It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Probes Interior of Tarantula Nebula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

NASA

Like lifting a giant veil, the near-infrared vision of NASA's Hubble Space Telescope uncovers a dazzling new view deep inside the Tarantula Nebula. Hubble reveals a glittering treasure trove of more than 800,000 stars and protostars embedded inside the nebula.
These observations were obtained as part of the Hubble Tarantula Treasury Program.
When complete, the program will produce a large catalog of stellar properties, which will allow astronomers to study a wide range of important topics related to star formation.

Assembled from 438 images that spans 600 light-years, this is A LOT of awesome!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

That looks absolutely stunning. Actually looks like a work of art.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Absolutely spectacular!!!! One look at that should be enough for anyone who doubts we are alone in the universe.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Look, I see the faces in there of Jesus, Martin Luther King, Natalie Portman, John Wilkes Booth, Hitler, and Scooby-Doo! What does it all mean?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Rainbowresidue

That looks absolutely stunning. Actually looks like a work of art.
Thanks for sharing.

Mother nature. She is a world renown artist. And probably not just on this world either....

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Blue Shift
Look, I see the faces in there of Jesus, Martin Luther King, Natalie Portman, John Wilkes Booth, Hitler, and Scooby-Doo! What does it all mean?

Pareidolia perhaps?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
awesome. thank you very much.

now if we could only develop the propulsion needed to go there.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Blue Shift

I see Mark Twain with his brow furrowed and with cigar smoke in front of his face. Or maybe Jerry Garcia.

NONPOINT21

Absolutely spectacular!!!! One look at that should be enough for anyone who doubts we are alone in the universe.

While that image is stunningly beautiful, the idea of 800,000 stars and protostars doesn't really do it for me as much as a graphic like this, where every little white dot is a galaxy and every galaxy has billions of stars -- plus this graphic is only a small portion of the known universe:

edit on 1/9/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wouldn't the night sky be wild if you were living on a planet in there? Visiting here you would look up and go "meh, it's alright"

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Such wondrous beauty....!! Thanks for posting this I might not have seen it otherwise...!

s/f dude

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When I first saw the headline I instantly thought "Halo Jones!" And then I realised that I no longer as young as I thought I was... (sigh)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

This shows an area of the Tarantula Nebula named R136, which provides most of the light of the nebula. Its Wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org...

R136 produces most of the energy that makes the Tarantula Nebula visible. The estimated mass of the cluster is 450,000 solar masses, suggesting it will probably become a globular cluster in the future. The cluster R136 contains several components. The anomalous stars massing over the empirical limit of 150 solar masses found within the star cluster are theorized to originate from the collision and merger of the massive stellar components of close binary systems, resulting in ultramassive stars over that limit.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have said this, I would LOVE to have a mural of these pics behind my couch.

When I see things like this, I feel like a proton size particle compared to what I am.

Thank you for sharing...

Puts things into perspective...

join