It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargazing Live - BBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Stargazing Live
My favourite show that only has 3 episodes a year has inspired so many to take up astronomy in the last few years and has recently been very active in getting everyone around the globe into taking part in deep space research.

through SpaceWarps everyone can help go through images of deep space to help identify galaxies using something called Gravitational lens where the gravity of oh so distant galaxies bend the light in a way that you are seeing a magnification of possibly x10.
When stargazing live announced the project they were hoping for about 500,000 images to be looked though by people like you and me over the course of a few days but reached that target in less than half an hour. because of some interesting finds that people have made many of the radio telescopes around the world turned to face some of these distant galaxies.

The show also had some interesting interviews with astronauts Walter Cunningham and Chris Hadfield, also the scientists behind the newly launched Gaia probe which is designed to catalogue over 1 billion objects to create a precise 3D map of the milky way.

If you're into space exploration I recommend you take a look, this years episodes are still available on BBC-i player and the older ones you can find some on youtube.. also if you're in the uk they have set up many astronomy events all around the uk through the year that you may want to get involved with.

Space is beautiful and I can't wait to see what opportunities the next few years of advancement brings us.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here is the first of three episodes from this year.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I been watching it too. Shame its only 3 episodes.

BBC should can the crap like eastenders and make more of these.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I know, theres so much crap on tv that gets high ratings and as soon as something even slightly education shows, people switch off. we're living the prequel to idiocracy. well im just looking forward to the first stargazing event in my area, gotta wait a few months though but there should be a nice meteor shower from it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You can't go wrong with Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. Both are very smart and likable.

Cox can explain even complex concepts using layman's terms that almost anyone with a decent basic education can understand WITHOUT dumbing it down (such as the way Michio Kaku dumbs things down WAYYYY too much to the point of not giving us any real new insights).

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

crazyewok
I been watching it too. Shame its only 3 episodes.

BBC should can the crap like eastenders and make more of these.

NOOOOOO!!!!

I like this show but I LOVE 'stenders! I became addicted when I lived over there and have friends send me DVDs of episodes now.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

You can't go wrong with Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. Both are very smart and likable.

Cox can explain even complex concepts using layman's terms that almost anyone with a decent basic education can understand WITHOUT dumbing it down (such as the way Michio Kaku dumbs things down WAYYYY too much to the point of not giving us any real new insights).

Michio Kaku is used to speaking to an American audience so it's a little different.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

JadeStar

NOOOOOO!!!!

I like this show but I LOVE 'stenders! I became addicted when I lived over there and have friends send me DVDs of episodes now.

Really? Really?

Next you will say you enjoyed our reality TV

JadeStar

Michio Kaku is used to speaking to an American audience so it's a little different.

Il take that as a compliment to the British people

new topics

top topics

join