It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember the Former Marine Who Opened Fire After an Arizona Couple Pulled a Gun on a Sears Employee?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Remember the Former Marine Who Opened Fire After an Arizona Couple Pulled a Gun on a Sears Employee? Police Have Submitted Charges…Against Him.

Maricopa County, Arizona, may be infamous because of its sheriff, Joe Arpaio, but it could gain another reputation with concealed-carry supporters after it’s now been revealed police officers in the city of Glendale have submitted charges to the county attorney against a former Marine who intervened in an armed robbery last Friday.

Remember the Former Marine Who Opened Fire After an Arizona Couple Pulled a Gun on a Sears Employee?

Now this one just pisses me off to no end. This man sees robbers pulling a gun on innocent people and does what a MAN should do and took action. He fired four shots (all missed) at the robbers before they escaped on a motorcycle.
The article says the robbers used a toy gun with the orange tip painted over. This former marine now faces a felony charge of unlawful discharge of a firearm.\

IMO had it been a ten police officers that had been there this couple would have had over 100 rounds fired at them and certainly be dead. If this story does not expose a serious and egregious double standard noting does.

I guess if TPTB can't just take our guns they will make us afraid to use them. This is such a load of excrement I have a hard time writing this. HE was prtecting others from violence as he was trained to do. Being a Marine I imagine he was also trained far better than the people charging him.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I live in Arizona and this blows my mind. I was almost in the same situation a couple days prior to this incident. I was driving home from work on nye at just after 2 in the afternoon. I was almost home getting ready to turn north on 56th st from Indian school. That's when a police chase passed me. The car trying to flee tried to turn south on 56th st and crashed. The passenger got out and took off running south. When I looked back, the officer and gentlemen whose truck was hit by the fleeing car, were trying to wrestle the driver to the ground. That is when the driver of the fleeing car gained control of the police officers weapon and shot both gentlemen.
This blows my mind because I saw the whole thing happen. I was sitting in my truck in the middle of the intersection thinking I need to help. I had my .45 in my hand ready to jump out and help. There were so many things going thru my head. Do I get out with my gun, do I chase the passenger, do I help wrestle the driver down to the ground. Eventually I did nothing and watched as this thug shot the officer and civilian trying to help.
There were so many concerns. I did not want to be outside with my gun when the next officer arrived for an officer down call. If I would have gotten out to help wrestle I would have ran across the street and arrived right when the suspect gained control of the gun and who knows what could have happened. I always prepare and feel like I could handle a situation like that. I froze, did nothing, watched. I did not know my rights and what I could and couldn't so. My main concerns at the time were being there with a gun when responding officers arrived and if I could legally help. I did not want to shoot the perp and get used or charged for doing so. After the fact, my concern was if I got out to help I would have been arriving right when the suspect gained control of he gun and who knows what could happen

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

News flash: LEOs place themselves above the law and few seriously challenge that placement and survive with lives intact.

Cue comment about the mythical good cops that are diligently working for your rights behind the scenes. Please write all your thoughts about good cops in a letter and address it to me at the North Pole.

-Santa.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

This is unfortunate to say the least. I find it hard to believe a prosecutor or grand jury will indict him. Regardless, it certainly shouldn’t stop anyone from doing the right thing in a situation like that.

In Texas (where I live and carry), what he did would have been lawful.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.

(a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
www.texasgunlaws.org...

S&F

edit on 9-1-2014 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Cue inverselookingglass and his usual blanket cop bashing antics. Yawn.

To stay on topic, I think it is absolutely ridiculous. I don't think this will hold any water though.
edit on 9-1-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyarich

SAdly letting innocent people be harmed seems to be the only way to stay out of jail. Personally I can't imagine being sent to jail to live with the very people I despise. To top that off scumbags always have more friends in jail then the good guy that tried to save lives. Noting worse than a righteous man going to jail.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I wasn't there for the incident so I can't really comment on who was right or wrong.

However, if it actually happened how the article states it did, you are correct about it being a double standard. That is not right at all.

I did read a lot of comments on TheBlaze in reference to the article. I laughed and was also a little frustrated at posters saying "how was he supposed to know the gun was fake?"

These same posters were bashing the police in California who tragically killed the 13 year old with the replica ak 47 saying they should of known it was fake.

Double standards definitely exist. On both sides. Neither are right.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

The Blaze is the double standard central. Their readers all hate Obama so much they stopped thinking clearly a long time ago. Maybe if we get a white president they will shut the heck up. I like to browse it for balance to all the left side stuff as well. Plus it makes me feel good about myself to see so many stupid people making comment there.

Makes ATS seem down right balanced and grownup.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is why I've decided that my weapons will be used exclusively for SELF defense. Way too messy to just open fire in some random situation where I'm not personally threatened. I'm no cop and I'm not going to risk my life, freedom or safety by pretending I am one.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
IMO every time a citizen fires a gun there should be some sort of investigation into whether it was legal or not - and then an appropriate authority should decide whether to actually charge based on the facts.

It looks to me like the police have investigated the facts and passed them to the DA - who will decide whether to charge or not - which is entirely appropriate division of responsibility.

I have little doubt the DA will decide to not prosecute - and would be very disappointed otherwise - but ATM I don't actually see a problem with this.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I sure hope you are right. At the very least it needs to be watched carefully as public opinion may be the only thing that saves this man from a ruined life if convicted. A veteran no less.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
"He fired four shots (all missed)"

LOL some Marine

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Unlawful discharge?

REALLY?

Isnt it the duty of every citizen to protect not only themselves, but the people around them when they have the power to do so?

Isnt it a crime NOT to do something, when you had the power to stop it?

More reason to lose whatever respect there is left for the police. They are really pushing it lately.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

As you state in the OP every single one of his shots missed. What if one of this bullets had hit innocent bystander? Would you agree with charges being leveled then? What if he had killed a bystander? At what point do we consider his actions to be reckless?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Superabound

Shoot pistols much? They are about useless outside of 25 ft. Especially in a pinch with moving targets. There is a reason police are trained to dump the entire clip.....

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
reply to post by Mamatus

As you state in the OP every single one of his shots missed. What if one of this bullets had hit innocent bystander? Would you agree with charges being leveled then? What if he had killed a bystander? At what point do we consider his actions to be reckless?

I would think that would come down to whether there were people actually in the line of fire. Besides that many officers have hit innocent people and even other officers in a fire fight. They don't EVER face charges over it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You bring up a good point. People in this thread are complaining about a double standard. Yet anytime an officer discharges thei firearm in the line of duty there is an investigation. So where is the double standard here?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The difference is that they are filing charges prior to an investigation. Unless I missed something in the article. That is the double standard.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
He should live in Florida...this new law trying to pass takes stand your ground one step further.

Link

Florida lawmakers are expected to advance legislation this week that would grant immunity to people who show or fire guns in self-defense.

The so-called “warning shot” bill (SB 448) is scheduled to be heard by the Senate Criminal Justice Committee Wednesday.

The legislation would amend Florida’s “stand your ground” self-defense law to allow Floridians who are being attacked and fear for their lives to legally display guns or fire warning shots.

The measure is also another sign of the Legislature’s tilt in favor of bills expanding gun rights. Lawmakers have already set the tone for the 2014 session when a House committee in November overwhelmingly rejected a move to repeal the stand your ground law — which drew national attention after the shooting death of a Florida teenager in 2012.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

So that's why we practice at 25 yards... A pistol is only as useful at a given range limited only by the user... different pistols have WAY different accuracy ranges. Your statement is ignorant.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join