It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's arrogance astounds me; despite our freeze, record heat persists worldwide!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

The names have changed.

It was originally called "global warming" or "man-made global warming."

Now it is just "climate change."

And there are no "climate change deniers," I don't think anyone denies that our weather patterns are changing.

There are certainly many people who disagree as to why the weather is changing.

It should be called "man-made climate change" versus "natural, cyclical climate change."

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

SaturnFX

Wrabbit2000

On matters involving atmospheric studies, I am going to go with NASA over...some random oil baron and his stooge politician

Yeah, because NASA isn't beholden to the government for its funding, right? Last I checked, the government was comprised of politicians who were funded by the wealthy, and the wealthy are primarily big business owners, corporations, and yes, even Oil Barons.

As far as I'm concerned, NASA is no more reliable than any other source since they can be dictated to by the government like any other agency, and since the current administration is rife with the global warming crowd, I'd say NASA's distributed info to the public is no more impartial than anyone else's.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

And, yes, the Southern hemisphere is experiencing a heat wave, but they just got done having some unusually brutal winter weather, especially in South America.

Your mention made me recall..This winter is what saw snowfall in Cairo and Tel Aviv both. Pics of Jerusalem looked more like a Midwestern interstate during a heavy snow storm for wrecks.

Nearly three feet of snow closed roads in and out of Jerusalem, which is set in high hills, and thousands in and around the city were left without power. Israeli soldiers and police rescued hundreds trapped in their cars by snow and ice. In the West Bank, the branches of olive trees groaned under the weight of snow.

In Cairo, where local news reports said the last recorded snowfall was more than 100 years ago, children in outlying districts capered in white-covered streets, and adults marveled at the sight, tweeting pictures of snow-dusted parks and squares. In other parts of the city, rain and hail rocketed down.
Source

The first snowstorm in a 100 years is something when some folks might suggest the same area is actually warmer for this year. I think assumptions get made where assumptions don't necessarily fit changing circumstances, eh?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

bobs_uruncle

Rezlooper
To sum up...Central North America experiences a deep freeze while the rest of the world experiences freak warm temperatures. Are we going into an Ice Age or could it at all be possible that we are experiencing global warming?

We are going into an ice-age.

Really? How so?

funny, this is supposed to be the "lull".

The ground state or normal weather of the planet is ice-ages and usually follow a ratio of about 10:1 ice-age to temperate periods (~100kyrs:10kyrs),

Um, no. There is no baseline climate. That is the point of the cycle. We are not currently in a freeze cycle.

[ Order emerges from chaos and the earth will fix itself.

Then you admit we broke it?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

SaturnFX

Wrabbit2000

On matters involving atmospheric studies, I am going to go with NASA over...some random oil baron and his stooge politician

Yeah, because NASA isn't beholden to the government for its funding, right? Last I checked, the government was comprised of politicians who were funded by the wealthy, and the wealthy are primarily big business owners, corporations, and yes, even Oil Barons.

As far as I'm concerned, NASA is no more reliable than any other source since they can be dictated to by the government like any other agency, and since the current administration is rife with the global warming crowd, I'd say NASA's distributed info to the public is no more impartial than anyone else's.

Dude, check the link. it is a simple graph compiled by nasa, but it is sourced by 200 different national private and public institutions. The world is much bigger than the united states. You will have to dismiss every country and pretty much every scientific institution in order to keep toting that line...

Who benefits from cutting emmissions? tons of people, all spread out. solar panel companies, wind turbine manufacturers, biofuel tech firms, fusion research, etc etc etc...but all unreleated. Who benefits from not cutting it? the most powerful business on earth..the few hands that run the worlds oil
You are standing up not only against science, but shoulder to shoulder with the most ruthless organization this world has ever known. Why? What is your actual mental process going on here?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

onequestion

Its arrogant to think we have more control over the weather then the cosmic ebbs and flow of the universe.

It is arrogant to think that you can do whatever you want to the planet without repercussions. It really isn't all that big, considering you can fly around it in a day.

Anybody who thinks we haven't screwed up this very small ball of mud is deeply in the stages of denial.

edit on 10-1-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

SaturnFX

Wrabbit2000

It is actually in the government's best interest to NOT have global warming. GW will cost the government far more money, with disasters already costing record billions, we could be looking at trillions. There is no revenue that could ever touch that. Not to mention any unforeseen side effects and problems, and things that are not a result of natural disasters such as increased diseases, the effects on the economy and society, etc.

It is going to be far, far, FAR more costly for everyone to have GW. Any revenue will be a drop in the bucket.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

America's arrogance....

So, what you are saying, is that despite the best efforts of the Global Banks... America isn't yeilding to their carbon tax initiative... eh?

Sounds like good news to me!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

nixie_nox

bobs_uruncle

Rezlooper
To sum up...Central North America experiences a deep freeze while the rest of the world experiences freak warm temperatures. Are we going into an Ice Age or could it at all be possible that we are experiencing global warming?

We are going into an ice-age.

Really? How so?

funny, this is supposed to be the "lull".

The ground state or normal weather of the planet is ice-ages and usually follow a ratio of about 10:1 ice-age to temperate periods (~100kyrs:10kyrs),

Um, no. There is no baseline climate. That is the point of the cycle. We are not currently in a freeze cycle.

[ Order emerges from chaos and the earth will fix itself.

Then you admit we broke it?

Nope, no admission there, I don't play turn-around well ;-) I maintain that the source of 99.9% of the earth's problems relate to the Sun and the portion of interstellar space in which we are traveling (due to changes in thermal conductivity). To presume we broke is both arrogant and narcissistic, we aren't that powerful LOL.

And then there is this priceless piece of opinion you gave;

It is actually in the government's best interest to NOT have global warming. GW will cost the government far more money, with disasters already costing record billions, we could be looking at trillions. There is no revenue that could ever touch that. Not to mention any unforeseen side effects and problems, and things that are not a result of natural disasters such as increased diseases, the effects on the economy and society, etc.

It is going to be far, far, FAR more costly for everyone to have GW. Any revenue will be a drop in the bucket.

It will cost you and me for any program involving AGW, real or fantasy, not the government. If the government wasn't involved we will pay for it anyway through increased product costs, increased bank service costs and increased energy costs. Duh!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/10.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So because it's summer time and hot in Australia global warming is true? How is that any different from saying since it's so cold in America global warming is false? There is nothing conclusive to prove anything.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

jjkenobi
So because it's summer time and hot in Australia global warming is true? How is that any different from saying since it's so cold in America global warming is false? There is nothing conclusive to prove anything.

No-one is saying that summer heatwaves in S America and Australia and record breaking mild winter weather in Europe means GW is true.

We're just saying that cold weather in parts of the USA in winter doesn't mean it isn't true

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by ketsuko

And, yes, the Southern hemisphere is experiencing a heat wave, but they just got done having some unusually brutal winter weather, especially in South America.

Your mention made me recall..This winter is what saw snowfall in Cairo and Tel Aviv both. Pics of Jerusalem looked more like a Midwestern interstate during a heavy snow storm for wrecks.

Nearly three feet of snow closed roads in and out of Jerusalem, which is set in high hills, and thousands in and around the city were left without power. Israeli soldiers and police rescued hundreds trapped in their cars by snow and ice. In the West Bank, the branches of olive trees groaned under the weight of snow.

In Cairo, where local news reports said the last recorded snowfall was more than 100 years ago, children in outlying districts capered in white-covered streets, and adults marveled at the sight, tweeting pictures of snow-dusted parks and squares. In other parts of the city, rain and hail rocketed down.
Source

The first snowstorm in a 100 years is something when some folks might suggest the same area is actually warmer for this year. I think assumptions get made where assumptions don't necessarily fit changing circumstances, eh?

The thing with this Wrabbit, is that it only bolsters the climate change claim because of the extremeness of it. Feets of snow in Jerusalem is quite extreme, I'd say. What this does verify is that there is a major increase of moisture in the atmosphere when a snowstorm can drop that amount in the desert. Of course, cooler temperature fronts will hit everywhere at certain times, but it's the overall temperature averages that are rising. When a cooler front arrives in the desert like this one and is accompanied by three feet of snow, then people should be alarmed. That's anything but "normal weather patterns," I'd think.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

jjkenobi

No, weather is weather... saying global warming is true or false without knowing what is driving particular weather is ignorance at work.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Dude I live in Brisbane Queensland, we had 2 hot days one were the temp hit 43c, this wasn't global warming, it was a set if circumstances, and it was predicted a week earlier.

It's actually been a cold summer here, last night my son snuck into bed with me because he was cold! I can't remember a summer where we had to have blankets.
edit on 10-1-2014 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

muSSang
Dude I live in Brisbane Queensland, we had 2 hot days one were the temp hit 43c, this wasn't global warming, it was a set if circumstances, and it was predicted a week earlier.

It's actually been a cold summer here, last night my son snuck into bed with me because he was cold! I can't remember a summer where we had to have blankets.
edit on 10-1-2014 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

Dude, these kind of posts are what make me wonder about shills. Come on, you live there and you're acting like you don't know what's going on in your own country. You come on here and post about being cold and needing blankets. This is what Australia is experiencing right now...you must really take people for being blind.

-Hottest year on record
-10 heat waves
- mass animal die-offs due to heat
-122 degree temp
-34 temp records in last two weeks

You're record temp in Australia is 123 degrees in 1960, and forecasters are predicting it will be broken.

Record heat in Australia

A wave of stifling heat started began around Christmas and continues to move counterclockwise across Australia's north and into the south. The latest scorcher comes on the heel of Australia’s hottest year on record.

High temperatures are now shifting into Western Australia, with large areas being “under extreme heatwave to severe heatwave.”

"Certainly looking at the forecast over the next week, it's looking like that heat is going to continue," Karly Braganza of the Bureau of Meteorology has told the AP.

Already in January, 10 heatwave conditions are expected to expand eastwards and reach parts of South Australia.

Since December 27, temperature records have been set at 34 locations across Australia, according to the Bureau.

With the absence of monsoon rains in Australia's north last summer the entire continent endured its hottest year since records began in 1910, the Bureau of Meteorology said last week. The late arrival of the monsoon in northern Australia, which has a cooling effect, is contributing to the extreme heat, Braganza said, adding that global warming also has a role in this.

The soaring temperatures have caused death and illness for thousands of animals across the country.

Bats are said to be dropping from trees en masse and kangaroos are collapsing.

"It's an enormous animal welfare concern," Louise Saunders, president of the Queensland animal welfare group Bat Conservation and Rescue told AP.

At least 50,000 bats had been killed by the heat in the southeast part of Queensland.

"As they succumb, they just fall in heaps at the base of trees," Saunders said. "You can have 250 or more — it's like dripping chocolate — all dying at the base of trees."

A large number of dead parrots, kangaroos and emus have also been found due to the extended dry conditions caused by the heat wave.

‘Yep, we fried an egg on a shovel’

To demonstrate the extreme heat, pub owner Phil Turner from the Outback town of Maree, 700 kms (435 miles) north of Adelaide in South Australia, cooked an egg in a shovel.

"You hear stories of people frying an egg on a shovel, so we set up a shovel this morning out the front and sure enough we've got an egg there that's slowly frying away," he told ABC radio.

Faced with an oven-like heat, locals are desperate to find ways to cool themselves down. Some soak in a small wading pool for much of the day; others rely on two electric fans.

Soaring temperatures have had a devastating impact on cattle farmers in Queensland, which accounts for about 50 percent of the national herd. Australia is the world's third largest beef exporter, with sales during the 2013/14 season projected to reach A$5.4 billion ($4.82 billion).

But as the heat forces farmers to send cattle to slaughter, the country’s cattle herd is predicted to fall to 25 million heads during the 2013/14 season, the lowest since the 2009/10 season, the Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics and Sciences said.

Some farmers have said that if significant rains do not fall by autumn their operations will become worthless and they would have no option but to abandon their properties, the New Zealand Herald reported.

So far, the weather outlook is not good. It is expected that the overall record high of 50.7C (123.3F) for the country set in 1960 in the south might be broken in the next few days if current conditions continue.

Sorry for the long quote but there was just too many important qoutes and information in there.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

What the hell are you talking about. The only person I hear whining about this cold snap is you. How you get off speaking for America, you look like a monkey but not the president. Which is the person we elected to speak for us. You don't speak for me.

Another bash America thread, now over weather lol. No one in America thinks the world's weather revolves around us. If we really felt like this we would just control the weather. We could easily moved the vortex with harp. But we don't because we know things don't revolve around us.

To be honest we are the leader of the world whether you like it or not. What happens here does effect the world. If bad weather effects the economy here that in turn effects the whole world. We are still the key world economic driver.

You guys really don't like living here please move, go away. We don't want whiny snivelers here anyway. Seriously...

The Bot

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

dlbott

What the hell are you talking about. The only person I hear whining about this cold snap is you. How you get off speaking for America, you look like a monkey but not the president. Which is the person we elected to speak for us. You don't speak for me.

I didn't elect him to speak for me, so why are you speaking for America claiming that "we" elected him to speak for us? I would never elect a crook like Obama to represent me.

dlbott

Another bash America thread, now over weather lol. No one in America thinks the world's weather revolves around us. If we really felt like this we would just control the weather. We could easily moved the vortex with harp. But we don't because we know things don't revolve around us.

And once again you're speaking for America by claiming no one in America thinks the weather revolves around us, but then you go on later in your post to claim that it does because we are the world economic leader. lol. Also, how do you know we didn't use HAARP to create the vortex? Seems like a win win for the natural gas (fracking) industry after a couple of slow years to hit us now with a brutal winter, right? Get those winter heating bills back up there where they belong!

dlbott

You guys really don't like living here please move, go away. We don't want whiny snivelers here anyway. Seriously...

The Bot

How does anything in my OP state that I don't love my country, the greatest country in the world. Sounds more like you're the whiny sniveler with this post. Seriously....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

LOL I'm not the OP and I'm sure he and I would disagree on many things but I didn't see this as a bash America thread. I do believe that America is the greatest country, and I live here but that doesn't mean that our leaders aren't shmucks, we are a danger to peace loving nations, we spy on everyone in the world, we are arrogant SOBs a lot of the time and nothing wrong with calling ourselves on it when we see it. It doesn't mean America isn't great. We should be allowed to take good hard looks in the mirror. There ARE many Americans that see this north American cold snap and think "Wow...I guess there is no such thing as global warming." Those idiots are who this thread is about.

And if the earth is warming...it is if you look at the long trend...why not call it Global Warming? That's what I still do. Climate Change is like political double speak that doesn't mean anything. I'm not jumping on the climate change bandwagon just because it's the PC thing to do. Now, I could be wrong but there are mountains of scientific data telling me it is. They could be wrong I know but...what can we do with so much propaganda on this from so many different agendas.

We also know that man made pollution is running a little rampant and that our greenhouse gasses do effect the climate both short and long term. How much, is the real question. We also know that our response to it ...well our leaders response to it, is the other real problem. It generally goes to putting their heads in the sand to doing something that effects us average citizens in a negative way, such as poorly thought out carbon taxes and other knee jerk reactions.

Higher gas mileage cars, green energy, better insulation, less deforestation, more recycling, better solar cell technology etc, etc......we all know that stuff is good for us and the environment and the economy. Why can't we just focus on the important stuff? hmmm
edit on 10-1-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thank you. Greatly informative perspective.

F&S&

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

You've got a really big long post with lots of data and tell me how there is record temperatures. Let me start with two questions. What was the average global temperature in 2012? What was the average global temperature in 2013?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join