses
in this thread could easily be seen as strong indications of a psychosis.
Unbelievably immature.

edit on 11-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

I guess some people just cant handle life without showing a hatred of religion they live it and breath it. But its not the only topic i see it when referring to Israel and jews or the government. Maybe its just a sign of the times people are looking for something to rebel against who knows. Sadly you stop learning and growing when you head down these paths.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join