It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

W. Va. Gov Declares Emergency After Chemical Spill January 9th, 2014

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well, no one is allowed to know what is in the fracking formula so you can't say that unless you got some insider stuff to share ?

But news does say for cleaning and floatation of coal.

MSDS

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Looks like it could be a coal strip mining operation.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

nixie_nox
reply to post by butcherguy

It is isn't used for fracking, it is used to prep coal.

It is used to prep coal.

I would like to see your information proving that it isn't used for fracking.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

A reply I posted in other spill thread

4. Where will it reach the Atlantic ? Gulf of Mexico Elk River then Kanawha River then The Ohio River then the Mississippi ....

But as we all know dilution is the key...

MSDS has statement about special care to prevent release into environment, don't think that means put your tank on the edge of major water system...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Is this contamination intentional or was it on accident ?? Is this part of the current administration's plan for stopping fracking and removing all coal consumption/mining? Has it been staged to let us know just how dangerous non-wind and non-solar energy sources are for the environment. (Like old battery disposal and mercury filled light bulb disposal is safe?) There is so much being leaked out to the news/happening that I am having trouble keeping track of events. Which ones are important and which ones are a smoke screen? Chrisy, NSA, Fast and Furious, Bengazi, IRS, Unemployment extension, Nuclear vote, and on and on.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

(Satire) No Worries Freedom Industries has got it covered, check out the safety precautions in this pic; chemical boom in river ?, smoke in mouth (remember highly flammable) or is that new kind of respirator? and is that pipe pumping out or in ?

The leak, which was first reported at 11:40 a.m., came from a 48,000-gallon storage tank, Tom Aluise, a spokesman for West Virginia’s department of environmental protection, told The Times. “All we know is that they discovered a hole in the tank, and material was leaking,” Aluise said. “How that hole got there, we don’t know.” The Freedom Industries facility sits right on the river, about a mile upstream from a water treatment facility where the chemical contaminated the tap water, Aluise said. It wasn’t clear how much of the chemical had leaked, Aluise said. After discovering it, officials drained the rest of the tank, cleaned up the material that had leaked at the facility, and placed absorbent booms along the river, he said. “We don’t think it’s going to the river anymore,” Aluise said of the chemical. The biggest worry from the substance, he added, was if people drank it. “This material pretty much floats on the water, and it’s floating downstream, and eventually it will dissipate, but you can’t actually get in there and remove it,” he said.] www.latimes.com...

LA Times best coverage ? Why ?
Still no estimate on how much !

Spill was in morning state capital shut down and notices 5 pm when smell was so bad legislature closed, doesn't sound like just a couple gallons to me...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There was just another update /news conference from West Virginia American Water. Fema, Homeland Security and the Air National Guard are now in towns with clean water supplies. Fema & DHS are using their mobile water testing facilities to test water throughout the area.
There is still no timetable for when the water supply will be clean to use for anything other than toilet and fighting fires.
All restaurants, day cares, schools, tattoo parlors among other things are closed until further notice.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Just to note there are 2 other threads on this if you live near there I suggest reading all three to get as much information as possible. Unless you trust the news...

reply to post by gimmefootball400 We all should seek the truth about this. Just watched a NBC national noon news feed that said ,"2 gallons into the river". NY Times article claims 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol ," non-toxic". Best story, most information is from the LA Times. Local information is the best, unless there economic motive to paint a rosy pic. I live on the Gulf and will add it to our chemical soup list.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

I ask the experts, quake watch 2014 thread,

reply to post by donlashway Hello. The earthquakes shown on your image above are 99% mining blasts/or drilling related. As for the ANF earthquake map in general, I recommend that you do not use it. It regularly lists phantom quakes (they didn't really happen) that can, and have, scared the poop sauce out many people. The only pages I use from that site are the "Orbmanrtd"--screenshots of entire regions/networks, such as Cascadia or Chile. For general earthquake lists, stick with: USGS, EMSC, REV, IRIS Earthquake Browser, IRIS - Wilber , or see Puterman's signature for QVS... edit on 1/10/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given) edit on 1/10/2014 by Olivine because: add a few links "The Lotus blooms most beautifully from the deepest and thickest mud" --Buddhist proverb

ATS Quake watch 2014
That's the cool thing about ATS !!!
edit on 10-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

From other thread
ATS Westcoast reply in State of Emergency WV

All this said, the concentration of the 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol would likely be small enough to avoid major health issues. In other words, the contaminant would be diluted as it moves downstream thru major rivers, such that the concentration of the chemical would be muted/diluted. Late last night FEMA officials confirmed Dr. C's notion that the risks were not overwhelming, rather more inconveniencing. Then came word from Kanawha County Emergency Manager C.W. Sigman that while 2 to 5 thousand gallons of contaminant spilled,not all made it into the Elk River and hence into the WV American Water treatment plant. Given the enormous diluting water capacity of the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers downstream from the spill, frankly that sounds like a small amount of chemical, the concentration of the chemical not with-standing.. So I will employ the age old adage when it comes to events like this; namely, the solution to pollution is dilution. This suggests with a high probability that Ohio River communities will not be affected as the dilutive effects of the Great Kanawha and Mighty Ohio act in our favor.

WSAZ3
2-5000 gallons how bad can it be ?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I saw that same photo and thought....wtf is that guy even trying at this point lol....like putting a band aid on someone who is decapitated.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

I am in the area of the spill. It was 4-methylcyclohexane methanol. Several of my friends drank contaminated water when the warning was limited to 5 counties, now it is extended to 9 (and one friend was in a county that still isnt listed, but described the same taste as the two that drank water that were in listed counties. They all said it tasted like cough syrup.).

thread

The National Guard is coming to the area to bring bottled water apparently.
edit on 10-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

I hope your friends are ok. This company is going to have lawsuits coming out their ass. Well deserved, I am against frivolous bull crap lawsuits, but this is not one of them.. I also hope your friends and people affected own a piece of this company (provided God forbid they don't die or have liver failure) .

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

The chemical was used in processing coal.. it would most likely originate from a coal mining operation.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Best of luck to all those affected.
Is there's a donation site set up?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This is a mess. They have no idea what they are doing. Also it could have been leaking for weaks. It wasn't an observed leak.. it was just reported after someone smelled it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

They are saying 2-5000. My guess would be much higher considering no one noticed the leak. It leaked until it got so bad people could smell it.

People i know are saying the smell is very very strong in downtown Charleston.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The West Virginia National Guard has been running hourly tests on the chemical's concentration since Thursday night. A safe level is 1 part per million. The level has dropped from 2 to 1.7 parts per million, said Maj. Gen. James A. Hoyer, Adjutant General of West Virginia. At 0.1 parts per million, the licorice smell and green tint would disappear from the water, Hoyer said. Even at its current concentrations, however, the chemical is unlikely to cause any serious harm, Ziemkiewicz said. "You'd have to drink something like 1,700 gallons of water to even approach a lethal dose," he said. If a person drank a glass or two of tainted water, "I would be astonished if that caused any serious problems." --- Associated Press researchers Rhonda Shafner and Monika Mathur in New York and AP writers Mitch Weiss, John Raby and Pam Ramsey in Charleston; Ray Henry in Atlanta; and John Flesher in Traverse City, Mich., contributed to this report.

If we knew where there were taking the readings we could find out river flow and come up with a spill number. Getting more coverage.

At 0.1 parts per million, the licorice smell and green tint would disappear from the water, Hoyer said. Even at its current concentrations, however, the chemical is unlikely to cause any serious harm, Ziemkiewicz said. "You'd have to drink something like 1,700 gallons of water to even approach a lethal dose," he said. If a person drank a glass or two of tainted water, "I would be astonished if that caused any serious problems."

Think MSNM using different MSDS than the one I found saying,

Danger Highly flammable liquid and vapour. May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.

MSDS

All MSDS for the same product should be the same right, think again...

edit on 10-1-2014 by donlashway because: MSDS

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It said it could be a respiratory or stomach irritant. To me that says it has the potential to cause serious problems.
If you are tasting and smelling it.. that's a dangerous concentration. If it is actually changing the color of the water that is a very high and dangerous concentration.

I like how they are talking about the dilution. Yeah, sure, maybe after it's traveled a hundred miles, but the people right nearby are going to get very high concentrations. If they are smelling it in the air in Charleston imagine what their water is like.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

This part

Carcinogenicity IARC: No component of this product present at levels greater than or equal to 0.1% is identified as probable, possible or confirmed human carcinogen by IARC. Reproductive toxicity no data available Specific target organ toxicity - single exposure May cause drowsiness or dizziness. Specific target organ toxicity - repeated exposure no data available Aspiration hazard May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. Potential health effects Inhalation Ingestion May be harmful if inhaled. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness. May be harmful if swallowed. Aspiration hazard if swallowed - can enter lungs and cause damage. Skin May be harmful if absorbed through skin. Causes skin irritation. Signs and Symptoms of Exposure prolonged or repeated exposure can cause:, narcosis

Aspiration hazard May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.

You could drown in it ?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

They say it is a respiratory irritant.
On my thread you might want to scope out some of the new info. Turns out the containment wall the company at fault had in place needed over a million dollars in repair - and so comes the law suit.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join