It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Precarious Position of the Press

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Given the rightfully placed firestorm of our "bulwark" Press for the alleged transgression of Governor Christie of New Jersey, and their constant pressure to seek the truth through persistent coverage, one has to ask the obvious. Where was this adamant and fervor when such stories as the IRS and Bengahzi? Why wasn't the press at the throats of the current Federal Administration as they are at this moment to the New Jersey Administration?

It leaves the press in a precarious position of confirming what many have already believed -- they are partisan and highly selective in their pursuit for a story. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make this a political argument. It is an observation. Emails tied high-end bureaucrats to the IRS debacle, just as they have to this current abuse of power. The difference is how the media is approaching it. In this case, the media is applying its power to the full extent and in the former, it was applied with tepid reserve, allowing the benefit of the doubt.

I am not sure how any American, right or left, could be happy with this unless they are so hyper-partisan that they agree with the level of "free-press" that is in their corner; may it be right or left.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

S&F

Errrr, because they are bought and paid for? They only provide the information and/or BS that their handlers want us to see? I mean seriously, the MSM have become nothing but a mouthpiece for propaganda, political misadventure, fluff and borderline entertainment. Why else would they think we have any interest in what Miley Beiber, Justin Cyrus or the ef'ing Kardashians are doing, really, who cares? BTW, the name swapping is deliberate because I really don't know which one of those mutants is which or belongs to who.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

While you may not make it partisan most (all?) of the MSM has already tied their fortunes to the left / progressive ideology and will do everything in their power to maintain this. I see this as simply another example of this as they seek to derail GOP presidential hope for 2016.

If they keep things like this governor's shenanigans in the limelight they don't need to discuss IRS targeting, Benghazi, NSA spying, obamacare, etc, etc. This is almost as good as that Duck Dynasty thing for them.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

The approach that they are taking now is warranted in my opinion. Political forces at play in a game that lays affect to the citizens it seeks to serve. That used to be the highlight of any newsman[woman]. Instead, it is selective and serves a purpose (as the poster who just replied has stated; money).

The position of me is this: I want this type of coverage towards this nonsense in New Jersey, but I want it also when high-level Officers of the United States also engage in political debauchery.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

It's Called Selective Reporting with an Agenda . The Press has been Bought and Paid for by TPTB for some time now .

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I agree and I wasn't really trying to find a definition of what was happening; I thought I made it clear that it was evident. My question is more to those who do not see it as this (when it is their guy receiving all the soft-ball questions), how long until a majority of Americans realize this concept of what you just posted -- that the media of this nation is only going to present that which they believe will bring them more money?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

The approach that they are taking now is warranted in my opinion. Political forces at play in a game that lays affect to the citizens it seeks to serve. That used to be the highlight of any newsman[woman]. Instead, it is selective and serves a purpose (as the poster who just replied has stated; money).

The position of me is this: I want this type of coverage towards this nonsense in New Jersey, but I want it also when high-level Officers of the United States also engage in political debauchery.

Investigative reporting is pretty straight forward, journalists might need the extra edge of additional contacts here and there, but the story is generally writable. The problem is getting it into the mainstream news. Since all of the large media outfits, TV, Radio and Print, resolve to 5 individuals or corporations controlled by the mega rich and those mega rich all belong to the same "club," nothing is getting on the mainstream media that detrimentally effects their friends. There's a major conflict of interest between what the mass media should be doing and what they don't do because of who their "friends" are.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Well , as far as Fatso Christie is concerned , all the " Hit " Pieces of News I have seen lately are because he is Alledgely a Presidential Candiate in 2016 in some peoples eyes , and the Liberal Press is just doing their Usual Job of Flaming another GOP Poser . Standard Procedure for them , personally I could Care less what they say which is usually just plain B.S. anyway......

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

how long until a majority of Americans realize this concept of what you just posted -- that the media of this nation is only going to present that which they believe will bring them more money?

Unfortunately it's the majority of Americans that are zoned on reality TV, their iPhone's and simple survival. While I believe more Americans are awakening to what's really happening to them a great majority still resemble the boiling frog.

Most people I speak to about this either don't want to hear it or acknowledge there is a problem but then hurriedly change the subject. For the most part they seem to be already beaten (no pun intended.)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Bassago

Most people I speak to about this either don't want to hear it or acknowledge there is a problem but then hurriedly change the subject. For the most part they seem to be already beaten (no pun intended.)

I think you are correct - the media is being used as a tool to effect "prior restraint" throughout the media and thus throughout the populus.
I can't relate how many times I've constructed replies here on ATS only to delete them because of some potentially "actionable" suggestions.
Many folks are already beaten into thinking only what the MSM presents for their consumption (including mind-numbing reality shows).
While I may self-censor it is done with intent and reflection - "those who fight and run away live to fight another day" would be a good analogy here, although most folks just run away looking for some sand to stick their head in, never realizing what's happened.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So what can be done? It is quite clear looking at the presented contrasts our media presents. One one hand, a situation emerges in which the IRS is caught using its insinuated powers for political purposes (allegedly) and in the other, a State Government is caught doing the same (allegedly). Both have emails, both point to some pretty top persons, yet one is jumped on as if it was Watergate all over again and the other is given only a brief few minutes of time and a large benefit of doubt.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'll say this much for them. It's an act of sheer genius when we have a president that has ordered us to buy health insurance, been caught in many lies, thinks nothing of violating the 4th Amendment and we can't get the press engaged and doing it's job to the best of it's ability until we have a traffic jam that might have been caused by a Republican governor.

top topics

join