It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypervelocity Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Jan. 9, 2014 — An international team of astronomers has discovered a surprising new class of "hypervelocity stars" -- solitary stars moving fast enough to escape the gravitational grasp of the Milky Way galaxy.

"These new hypervelocity stars are very different from the ones that have been discovered previously," said Vanderbilt University graduate student Lauren Palladino, lead author on the study. "The original hypervelocity stars are large blue stars and appear to have originated from the galactic center. Our new stars are relatively small -- about the size of the sun -- and the surprising part is that none of them appear to come from the galactic core."

"It's very hard to kick a star out of the galaxy," said Holley-Bockelmann. "The most commonly accepted mechanism for doing so involves interacting with the supermassive black hole at the galactic core. That means when you trace the star back to its birthplace, it comes from the center of our galaxy. None of these hypervelocity stars come from the center, which implies that there is an unexpected new class of hypervelocity star, one with a different ejection mechanism."

www.sciencedaily.com...

Ok, these are hypervelocity stars do not come from the galatic center, so if they are not interacting with any massive black hole, they have a different ejection mechanism, so what kind of mechanism is this ?! ....

Now let me put my lunatic part of the brain to work and imagine these stars are huge spaceships. Hope our Sun is not one of them and sundenlly engage it`s gears

edit on 10-1-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This might be good evidence in support of the Dark Matter. Dark Matter interacts gravitationally, and those stars might have come close to some massive concentrations of it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I wonder if interaction with any "average" black hole (i.e., not necessarily a super-massive one) could cause a star to accelerate to these hypervelocities if the star interacts closely enough (distance-wise) with that average black hole.

I really have no idea, but I'm just throwing that out there.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

wildespace
This might be good evidence in support of the Dark Matter. Dark Matter interacts gravitationally, and those stars might have come close to some massive concentrations of it.

It is also true that the outer parts of our galactic disc spins more quickly than the inner parts (i.e., opposite of how a whirlpool rotates on Earth, where the faster rotation of a whirlpool is near the center). This is also thought to possibly be caused by a dark matter halo around the perimeter of the galaxy.

edit on 1/10/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm gonna go out on a galactic limb here and say giant sun sized wormholes.big ass wormholes...star entered gained speed.came out on the other side ...giant wormholes.. it's all I got

Interesting
edit on 10-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I'm sure they probably already thought of this, but, is it possible that these stars were ejected from a different galaxy, via its galactic core, and traveled to our galaxy? Or were they able to successfully trace all of them back to their birthplace? Interesting. Thanks for sharing bud!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

wildespace
It is also true that the outer parts of our galactic disc spins more quickly than the inner parts (i.e., opposite of how a whirlpool rotates on Earth, where the faster rotation of a whirlpool is near the center). This is also thought to possibly be caused by a dark matter halo around the perimeter of the galaxy.

That is backwards it is spinning faster at the center...Actually a little more complicated then that...
edit on 10-1-2014 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Star cannons.

Has to be star cannons.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Now that astronomers and astrophysicists know that this occurs I'd think they'd be looking at other galaxies to see if there are stars speeding away from their gravitational pull. Does anyone here know if that search has been ongoing? Thanks.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

abeverage

That is backwards it is spinning faster at the center...Actually a little more complicated then that...

Oh thank you for saying that. I was going to have to rethink EVERYTHING!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

I wonder if the stars which are escaping their galaxies have planetary systems, and if these planets will eventually be shown to have properties unique to their velocity and parent-star activity.

top topics

join