It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's arrogance astounds me; despite our freeze, record heat persists worldwide!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
There is more to Global warming than just Co2, but since the taxation of co2 was implemented worldwide, that is pretty much everything people are concentrating on.
It makes it look like the government are doing something, and we(The people) are helping by paying, but in reality it's needs a lot more to balance things out.
As it looks now we are waiting to see if it changes in to more Life-threatening consequences for humans, only time will tell.

Here is a nice document explaning some of the other major things that might affect our weather, which people never think about.

Enjoy

The Effect of Localized Man-Made Heat and Moisture Sources in Mesoscale Weather Modification

But by far the most alarming development has been the substitution of rocklike, well-compacted, impermeable surfaces for vegetated soil, a development that is the natural consequence of urbanization. Square kilometer after square kilometer has yielded to the bulldozer and has been converted to buildings, highways, and parking lots. Reservoirs and irrigation also have become important.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

You are so right... at lunch today there was a table nearby with a bunch of local business men joking about global warming.... ignorant right wing yahoos. Evidence is clear that there are big changes for the planet when it comes to weather. The problem was the use and early adoption of the phrase "Global Warming" as people take any sign of cold as a slap in the face for the idea rather than understanding it should be called "Global Weather Extremes" or something of that nature instead. When the Chinese said "May you live in interesting times", it was a curse!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The one true way of gauging the results of a changing climate is your pocketbooks. As the incidence of wild weather calamities continues to climb in number, you will be seeing cities increasing their property taxes in order to pay for downed electrical distribution and other damaged infrastructure, such as burst water mains, fallen tree branches, etc. You will also see your house and car insurance rates increase as those companies are beset with huge claim costs.

For instance, the City of Toronto, hit by a severe ice storm that crippled the city over Christmas is expected to cost in excess of 100 million and a property tax increase of up to 5% is already being discussed.

We should be making that decision about what is causing it and then actually acting on it instead of denying something is happening. It's happening alright and arguing is only delaying action. The canary in the coal mine is your money.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Yet sea ice at both poles is at its highest amount since 1983, so apart from the USA, the rest of the world is warm, but both poles are cold enough to create sea ice to the amount that it was in 1983? Seems a bit odd to me, well, more that a bit odd.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

As the title suggests, we are the only part of the entire world that has the cold temps, so what happens, we here in America like to start heckling the global warming crowd that this is proof we're not warming.

Have you missed the fact that the Sun is responsible for all weather on this and every other planet or something?

And that the Sun was around 6 years late in its regular 11 year Solar cycle, and is only now starting up and starting up with a vengence?

X-Class flares and high sunspot activity make for weather changes.

As for Siberia being devoid of its usual Winter time snow...

This is a recent image from Sochi...not many wearing t-shirts and shorts as far as i can see...and Siberia, which according to you is unusually warm?

This is from a Siberian 7km fun run...3 days ago...notice anything that ight indicate its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey?

Did you think members were going to be too lazy to check for themselves or something?

I'm not sure if the arrogance you mention is 'Americas' or just confined to some of its citizens mate.

It's Winter...bad, cold and wet weather happens when it's Winter!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

In Sotchi its currently about 10-11 Celsius (50 F) and its not predicted it will go much colder in coming days (slighly colder, up to around 45 degrees withing next week but up again then).

That weather is something, where shorts and t-shirts are still ok

I agree with OP on the matter. I have also seen many posting about people thinking as if the current weather in US proved global warming wrong. That is simply ignorance, especially if we consider that US is only a small part of the world.

Here in Northern Europe, it is incredibly warm winter. I went outside basketball on January 1st... Thought I´ll do it while I can. Usually it is around -10 C (-14 F) round here during that period, sometimes slighly warmer, sometimes slightly colder, but well the fact is this year my first non-white christmas happened during my lifetime. Still it hasn´t started snowing and the temperature is around 0C (32F) to 4 degrees Celsius (40F) although it is predicted winter will come in coming weeks.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Global warming is a misunderstanding, Many people believe the entire planet will turn into something like a desert or Canada will become subtropical rainforest like florida.

I don't know this for a fact, but have read it somewhere in the past that the planet simply reacts in ways to regain something resembling equilibrium or statis, a balancing out.

Things are all knocked out of whack and off=balance by many types of pollution and massive destruction of forests and ecosystems and the like, the real balancing has not begun yet, many of our most dire mistakes are still buried and not widely known as of yet.

The worst of the damage that has been done has not yet manifested itself.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Property taxes are rising as a result of that? Somehow that strikes me as really cheap profiteering by actual cities rather than gouging business.

I'd be curious... Did property taxes see increases after Hurricaine Camille, Floyd or Andrew? Heck, Andrew erased a % of southern Florida in a way that looked like a nuclear weapon had gone off for Homestead. I wonder...did Homestead raise property taxes?

I honestly don't know...so if anyone does either way, it'd be interesting for contrast? After the major ice storm of 2007 here, which shut down everything but the trauma centers for 7-10 days? We definitely got a homeowners insurance spike within 6 months of it but no movement on property taxes. I think adding that insult to the injury of what we'd all been through in 2007 might have had exceptionally bad reactions.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

US has too many taxes. Overall taxation in US is quite high.

The problem with taxes is that it is easy to increase tax, but quite difficult to reduce, as bureaucracy always increases when taxes increase but hard to cut when suddenly tax revenue goes down.

The problem with taxes is that people have to make more money to pay higher taxes. With globalization, there is a pressure on workers, so people cannot make as much as they want or need due to outside competition.

I can bet if US stops printing money the way it does now, US economy will fall into long recession.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There certainly is talk of a tax increase and today is when we'll find out.

The Toronto flood last summer cost the city 65 million and now the ice storm will add 106 million to that. An increase of 2.5% was already on the books for normal infrastructure maintenance/repairs and the extra expense of the weather related incidents may see a further increase of another 2-3%. Both together, if passed, will add 5% to City of Toronto property taxes.

How it is impacting house and car insurance will be obvious when we renew our policies.

ETA: www.huffingtonpost.ca...

According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, the amount of insured damage resulting from extreme weather in Canada grew from less of $200 million in 2006 to $1.2 billion in 2012.

In the past year, the combination of massive flooding in Alberta in June and a one-day torrential rainfall in Toronto in July brought the overall amount of insured property damages across Canada to $3 billion.

edit on 10/1/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

alienreality
reply to post by SaturnFX

If global warming is true, then why haven't governments made "coherent" solutions to stop pollution from big industries? All that has happened so far is a bunch of BS and lies and blame with the goal of creating some huge tax scheme because it is all the civilians of the world causing it and we should pay. That sure is not coherent, it is definitely a scam and an agenda.

The real scam here, my friend, is that this is all about money...the large corporations spend fortunes to leave well enough alone. There is just too much money being made by destroying our planet that it's already too late for us. Take fracking for example...you'd have to be goofy in the head to truly believe that fracking isn't causing midwest earthquakes and nearly 9% of methane is escaping into the atmosphere while coal only loses 3%, yet, they persist and more holes are created,and why, because it's already a major part of our economy. We've become the #1 producers of natural gas on the planet and that means jobs, jobs, jobs and big bucks...heck, it even means major savings on our winter gas bills...well, the past few winters prior to this one anyways. Now, if everyone was told "we're going to quit fracking because climate changers say it's dangerous, but what do they know, and guess what, your gas bills are going to triple," what side do you think people are going to side with? They're going to say to keep the fracking because it's all about money. Just look how the corporatists got the GMO labeling bill defeated in Washington state, by scaring everyone into believing their grocery bills would go up. Nobody wants a higher bill of any kind, yet, at what cost are we truly willing to pay. IMO, it's too late anyways, there's no turning back simply for the fact that our world is all about the mighty dollar!
edit on 10-1-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

masqua
The one true way of gauging the results of a changing climate is your pocketbooks. As the incidence of wild weather calamities continues to climb in number, you will be seeing cities increasing their property taxes in order to pay for downed electrical distribution and other damaged infrastructure, such as burst water mains, fallen tree branches, etc. You will also see your house and car insurance rates increase as those companies are beset with huge claim costs.

For instance, the City of Toronto, hit by a severe ice storm that crippled the city over Christmas is expected to cost in excess of 100 million and a property tax increase of up to 5% is already being discussed.

We should be making that decision about what is causing it and then actually acting on it instead of denying something is happening. It's happening alright and arguing is only delaying action. The canary in the coal mine is your money.

Great point Masqua. You're right, it's definitely happening. How can people deny the fact that so many major weather extremes are occurring so often, and in the end, it's going to cost them plenty with rising taxes to cover the disasters. If something were done that might cost us some now, I believe it's a better pay off when at the same time, we might save humanity. This isn't some "natural cycle" that is happening over hundreds or thousands of years, something has kicked it into high gear and we're going to see drastic changes in the very near future.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

You seem to have some sort of problem with reading only what you want to read, rather than the whole of what was written. I provide links to support what I say, I do not claim anything about Siberia's weather...I'm an American, what the heck do I know about Siberia, except for the news stories that I read. Maybe you should understand very simple things such as that before you spout off nonsense!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

amazing
Yeah, I love how "winter" suddenly 'proves' there is no global warming. LOL Fools can't see past their own noses. One cold event doesn't disprove or prove global warming, yet I've got idiots on facebook posting stuff like "Negative 17 here..yep that's global warming for you!" How many times did these people get hit on the head?

What you lack in arguments you certainly make up in insults.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the detail on that. 5% in a property tax hit is no small thing, to be sure! Perhaps Canadian and American property taxes are generally directed to different things for a difference? (Or maybe I just live in an area that is late to joining the party on this..and I'll have my own little surprise in due time). I know the way mine are broken down here, the bear's share goes to funding local public schools. I'd imagine that would be a challenge for them to logically connect ..but then, even all homeowners probably don't read that breakdown here, let alone non-homeowners. So they'd likely get away with it, the more I consider it now.

Ouch.. We get it coming and going, huh? First the storms, then the financial penalty for having suffered through it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I have to admit I'm an American and I'm rather arrogant but when I'm perfect in every way how can I help it. Really were just having weather here and your having weather there. Strange but true

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There is....... no global warming. It is a cycle that the Earth goes through mostly induced by the Sun.

It has been going on for millions of years not just the past 30.

The Earth is a cold planet that warms up for a period and then slips back into the cold again.

We are at the ending of the latest warming period and are heading into a colder climate.

There is..... no global warming. It is a piece of science fiction to make money and to spend money, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Fromabove

There is....... no global warming. It is a cycle that the Earth goes through mostly induced by the Sun.

It has been going on for millions of years not just the past 30.

The Earth is a cold planet that warms up for a period and then slips back into the cold again.

We are at the ending of the latest warming period and are heading into a colder climate.

There is..... no global warming. It is a piece of science fiction to make money and to spend money, nothing more.

Well, by golly Fromabove, thanks for clearing that up for us. I feel so much better now. I'm sure glad you know-it-all

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
As global wars wind down the people who make money off them are turning to new ways of financially gouging the world's population. Long ago it was fascism, not so long ago it was communism, yesterday it was terrorism. Today and tomorrow it will be global warming. I've seen it raising its ugly head in the last decade.

Do not be deceived; Man is not powerful enough to change the climate, only our nearest star and possibly a gamma ray burst directed towards us can do that.

One day we will ALL recognize the lies and subterfuge piled upon us everyday by these underhanded people who control the papers, television and radio and most of all the internet. When we do maybe there will finally be peace here on earth, true peace.

Maybe then I can get some sleep.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
And do you know what was happening in Alaska when we had our unusally mild winter two years ago?

Oh, it was setting records for cold.

Do you know why? Because the very same polar vortex we are being blessed with was stuck over them.

And we thought we had some bad weather last year, but it was nothing compared to what happened in Europe and Russia with the cold.

And, yes, the Southern hemisphere is experiencing a heat wave, but they just got done having some unusually brutal winter weather, especially in South America.

This stuff happens. It goes in cycles, and it is called weather.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join