It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The philosophy of minding your own business

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by zeroBelief

Well, you did tell me to stick my opinions up my deepest orifice, for starters.

You also said I didn't have the right to them.

I was simply trying to show you where your reasoning was off, and you got angrier and angrier.

Just curious, is all.

Continue to state my opinion.
edit on 10-1-2014 by webedoomed because: you're is not your!

Apparently, when a mod deletes part of a thread, you don't get the point to let it drop, do you?

So, apparently, you've got something of a #ard-on, gunning for me over a dead issue.

I'm really so sorry you didn't get my explanation when I gave it to you. I'm not about to repeat it. And yes, I did make that request of you. And it still stands. There's no harm in simply asking you to do something. It's entirely up to you what you do with it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
On the other hand, aren't there also messages that are telling us to be more community minded?

For example, there was guy on Oprah who had been locked in a tiny bathroom cupboard as a child for years, and his message now is that people should be more aware of who is in their neighborhood, and report kids that suddenly go missing.

Doesn't a lot of abuse and criminality also occur because people just want to mind their own business?
edit on 10-1-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

halfoldman
On the other hand, aren't there also messages that are telling us to be more community minded?

For example, there was guy on Oprah who had been locked in a tiny bathroom cupboard as a child for years, and his message now is that people should be more aware of who is in their neighborhood, and report kids that suddenly go missing.

Doesn't a lot of abuse and criminality also occur because people just want to mind their own business?
edit on 10-1-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

Obviously there are times where you need to defend those that cannot defend themselves. Obviously we live in a community. My father moved us to Alaska in 1970 and intentionally lived where we had no neighbors. I don't want to live like that.

What I am talking about really, is about the judgmental attitude folks seem to so easily take. You're gay, I don't like you. You're white, I don't like you. You're not a member of my religion, so I don't like you. You're not like me, so I don't like you. What I am suggesting is that we simply let each other live the lives we want to live, in peace. Without feeling the need to judge. That's what I mean by minding your own business, really.

The concept of where an individuals rights begin and end, really, is a mindset towards learning to live and let live. Something to think about when you do things. By cutting down my trees, is it going to somehow impact my neighbor? Would I appreciate it if he did it to me? Should I cut this guy off simply so I can get one care length ahead and all of about twelve feet closer to my destination? Am I THAT important, and that much more important than the other person?

I simply try to look at things like this in life. That's all.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

zeroBelief[/I]

- My rights end where yours begin, yours end where mine begin
- What I do that doesn't harm myself or others, isn't up for review by others
- I do not have the right to judge others for their actions that do not harm others
- We would all be better off if we tried to live with this credo

To further reflect OP

Perceptions of reality may differ per subjective evaluation and the objectivity of it ALL may at times be challenged amongst evaluating groups.

There are many paths that will eventually lead to the same point, some may have experience on more of these paths then others during the EXISTENCE journeys.
Still some may try to alert others of potential experiences associated with behaviors and activities but if aware that the alert is avoided/denied/feared/ignored then the experiences must be permitted, otherwise a force is felt by the alerted...

If its observed from 1z perspective that another is about to harm another, evaluate and respond to the situation as if you were in the shoes of the potential harmed, and respond or not accordingly...

Discussing-Speculating there is A judge influence, 1 feels the can see directly into ALL* consciously to determine agenda-goals-intent-truth of the viewed.
The ability allows for a sharper EYE for the imposter or hide kind energy who may present themselves in a well kept shell but internally is in heavy LACK or is hiding something potentially deceptive.
So to judge would require a heightened awareness of Objective reality in these terms to better see.

If an accurate high percentage conscious read to better determine Intent or TRUTH on the being(s) attempting to be judged or evaluated is not obtainable then ultimately what is the intent to judge knowing & accepting ignorance's associated with not see objectively beyond what the subjective perception of reality processes?

AM I right to Judge any w/o the ability to see within their conscious mind or is it ultimately a job done as the paths meet at that point?

The farmer didn't know Fred reached the points before he... So now is it wrong for Fred to feed off the farmer from there? The farmer still sees w/ light here Fred sees from there w/?perception, who was is wrong was is either wrong Fred & friends or the farmers and their consumers?

Something's to consider

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I do appreciate that view very much, and I wish more people thought along those lines.

However, the topic makes me think about some other issues and approaches too.

I'm not sure that black/white, gay/straight judgements are the most common forms of anxiety any more on a daily basis.

People are also worried about looks and maintaining youth, and looking good and successful.

Perhaps one could say that gossip and judgement (or fear of judgement) also drives productivity.

However, it's a kind of underlying judgement, that's more motivated by issues that are not yet on the surface.

I think there are real gender anxieties about not measuring up to the ever demanding "standard" of femininity and masculinity.

Simplistically put, men develop bigorexia, and women anorexia.

In that sense people don't mind their own business, but not in the sense of discriminating against minorities, but rather in that they feel a constant need for comparison with others - almost like they're on a social and physical scale.

Perhaps it has always been like that a bit, but nowadays magazines and the beauty/food/supplement industries encourage it to pathological degrees.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

"My rights end where yours begin, yours end where mine begin"
Thinking on that line of thought: I have a right to the freedom of speech. You have a right to the freedom of speech. My right to freedom of speech ends where yours starts. My thought on that is that doesn't make any sense. I could try more examples but are not principles are always supposed to work, which is what makes them principles.

"What I do that doesn't harm myself or others, isn't up for review by others"
Disagreed. What everyone does is up for review by everyone else. Review is a thought processes, and there are no thought crimes in a civilized society.

"I do not have the right to judge others for their actions that do not harm others."
Judgement has multiple meanings. If by judgement you mean a thought process that determines with someone has done something, then no I do not agree this is a good idea. If by judgement you mean outlining a mandatory punishment, then also no, because most people consent to be judged.

"We would all be better off if we tried to live with this credo"
No, we would not be better off if why tried living with that credo for the reasons I outline above.

The statements you use to describe your political philosophies, which I'd guess we generally agree on, need improvement.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
OP,

if this is your personal credo then I say we need more people to think this way.

Self empowerment comes from changing our own world, hence it reflects on the rest of the world.

Peace,

RT

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

fractal2

"My rights end where yours begin, yours end where mine begin"
Thinking on that line of thought: I have a right to the freedom of speech. You have a right to the freedom of speech. My right to freedom of speech ends where yours starts. My thought on that is that doesn't make any sense. I could try more examples but are not principles are always supposed to work, which is what makes them principles.

"What I do that doesn't harm myself or others, isn't up for review by others"
Disagreed. What everyone does is up for review by everyone else. Review is a thought processes, and there are no thought crimes in a civilized society.

"I do not have the right to judge others for their actions that do not harm others."
Judgement has multiple meanings. If by judgement you mean a thought process that determines with someone has done something, then no I do not agree this is a good idea. If by judgement you mean outlining a mandatory punishment, then also no, because most people consent to be judged.

"We would all be better off if we tried to live with this credo"
No, we would not be better off if why tried living with that credo for the reasons I outline above.

The statements you use to describe your political philosophies, which I'd guess we generally agree on, need improvement.

Thanks for the chuckle

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Realtruth
OP,

if this is your personal credo then I say we need more people to think this way.

Self empowerment comes from changing our own world, hence it reflects on the rest of the world.

Peace,

RT

By and large, yes, it is my personal credo. It's how I was raised. It's how I wished more people would try to live.

I do what I can to try to understand others viewpoints. To accept them. To live and let live in peace. I find it ridiculously amazing how few attempt to return the favor.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
One thing that may be of interest....

As I grow older, I find myself adopting more of an approach to life that is close to what would be called Buddhism. I see many, many similarities in it, and what I feel is the truth in things.

Notice I did not call my self a Buddhist, a budding Buddhist (sorry, couldn't resist), or say I believe in Buddhism.

Rather, I see parallels in my thoughts and the philosophy as a whole.

I am far from an angelic person, nor even saintly. I have kindness in me, as well as something that can only be regarded as Schadenfreude. I am equal parts man and animal. I accept this. I look to balance this, and balance my life with that which I am surrounded by. I merely want to respond appropriately, and not over-react to stimulus that I encounter day in, day out.

What I divulged as being my own credo, is the essence of my thoughts. It is how I attempt to live life. There are examples of my success and failure at this. Time will tell if it is a worthwhile credo, or not.
edit on 10-1-2014 by zeroBelief because: kinda forgot an "are"....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Amen, Brother. Amen.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I try to follow this credo.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
the alleged virtues of this way of thinking are putting a strain on our society, evidenced by ever increasing personal isolation in bubble-wrapped digital narcissism. people judge. its what we do. it is useless to try to stop, or to punish yourself for doing so.

on the other hand, i certainly do not esteem myself so highly that i would attempt to enforce my judgments upon other people. but neither will i apologise for them or pretend that they do not exist.

lets have an example:

a kid goes out into the world dressed all in black with nappy hair and piercings and mascara, etc. usually he does not directly say so, but his behavior certainly communicates the statement, "i dont care what you think. this is who i am. screw you, you judgemental jerk." but this is a twisted mindwarp. i have only judged him according to the same criteria upon which he made the decision to present himself in such a way to society.

in other words, he has an implicit understanding that his presentation will elicit a certain response from people. and then when he senses that he is receiving that response which he has carefully crafted, he pins the blame on ME.... all the while telling himself and others that "he doesnt care what i think."

if he didnt care what i think, he wouldnt present himself that way. narcissism is defined as 'the confidence of those whom have no confidence'. here is what i say: GET OVER YOURSELF!

following the 'creed' of the OP is a swift path to a grey mire of mediocrity. we all should be less hesitant to slap the hand away that is attempting to pull us up. equally, we should remain aware of the surety of our own footing. you cannot pull someone up unless you have an acute awareness of the terrain.

most likely, you too are standing in the mud.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I agree completely...one that I think you should add to the list of "golden rules" would be "live and let live"

Its interesting how some value minding their own business but throw that value system out the window when they get the opportunity to try and be a hero. In terms of "saving the planet" or "saving humanity" or "saving the animals" etc...heroic endeavors to do the exact opposite of mind ones own business...

The problem with simply stating "mind ones own business" is that people interpret what exactly their business IS differently...
As you can see through some of the posts here...if you crap in the woods that could potentially be construed as someone else s business because they live on the same earth...there isn't a clear universal line here...its more like a croshay of boundaries...7 billion different boundaries roughly...

So while I agree its best to mind ones own business its not necessarily a philosophy that is interpreted or understood and applied universally.

I know people who think spying on the neighbors is their business because they share the same street...or that how they parent is their business because their kids go to the same school...

The problem with this philosophy is that it requires one to give the benefit of the doubt to complete strangers in a world ran by fear...people would rather spy and be spied on under the illusion that is makes them safer...

Lets take the "spiritually awake crowd" that have a paradoxical philosophy where by they don't judge others because they "don't know their journey" but judge to the hell-fire anyone who wan'ts a PlayStation 4 while people in Africa are starving...

While I agree completely with live and let live philosophy...the interpretation of that is skewed 7 billion different ways.

I'll end with this...
In a world rampant with fear where potential harm is perceived around every corner...everything is everyone's business...so we can conceptually be in a state where people ARE minding their own business...but the experiential outcome is the exact opposite.

Once again this all roots back to FEAR...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by MadHatter364

The unnecessary agencies like the NSA, the EPA, etc.

Alphabets ... you see?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Here's a bit of a prosaic example. You go out to dinner, the other person picks up the tab. Do you have a right to tell them 'oh you're tipping too much/ too little. NO!!

Yet we all have the urge to butt in even in simple matters. It's a learning process and it's all about mastering your 'self'.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

CretumOrbis

Amen, Brother. Amen.

Thanks, I appreciate it

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

tgidkp
the alleged virtues of this way of thinking are putting a strain on our society, evidenced by ever increasing personal isolation in bubble-wrapped digital narcissism. people judge. its what we do. it is useless to try to stop, or to punish yourself for doing so.

on the other hand, i certainly do not esteem myself so highly that i would attempt to enforce my judgments upon other people. but neither will i apologise for them or pretend that they do not exist.

lets have an example:

a kid goes out into the world dressed all in black with nappy hair and piercings and mascara, etc. usually he does not directly say so, but his behavior certainly communicates the statement, "i dont care what you think. this is who i am. screw you, you judgemental jerk." but this is a twisted mindwarp. i have only judged him according to the same criteria upon which he made the decision to present himself in such a way to society.

in other words, he has an implicit understanding that his presentation will elicit a certain response from people. and then when he senses that he is receiving that response which he has carefully crafted, he pins the blame on ME.... all the while telling himself and others that "he doesnt care what i think."

if he didnt care what i think, he wouldnt present himself that way. narcissism is defined as 'the confidence of those whom have no confidence'. here is what i say: GET OVER YOURSELF!

following the 'creed' of the OP is a swift path to a grey mire of mediocrity. we all should be less hesitant to slap the hand away that is attempting to pull us up. equally, we should remain aware of the surety of our own footing. you cannot pull someone up unless you have an acute awareness of the terrain.

most likely, you too are standing in the mud.

It would appear as though you have a fairly high regard for yourself.

Thanks for the chuckle

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Sly1one

I agree completely...one that I think you should add to the list of "golden rules" would be "live and let live"

Its interesting how some value minding their own business but throw that value system out the window when they get the opportunity to try and be a hero. In terms of "saving the planet" or "saving humanity" or "saving the animals" etc...heroic endeavors to do the exact opposite of mind ones own business...

The problem with simply stating "mind ones own business" is that people interpret what exactly their business IS differently...
As you can see through some of the posts here...if you crap in the woods that could potentially be construed as someone else s business because they live on the same earth...there isn't a clear universal line here...its more like a croshay of boundaries...7 billion different boundaries roughly...

So while I agree its best to mind ones own business its not necessarily a philosophy that is interpreted or understood and applied universally.

I know people who think spying on the neighbors is their business because they share the same street...or that how they parent is their business because their kids go to the same school...

The problem with this philosophy is that it requires one to give the benefit of the doubt to complete strangers in a world ran by fear...people would rather spy and be spied on under the illusion that is makes them safer...

Lets take the "spiritually awake crowd" that have a paradoxical philosophy where by they don't judge others because they "don't know their journey" but judge to the hell-fire anyone who wan'ts a PlayStation 4 while people in Africa are starving...

While I agree completely with live and let live philosophy...the interpretation of that is skewed 7 billion different ways.

I'll end with this...
In a world rampant with fear where potential harm is perceived around every corner...everything is everyone's business...so we can conceptually be in a state where people ARE minding their own business...but the experiential outcome is the exact opposite.

Once again this all roots back to FEAR...

First of all, thank you for your well thought out response to my post. I for sure appreciate it.

I understand your thoughts regarding fear, and it's importance with regards to the thoughts I imply in my credo.

I think that much of the confusion garnered by my credo is the fact that there is far more to it other than what is at first apparent.

For instance, when I say "mind your own business"....am I saying to ignore? No. Not at all. Many are also taking the intent of my credo as an absolute, as something inflexible. As meant to be something followed to it's end in spite of itself. As with anything in life, it is a tool. It is not the path, or the destination. It must be constantly regarded, reviewed, and tested.

The only reason why I even thought to post it in such an open forum is because it is something that has consistently proven itself to me in merit time after time.

One last thought..."minding your own business"....The way I see it, the folks who commented here negatively to what I've had to say....well, are not minding their own business. They clearly feel the need to attempt to "correct" my viewpoint, rather than simply allow me to be. My credo doesn't hurt them. It doesn't threaten them, at least not in any other way than possibly intellectually.

It is not a credo that is out to hurt anyone. For instance, it does not say anything to the effect of "For me to live, X must die" or "For me to live, X must be eradicated". It simply asks that one respect themselves and their own limits with regards to anothers.

If I am so deluded, why not just smile, and walk on? Rather than living and let live. At no point did I suggest that anyone be forced to see things he way I did, or that they should. I also clearly stated at the beginning of the thread that I was curious as to who agreed with this credo. Yet, folks feel compelled to offer up their opinion clearly where it wasn't wanted, needed, or invited.
edit on 11-1-2014 by zeroBelief because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Maverick7

Here's a bit of a prosaic example. You go out to dinner, the other person picks up the tab. Do you have a right to tell them 'oh you're tipping too much/ too little. NO!!

Yet we all have the urge to butt in even in simple matters. It's a learning process and it's all about mastering your 'self'.

Heh

Funny that you bring this up. I spent much of a former life waiting tables and bartending. I have an almost bottomless well of empathy for folks who are in service professions. I ask for very little from them, and tend to go overboard on tipping....knowing that it may be my tip that makes the difference between a bad shift and a not so bad shift. Or a good shift and a great shift. Now, before folks go bananas, no, I do not reward bad service. I just have a set guideline for what I expect, and it's actually rather straightforward and easy for an experienced server to meet the criteria.

Honestly, whereas I've been with folks who I felt didn't tip enough in the past I didn't challenge them on it. Rather, I made an effort to quietly excuse myself and return to make up the difference in what I felt would have been an appropriate tip. No need to upset or insult the person doing the paying. Even my closest friends who are "crap" tippers...I've never once told them my opinion or challenged theirs, other than to blatantly acknowledge that I myself am an overboard tipper because of my shared past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join