It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare: Workplace disaster ahead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Get ready for the real disaster to unfold.

Pretty soon the insurance policies that don't quite make the new ObamaCare minimum standard rules will be chopped off and new plans costing more will be thrown at the employers for consideration.

Many companies will have no choice because of the 50 full time employee formulas.

The smaller companies however will be able to cut off workers and send them to the exchanges. Some could be sporty and offer employees the plans but tell them to pay the whole bill.

Many companies will limit full time and encourage part time hiring.

Perhaps some good companies will give raises to make up the differences. The story says insurance is costing companies around $2/hour.

Whatever happens, the workers will be the big losers because the rates are going up up and away, and insurance is getting more and more complicated by the day it seems.

The massive state of confusion and uncertainty we already have with just a couple of million people affected will progress geometrically this year to perhaps an unmanageable disaster not to even mention the people who might just opt out altogether.

Obamacare: Workplace disaster ahead

In 2014, 25 to 30 million Americans with employer-provided health insurance are likely to lose it, thanks to Obamacare’s requirement that all plans cover what Washington deems “essential benefits.” Some employers will consider this unaffordable, so after their current lower-cost plans expire over the course of the year, they’ll drop coverage altogether.

These 25 to 30 million are in addition to 6 million who bought plans in the individual market and had them canceled by Jan. 1. The plights of these 6 million made headline news and caused the first cracks in the Democratic Party’s support for the law. The bigger wave of workplace cancellations will force Democrats seeking reelection this fall to defend a law that harms twice as many people as it helps.

That’s right. At least twice as many will lose coverage in 2014 as will gain it.

Thinking Solutions ...
's

anybody?

Politicians...Bueller Bueller?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Funny. While in Québec they want to make it illegal for an employer to ask a worker to bring a note from a doctor if he suffers from the flu to limit infections of other patients or hospital staff. Of course the smaller enterprise will suffer greatly from this since everyone will be able to take a day off free of any repercutions.
edit on 12014Fridayam131Fri, 10 Jan 2014 01:21:03 -0600America/Chicagov21 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

edit on 12014Fridayam131Fri, 10 Jan 2014 01:22:02 -0600America/Chicagov22 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I am dreading the arrival of October. The company that I work for has less than 50 employees. I have talked with the owner about what we. Might do. If the increase is substantial enough, we will no longer offer health insurance as a benefit.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
And, in addition to workers losing out this year, look for retirees nationwide to lose coverage.
Retirees are not part of the mandate and any that currently have coverage could lose it.
Especially as companies and municipalities/government agencies look to save money.

(Chicago and Detroit are but two examples.)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

butcherguy

I am dreading the arrival of October. The company that I work for has less than 50 employees. I have talked with the owner about what we. Might do. If the increase is substantial enough, we will no longer offer health insurance as a benefit.

Why ... isn't ... everyone ... doing ... this???

butcherguy ... yours is the BEST post I saw on ATS all day. Too bad everyone is NOT going to see it. There are so many people out there simply wringing their hands and waiting on Fate. If you know your situation is untenable ... time to look at alternate venues.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
My insurance, (group plan from employer) is going to come to an end in May. In the letter sent to the owners of the company, it claimed our insurance is "too elite"
Can you believe this? Getting cut, because we don't pay enough money for the service we get.
The company I work for is very family oriented and offers good insurance because of this. My employers have eaten costs of insurance increases in the past, to keep their employees happy.
It's a shame that a family centered company like the one I work for,(one is doing it "right") is falling victim to this garbage.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Snarl

butcherguy

butcherguy ... yours is the BEST post I saw on ATS all day. Too bad everyone is NOT going to see it. There are so many people out there simply wringing their hands and waiting on Fate. If you know your situation is untenable ... time to look at alternate venues.

What are the alternate venues that we can pursue? That are affordable? The whole damn situation is "untenable" IMHO. Just wait until 2015 (which would have been 2014 but due to a supposed glitch, couldn't be imposed) when a cigarette smoker will have their rates raised by 50%. Never mind about the obese or drug users. The ACA is a joke.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by o0oTOPCATo0o

That's what we're worried about. My husband works for a German corporation that is still family owned, and the family has had many health issues, so they try very hard to take care of their employees. They empathize. The health plan is very generous as a result. We're told it's one of those places you want to work.

This year, we saw no rate changes, but our deductible doubled. They are continually holding seminars and sending out letters saying they are aware of the situation and watching it closely, but we're afraid of what Obamacare will ultimately mean for us. It's a large corporation, so maybe we'll get lucky. But, I can't hold out much hope.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

StoutBroux

Snarl

butcherguy

What are the alternate venues that we can pursue? That are affordable? The whole damn situation is "untenable" IMHO. Just wait until 2015 (which would have been 2014 but due to a supposed glitch, couldn't be imposed) when a cigarette smoker will have their rates raised by 50%. Never mind about the obese or drug users. The ACA is a joke.

What my family is doing:
I am setting up a rifle range ... so I don't retire with zero future income ... totally dependent on a pension that can't be 'guaranteed'.
My wife is taking every training course possible to become a chef. People gotta eat ... and she's already an incredible cook!!
My son moved from general IT support to aviation IT.
My daughter switched her major from pre-med to chemistry for flexibility.

Everybody can be lazy. 99% of us can find one other thing than that. If you need help ... ask. I am one PM away.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Heh, you forgot one - Make friends with a doctor if possible. You might be able to then get some "good guy" care off the books.

My parents had that kind of relationship with a local shoe salesman growing up. He owned the store and knew my folks were pretty poor, so we often got the GGD (good guy discount).

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Snarl

Heh, you forgot one - Make friends with a doctor if possible. You might be able to then get some "good guy" care off the books.

My parents had that kind of relationship with a local shoe salesman growing up. He owned the store and knew my folks were pretty poor, so we often got the GGD (good guy discount).

Excellent point. The closer you are with everyone in your community ... the better off EVERYONE is going to be. That doctor you talk about might need somebody to crawl up under his house or across the roof ... you never know. You do what you can ... and amazingly ... things start going your way!!

Nobody needs to have their value defined by a government.

Everything is about perseverance and being in the right place at the right time. Proving your own value in a community is the most rewarding of experiences.

new topics

top topics

join